Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:46 PM

6 posts, read 18,430 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I just wanted some input on where to move. I am 25 years old, just finished my business degree on Vancouver Island and was thinking about moving to Vegas. I am have been there once before and thought it seemed like a resort town. I sold my home on vancouver island and part of the attraction to Las Vegas is that I could be almost mortgage free.

So I was wondering what the job market is like down there and if there are any other Canadians that have done a similiar move and how was it getting a work visa and so on.

Thanks for any input you may have,

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 79,175 times
If I were you I'd find a job before you move here. The slow economy is causing lots of resorts to cut jobs.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:25 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Haven't you heard? LV is in a depression now. It is highly advisable to find a job before moving your life here. Your economy is booming right now. Why would you want to leave that beautiful island?

What type a job are you looking for? Hopefully not construction because there is nothing right now. Do you have your papers in order? It's not easy. I know, I been through it all. The men at Peace Arch knew us by name as well as the dumb azzes at Immigration.

Give some more details on your move....

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverisland View Post
Hey everyone,

I just wanted some input on where to move. I am 25 years old, just finished my business degree on Vancouver Island and was thinking about moving to Vegas. I am have been there once before and thought it seemed like a resort town. I sold my home on vancouver island and part of the attraction to Las Vegas is that I could be almost mortgage free.

So I was wondering what the job market is like down there and if there are any other Canadians that have done a similiar move and how was it getting a work visa and so on.

Thanks for any input you may have,

Derek
There are certainly other places in the country with more affordable housing than Las Vegas, although I cannot speak on their quality of life or desirability. I will tell you that there is definitely not a large financial sector out here. What was your major? What type of career are you looking for?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Thanks for all of your input. My major was finance; right now I work as a Financial Consultant for investors group. Our economy is just on the brink of really slowing down, and being young I thought it would be nice to try living somewhere else while I don’t have the commitment of a family and stuff. I was really lucky to sell my home as the real estate market has totally flattened and there is talk about it going down.

Some of the things I like about Vegas are the warmer weather, affordable housing, resort like atmosphere of the strip, and city. It is a newer city with a lot of energy. I am hoping to get a job in the business field; I really do like finance and investments but am willing to try something different if need be.
Las Vegas is in a depression right now but don’t you think it will rebound, 2 or 3 years down the road it will be much different. Maybe I am wrong but I welcome your feedback.

Thanks so much!!

Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your input. My major was finance; right now I work as a Financial Consultant for investors group. Our economy is just on the brink of really slowing down, and being young I thought it would be nice to try living somewhere else while I don’t have the commitment of a family and stuff. I was really lucky to sell my home as the real estate market has totally flattened and there is talk about it going down.

Some of the things I like about Vegas are the warmer weather, affordable housing, resort like atmosphere of the strip, and city. It is a newer city with a lot of energy. I am hoping to get a job in the business field; I really do like finance and investments but am willing to try something different if need be.
Las Vegas is in a depression right now but don’t you think it will rebound, 2 or 3 years down the road it will be much different. Maybe I am wrong but I welcome your feedback.

Thanks so much!!
Unless you happen to be a US citizen you will have problems picking up a visa. You really would need a corporate sponsor. The US is much less friendly toward Canadian emigrees than it used to be. Look into the hard before you get very far into the project.

You might try simply getting hired before you come. The corporations in Las Vegas can handle the visa problems if they chose to.

The employment climate has slowed but not terribly in the areas that would likely interest you. So it is quite possible you can find a position though I don't know how they will feel about the visa thing.

My wife, sometimes referred to here as The Admiral, is a Canadian though she is now an American as well.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:

Thanks so much!!
It sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulder's. I would definitely visit the city again and search the forum as well. Vegas is just not meant for some people, but it sounds like you know exactly what you want. Just do your due diligence, you know?

On another note, there are 2 different types of financial consultant positions out here. There is your traditional Merrill Lynch type financial consultant who deals with the higher net worth individual and makes a nice salary plus commission based bonus structure, and then you have your Ameriquest type financial consultants who make a very weak salary and their compensation is heavily dependant upon commissions. The Ameriquest consultants are the type of financial consultants that sell annuities to senior citizens due to the commission based compensation structure and high pressure atmosphere. Do you have your series 6, 7, 55, or 63? Do those even apply in Canada? Any accounting or financial analyst experience?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Is it true your housing in Canada is reaching an end to the boom? That was a short one. Back about 11 years ago I took a year off from life's responsibilities and lived on Vancouver Island among the other Hippys like myself. I had an easy time getting a 6 month landed immigrant and one 6 month additional extention but from there I got a hard time.

I did eventually meet a Canadian woman and for me to stay there was just too hard. Besides, at that time your economy was very very bad. 1997 or so. We got a good immigration lawyer from here in Vegas who coached us through the move.

Many easy immigration loopholes have been removed to friendly countries while America still allows enemy countries to come here with ease. That wife (now ex) did have American family here. In the early 90s and before, if you had a brother, sister, mother, father in America already as a legal citizen then you can immigrate into the USA with ease. They removed that loophole.

Like Olecapt said...find a company who will sponser you. That does make the whole immigration thing easier. If not then hire a good immigration Lawyer because they know how the process works. The very day I took her to the old Immigration Office on Pecos and Sunset we walked with our Lawyer right past the long long long lines and right to the front with our personalized appointment. The whole thing was done in 30 minutes. I believe it cost about $1500 total to bring here here. That was 10 years ago, Im sure it's more now.

There are still several easy ways to get into the USA as well as Canada. All countries need specific skills. Like Engineers for example. If you are an Engineer you may be able to skip all the BS and come right in with minimal paperwork. And some countries you can just buy your citizenship. I have a good friend who is retiring and moving to Thailand. For $400,000 US deposited into a Thai bank, you get instant citizenship. The money basicly shows you are financially sound and will not be a burdon on that countries government.

Maybe you should look at cities with a financial district. LV certianly is not one of them. I hate to suggest NYC because it is such a cesspool. Sounds like you have lots of research to do.

Good luck to ya......

Old 08-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
It sounds like you have a very good head on your shoulder's. I would definitely visit the city again and search the forum as well. Vegas is just not meant for some people, but it sounds like you know exactly what you want. Just do your due diligence, you know?

On another note, there are 2 different types of financial consultant positions out here. There is your traditional Merrill Lynch type financial consultant who deals with the higher net worth individual and makes a nice salary plus commission based bonus structure, and then you have your Ameriquest type financial consultants who make a very weak salary and their compensation is heavily dependant upon commissions. The Ameriquest consultants are the type of financial consultants that sell annuities to senior citizens due to the commission based compensation structure and high pressure atmosphere. Do you have your series 6, 7, 55, or 63? Do those even apply in Canada? Any accounting or financial analyst experience?

Thanks for the info. In Canada it is Different, I have an insurance license along with my mutual funds license. I am also working towards my CFP (Certified Financial Planner) designation. Right now I work as a financial consultant with no salary, 100% commission. I would much rather get a job with some type of a base salary just for the security of always being able to pay my bills.

I don’t have my series 6, 7, 55, or 63

but I will check into that more. Thanks so much for the info!!!

Old 08-28-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Is it true your housing in Canada is reaching an end to the boom? That was a short one. Back about 11 years ago I took a year off from life's responsibilities and lived on Vancouver Island among the other Hippys like myself. I had an easy time getting a 6 month landed immigrant and one 6 month additional extention but from there I got a hard time.

I did eventually meet a Canadian woman and for me to stay there was just too hard. Besides, at that time your economy was very very bad. 1997 or so. We got a good immigration lawyer from here in Vegas who coached us through the move.

Many easy immigration loopholes have been removed to friendly countries while America still allows enemy countries to come here with ease. That wife (now ex) did have American family here. In the early 90s and before, if you had a brother, sister, mother, father in America already as a legal citizen then you can immigrate into the USA with ease. They removed that loophole.

Like Olecapt said...find a company who will sponser you. That does make the whole immigration thing easier. If not then hire a good immigration Lawyer because they know how the process works. The very day I took her to the old Immigration Office on Pecos and Sunset we walked with our Lawyer right past the long long long lines and right to the front with our personalized appointment. The whole thing was done in 30 minutes. I believe it cost about $1500 total to bring here here. That was 10 years ago, Im sure it's more now.

There are still several easy ways to get into the USA as well as Canada. All countries need specific skills. Like Engineers for example. If you are an Engineer you may be able to skip all the BS and come right in with minimal paperwork. And some countries you can just buy your citizenship. I have a good friend who is retiring and moving to Thailand. For $400,000 US deposited into a Thai bank, you get instant citizenship. The money basicly shows you are financially sound and will not be a burdon on that countries government.

Maybe you should look at cities with a financial district. LV certianly is not one of them. I hate to suggest NYC because it is such a cesspool. Sounds like you have lots of research to do.

Good luck to ya......
Yes housing has become so expensive here, you would be hard pressed to find a new home on vancouver island for under 400k(and that would be a starter home) we had about 3 good years of market increases between 15 and 25% but now that has totally dropped off.

Thanks for all the info about an immigration lawyer, I had not thought about that yet but will be sure to check it out. I think I will do some more research with companies that will maybe sponser me, I can see this may be a longer process than what I had expected, but I guess that is apart of the journey.

Thanks for all the info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: