Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times

Advertisements

Why are old posts being revived with a nearly duplicate one right below it about how dog friendly LV is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 06:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
If you are able to stand the severe brightness of the daytime sun, your dog cant and has no way to tell you. Both my dogs wear a hat with just the visor if the sun is up. The visors block the sun from their delicate eyes and they will love you for it.

Gotta admit I have never seen this doggie restriction before. Bright light severely affects dogs' eyes? Huhh? Shouldn't I have heard this from
a vet before or in a dog magazine or something?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:54 PM

56 posts, read 118,785 times
If my little guy is outside he is on a leash. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love dogs more than people. My best friend is always on a leash so I can protect him from harm. Letting your dog outside without him being on a leash is just setting him and you up for trouble.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz789 View Post
If my little guy is outside he is on a leash. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love dogs more than people. My best friend is always on a leash so I can protect him from harm. Letting your dog outside without him being on a leash is just setting him and you up for trouble.
Darn hard for a dog on a leash to run down a ground squirrel...which is what the terriers live for. Or even to participate in the futile task of chasing a rabbit.

Dogs were not made to spend their lives on leashes....

Old 08-15-2010, 09:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,300 times
Here's an article from LA Times:

http://www.vegas.com/alwaysopen/pdfs/032609.pdf

Old 08-16-2010, 04:10 PM

56 posts, read 118,785 times
OleCapt, in a perfect world I would agree that dogs should be allowed to run free. In a perfect world there would not be "leash laws". In a perfect world there would not be cars driven by people who can't stop or choice not to stop when a dog runs out in the street. In a perfect world ... I think you get my point.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:26 PM

90 posts, read 185,028 times
Hey you guys -- who are your favorite vets on the west side? I have a big girl (ridgeback) and haven't yet begun researching where we're going to be taking her.

Boy is she NOT liking the hot weather, btw

Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,567,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz789 View Post
OleCapt, in a perfect world I would agree that dogs should be allowed to run free. In a perfect world there would not be "leash laws". In a perfect world there would not be cars driven by people who can't stop or choice not to stop when a dog runs out in the street. In a perfect world ... I think you get my point.

It obviously depends on the situation. If you're out in the desert I don't think you are going to be concerned about cars running them over. There is no replacement for common sense. Most people who love their dogs also have a fairly good understanding of the dogs "personality" and if it will come when called. Just a word of caution on a different note as well; I have heard a few stories of people bringing pit bulls into gated dog parks around the valley and deliberately sicking them on other dogs. Supposedly there was a fist fight at sunset park over this the other day.The owners of these dogs have no compassion for them as animals and only wish to display their fighting prowess.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,863,454 times
As far as pet friendliness goes, Las Vegas biggest downside is probably that it's a desert. If you like to take your dog out for runs or hikes in open spaces, there isn't a lot of grass or soft dirt trails for them to run on outside of city parks. The natural open environment is hard rocky ground with prickly brush. Which means its easy for sharp dried spiky things to poke a pets foot. I've pretty much given up on taking the dog out to desert areas as the liklihood of something sharp poking a paw is so high.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk View Post
As far as pet friendliness goes, Las Vegas biggest downside is probably that it's a desert. If you like to take your dog out for runs or hikes in open spaces, there isn't a lot of grass or soft dirt trails for them to run on outside of city parks. The natural open environment is hard rocky ground with prickly brush. Which means its easy for sharp dried spiky things to poke a pets foot. I've pretty much given up on taking the dog out to desert areas as the liklihood of something sharp poking a paw is so high.
Prior dog was virtually immune. Take off after a rabbit like a bat out of hell and both the rabbit and he would go sailing over prickly pear and such and careen through underbrush without a scratch or a splinter.

Current dog is leash confined and is prone to picking up thorns...so it is animal specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas