Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe whoever wins Nov 4 a big difference is immediate for us down the "food chain?&am
Yes, if Obama wins 6 46.15%
Yes, if McCain wins 2 15.38%
No, regardless of who wins 5 38.46%
No, only if justice is renewed by us 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times

Advertisements

Just after you pass the lookout at the north end of the valley and get to the western wall there is a right turn available. It is the old road to Pahrump.

You take it and go in a few hundred yards to parking on the left.

Park and take that trail. It goes back to the waterfall in a box canyon.

It is used by the school district for elemenetary children so even a guy with bad knees can make it if he takes it easy.

Proabably not great at the moment as the water flow is likely low. Can be particularly neat in January or February where there is a lot of flow and it freezes in the box canyon. The whole place is coatedwith a half inch of ice.

A little bit of winter wonderland in Las Vegas.

Stop at the center and get a map. That will also help. But that is the easiest hike in Red Rock.

You can also take the old road back toward Pahrump. We have gone in a mile or so. Any further you may need four wheel drive.

The spider was certainly a tarnantula. Nothing else that big around. Next time pick him up and put him in the bushes.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:14 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,166,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martian82 View Post
I think it's hard to meet people just doing everyday things like going to get coffee or grocery shopping, unless you're looking for desperate people to date. However, it's really easy if you just find something you're interested in and join a group that does it or take a class. Yoga, filmmaking, dance, writing, sports, whatever you like is available and generally filled with people looking for friends who have the same interests.
No its not. It may be hard for you but someone with a better than average personality, sense of humor, and dress neat/clean should not have aproblem meeting people any and everywhere.

Sometimes you just have to initiate a convo or show a smile.

I will be moving there by myself in less than 4 months and the last thing I am worried about is how I will meet people. I never thought I would meet friendly Koreans out here and now I have 2 Korean friends that I hang with all the time.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 6,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
No its not. It may be hard for you but someone with a better than average personality, sense of humor, and dress neat/clean should not have aproblem meeting people any and everywhere.

I will be moving there by myself in less than 4 months and the last thing I am worried about is how I will meet people. I never thought I would meet friendly Koreans out here and now I have 2 Korean friends that I hang with all the time.

Cool that helps put my kind at ease. Ya I def present myself and am outgoing. Where'd you meet your Korean friends?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 PM

52 posts, read 176,184 times
No, it's a huge complaint I hear all the time about Vegas. It's not the Vegas way, and locals are usually very wary of a stranger talking to them in a place like that because it generally does not happen here. When it does, people tend to find the initiators are either trying to sell something or get laid. I hear it constantly from people who have recently moved to the area, and I've witnessed it myself plenty.

Congratulations on meeting Koreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post

Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,693,251 times
i agree with martian82 and when you go to the supermarket most people don't want to talk to you because they are too busy with their own life...

Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,303,392 times
I would never in a trillion years consider Arkansas as a place to move to. I stay out west. The farthest "east" I go is Colorado, Utah or New Mexico.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Nice trip to Red Rock. Very cool formations and colors. Beautiful weather. Pretty busy there. Saw quite a few gutsy people scaling the rock.

The only wildlife I saw besides birds was a huge tarantula looking spider crossing the street. We stopped and I was about to take a picture of it, but there were a zillion cars piling up behind us. Guy behind us went around it. Guy behind him decided to go on it. No more spider- I wish we would have waited until it crossed. And I HATE spiders-even teeny ones. This one was about the size of a golf ball-maybe a little bigger.

Next time I would like to hike a trail. I think you would see more. Seems most of the trails are around an hour or so long.
The car that ran over the innocent tarantula will have bad karma rain down on them. May a trillion giant cockroaches crawl in their bed tonight.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:47 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,954,362 times
Quote:
The spider was certainly a tarnantula. Nothing else that big around. Next time pick him up and put him in the bushes.
And they won't bite you? Oh, and btw, I was corrected in my size estimation. He says it was about as big as a baseball. I guess squinting my eyes distorted the size. Thank God.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:54 AM

I'm too outgoing and talk to everyone.. some people just give me that look that says "uh oh, a crazy person." Because i'm talking to people I don't know. Most are friendly enough and they actually also talk.
None have ever had a hidden agenda..well, except for the guy with the voter registration thing yesterday. He looked like Jay Mohr, so I stopped to talk to him for awhile.

Last edited by PinkString; 10-06-2008 at 12:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 AM

If you don't want to pick them up, you can guide them with a magazine and shoo them off of the roadway. I used to shoo them out of my apt in Calif with a dustpan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas