Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,474,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightonbro View Post
Thanks again everyone. I thought about putting in a good 20% under list, but I'm just going to pass on writing up an offer. I am a first-time buyer and this is just making me too nervous. Plus, there's just too much inventory out there right now. Who knows, I might come back to it in a couple of weeks if the other offer doesn't go through.

Too bad. Quite a nice place overall. If the whole toilet thing hadn't happened I'd probably be on the offer right now (but then again, it would have been a different house 'cos it wouldn't have been rebuilt).

GoreeGal: Do a google maps search on Shoreline Drive in The Lakes, and then go take a drive through there someday. You'll see what I mean as far as uniqueness.

olecapt: Point is moot now that I'm passing, but my agent says that they are required to disclose, and if I bought and resold the house, I'd be required to disclose. Not true?
There is a product that you can apply to the wood. It is called Mold Care or Bora Care.

The Bora care is used as a Termite pretreatment when most houses are built in town. Most homes in Las Vegas have them, if they were built within the last 9 years. The Bora Care, can actually prevent the mold. Just pm with the developement and builder and I would be able to tell you if the home had that type of pretreatment. I worked for one of the only companies that applied that product. The Bora care can prevent the mold, but homes are only treated the first floor, 27 inches up. We would apply it to a home that had water leaks for Richmond American.

The Mold Care can be applied through a wall injection. I do not know what companies are applying it right now. The company I worked for got bought out, and I do not think they are applying it. There is one company that might be and that would be Apple Pest Control. We are not applying it right now. Here is there website for the company that makes the products Nisus Corporation. Also if you are interested in the treatment for peace of mind, you can contact Nisus and they can give you information for a company in town that would be able to take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
There is a product that you can apply to the wood. It is called Mold Care or Bora Care.

The Bora care is used as a Termite pretreatment when most houses are built in town. Most homes in Las Vegas have them, if they were built within the last 9 years. The Bora Care, can actually prevent the mold. Just pm with the developement and builder and I would be able to tell you if the home had that type of pretreatment. I worked for one of the only companies that applied that product. The Bora care can prevent the mold, but homes are only treated the first floor, 27 inches up. We would apply it to a home that had water leaks for Richmond American.

The Mold Care can be applied through a wall injection. I do not know what companies are applying it right now. The company I worked for got bought out, and I do not think they are applying it. There is one company that might be and that would be Apple Pest Control. We are not applying it right now. Here is there website for the company that makes the products Nisus Corporation. Also if you are interested in the treatment for peace of mind, you can contact Nisus and they can give you information for a company in town that would be able to take care of you.
The mold remediation operations around town all use high powered bactericides to treat wood areas not removed. If it is bad they generally remove the wood. But surface stufl they clean it and treat with a bactericide. Once you get mold in the wallboard it has to come down. And has to be treated as hazardous waste. YOu end up with the whole house tented and under negative pressure until you get all the moldy stuff out.

It is a fun process.

I think mold remediation works pretty will in these dry arid climates where there is no source of water.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 AM

1,365 posts, read 4,474,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
The mold remediation operations around town all use high powered bactericides to treat wood areas not removed. If it is bad they generally remove the wood. But surface stufl they clean it and treat with a bactericide. Once you get mold in the wallboard it has to come down. And has to be treated as hazardous waste. YOu end up with the whole house tented and under negative pressure until you get all the moldy stuff out.

It is a fun process.

I think mold remediation works pretty will in these dry arid climates where there is no source of water.
These products actually go into the wood before the mold happens. you spray it an it goes into the wood, and prevents the mold from growing. Lets say you just had the a pipe bust in the wall. You would treat the wood areas that were wet, with the products, then the mold would not grow.

So it is pretty much the same thing, but I am sure it is less expensive, due to the fact that it is not a mold company doing the work! LOL

Old 10-02-2008, 12:34 PM

85 posts, read 287,577 times
Default Skip it

I would skip over the mold check...and if it were true that the home is in a flood zone, then it will flood again and you would be paying for all the overhauls. Flood zones = Normal, customary, traditional path of water. In essence, flood once = will recur time and again. Ask the Imperial Palace since they flood every July due to Caesar's building up, forcing flood water from "Flamingo Wash" into Imperial Palace.

I would pick a different house, different location, higher land.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
it wasn't flooded by rain it was flooded from the top down by a toilet.....yuk

Old 10-02-2008, 12:57 PM

85 posts, read 287,577 times
Even worse....LOL...but then again...It could happen again....so it's not a house - it's a condo. Do you want those same irresponsible neighbors above you? I wouldn't.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
I THINK [withour re reading a ton of posts] that the OP said it was a 2 story house and the second floor toilet over flowed.......

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole but just tryin to get the facts straight......

Old 10-02-2008, 09:07 PM

51 posts, read 187,778 times
Mold can be worse than you think. Many types are neurotoxic and the toxins have been used in BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS and WARFARE. My wife and I have been messed up for 4 years from exposure to mold. We can no longer live in Florida because of it. And we went to the best doctor in the world for mold exposure. Seriously, stay away from any and all flood damage. That includes the entire city of New Orleans.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,225,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbh View Post
Mold can be worse than you think. Many types are neurotoxic and the toxins have been used in BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS and WARFARE. My wife and I have been messed up for 4 years from exposure to mold. We can no longer live in Florida because of it. And we went to the best doctor in the world for mold exposure. Seriously, stay away from any and all flood damage. That includes the entire city of New Orleans.
Having a sensitivity to mold myself I in no way minimize it. But you have to understand the difference in the environment. Mold here does very badly it must have an independent source of water...the environment will not otherwise support it. In FL every elevator shaft has mold. Here they are dry and mold free.

A flood does not cause mold. It takes three or four days to start and a week or more to be significant. If you dry the place in two days there is no mold.

If you remove the mold in this climate even if small residue is left the environment basically keeps it dry and inert. As long as dry nothing happens.

Mold here is always associated with a water source. A leak is really required. The worst case is a slow leak concealed that runs for a long time.

As I have said before most houses have had a minor water leak. If you ban them the housing stock will go away.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:34 PM

73 posts, read 337,013 times
Yes, it's a 2-story place SFR and the upstairs was flooded.

olecapt thanks for the explanation. What you say makes sense - thinking about keeping this house in my back pocket.

Got another question if y'all don't mind: Anyone have any anecdotal evidence/opinions on how far from powerlines a house needs to be in order to be "safe?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: