Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:40 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,612,402 times
No matter where you go or think of going, there will be those who are dissatisfied with it and will try to deter you from seeking your happiness there. The same that you've heard about Vegas has been said about almost every city you can name in the country. Take it with a grain of salt. It stems from unhappy people who sought happiness when they wouldn't know it even if they found it. You know what they say - misery loves company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 12:13 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,474,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
No matter where you go or think of going, there will be those who are dissatisfied with it and will try to deter you from seeking your happiness there. The same that you've heard about Vegas has been said about almost every city you can name in the country. Take it with a grain of salt. It stems from unhappy people who sought happiness when they wouldn't know it even if they found it. You know what they say - misery loves company.

What a great Post! Agree with you 100%

Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM

818 posts, read 3,699,755 times
All of the defense for Las Vegas is true, and you can have a wonderful wholesome family life there, but let's not kid ourselves. The sex, nightlife and party culture is far more advanced in Las Vegas. There are more parents working evenings in Las Vegas than anywhere else. These are not reasons to avoid living in Las Vegas or raising your family there, but the OP asked why do people not want to raise their families in LV.

They are legitimate reasons, not deal breakers, but not figments of our imaginations either. Simply stating that anyone who may think that Vegas is any different is simply miserable and wants to bring others down with them is missing the point. Vegas has many pros and cons associated with it, and they can be discussed rationally so that people can make rational decisions.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,511,811 times
Chest....when did you leave LV????? You've been one of its strongest resident supporters for so long. How long did you live in LV?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:12 PM

818 posts, read 3,699,755 times
I moved up to Washington last month to take a job opportunity. The job is great, but I am also excited about the chance to raise my kids somewhere besides Las Vegas. I still own two homes in downtown Las Vegas, and I still feel strongly about the redevelopment plan, but I'll just rent them out until I feel like it's the right time to sell them.

I lived in Las Vegas for 16 years, with one year off in 2001 where my wife and I lived in Barcelona. I really got to know the city like the back of my hand and loved coming on this board to give helpful advice and talk about the city. It's kind of fun going on the Seattle board as a newcomer and asking questions instead of answering them. I still love reading this board and chiming in now and then, and I promise not to become one of those people who leave town then come on the board and bash the city.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest Rockwell View Post
All of the defense for Las Vegas is true, and you can have a wonderful wholesome family life there, but let's not kid ourselves. The sex, nightlife and party culture is far more advanced in Las Vegas. There are more parents working evenings in Las Vegas than anywhere else. These are not reasons to avoid living in Las Vegas or raising your family there, but the OP asked why do people not want to raise their families in LV.

They are legitimate reasons, not deal breakers, but not figments of our imaginations either. Simply stating that anyone who may think that Vegas is any different is simply miserable and wants to bring others down with them is missing the point. Vegas has many pros and cons associated with it, and they can be discussed rationally so that people can make rational decisions.
I still have to disagree Chest. To a large degree the bad streets of Las Vegas never get to the level of the bad streets of Cleveland or Rochester. Just culturally different.

You lived in an area where you may have felt the "Las Vegas" spirit very strongly. But the mid cities neighborhoods have to be compared to midcities elsewhere...and I suspect Las Vegas does OK. But, under any circumstances they do not read on Summerlin or GV or the NW.

While the town is 24 hours so are lots of others. It may be a little more at the end of the distribution...but I doubt you can even tell in the middle and upper middle neighborhoods.

When you shake it all down it is actually a much nicer, kinder and more gentle place than much of the east and the rust belt. It mostly lacks the bad areas.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,334,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I still have to disagree Chest. To a large degree the bad streets of Las Vegas never get to the level of the bad streets of Cleveland or Rochester. Just culturally different.

You lived in an area where you may have felt the "Las Vegas" spirit very strongly. But the mid cities neighborhoods have to be compared to midcities elsewhere...and I suspect Las Vegas does OK. But, under any circumstances they do not read on Summerlin or GV or the NW.

While the town is 24 hours so are lots of others. It may be a little more at the end of the distribution...but I doubt you can even tell in the middle and upper middle neighborhoods.

When you shake it all down it is actually a much nicer, kinder and more gentle place than much of the east and the rust belt. It mostly lacks the bad areas.
LV is a mecca for the low to mid level hustler. True, violent crime rate is much worse in other cities, but, in reality LV is also the "service" mecca of the world. It is up to each parent to decide whether or not they want their children to be raised with a future in "service", or choose a locale where economic, social, and cultural diversity dominates the landscape. And, for your information, CRIMINALS of all types live in ALL neighborhoods in EVERY city. Question is: would you rather live next to the guy who sells kilo's, or the guy who sells grams---the guy who has a stable of two girls, or twenty---the guy who dupes people into time-shares, or the gaming equity market?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,416,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Question is: would you rather live next to the guy who sells kilo's, or the guy who sells grams---the guy who has a stable of two girls, or twenty---the guy who dupes people into time-shares, or the gaming equity market?
hmmm.....

1. depends what he's selling.

2. depends on the girls.

3. tie

Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,334,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
hmmm.....

1. depends what he's selling.

2. depends on the girls.

3. tie
My point is, criminals on all levels live somewhere. The lower criminals live in lower spots, higher criminals can afford a better spot. Does living next to a "higher" criminal prove a better lifestyle? On the surface, yes, in reality, no; as a neighbor, you are likely to be subject to substandard, and deviant social behavior a career criminal will provide.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:56 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,416,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
My point is, criminals on all levels live somewhere. The lower criminals live in lower spots, higher criminals can afford a better spot. Does living next to a "higher" criminal prove a better lifestyle? On the surface, yes, in reality, no; as a neighbor, you are likely to be subject to substandard, and deviant social behavior a career criminal will provide.
i know...and a valid point as much of perception is appearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas