Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 12:48 PM

364 posts, read 991,097 times

Advertisements

After eight and long dreadful years of living in Las Vegas, I finally make enough to leave - and it was the best decision I ever made!!! I don't miss it one bit. And for those of you who think that the Vegas economy is impervious to anything, do your research. Just a couple of months ago MGM MIRAGE laid off 440 positions. Even Encore will feel the pinch. The best of luck to everyone.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:54 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
When Lake Meade runs dry Vegas will too.

You've been in Las Vegas for 30 years and you still can't spell Lake Mead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzito View Post
Oooh Spelling error. Wow that really hurt.

I'm just saying that if you want anyone to believe you've lived here 30 years and you're an expert, you should at least show that you know the landmarks that are world renowned.

Ya know when someone runs out of unemployment they are no longer counted. Doesn't mean they're employed.
While the methods used to determine unemployment have changed since the 70's, 80's, and 90's, the percentages now are more accurate, even though they are only a guide. But the percentages back then were even higher than they are now. It's a given that he numbers of people are higher now since the population is higher, and I'm not saying it's a good situation. It's just not desperate. When people stop filing for unemployment it could mean that they got a job, they gave up, they moved away and didn't file an interstate claim in the new area, or various other reasons besides using up their benefits. Right now Congress has OK'd extended benefits. I've seen them wait until unemployment got a lot higher than it is now to do that, but it's an election year. The sky is not falling, it's only a thunder storm.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:57 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco Franko View Post
You must be some sort of Wizard. According to you it's boom town.
I'm not exactly understanding what you are trying to say. I was simply refuting what the OP posted, and doing so with the local paper's job classified. I don't know how that qualifies me as a wizard, or Las Vegas as a boomtown. The FACT remains that there is employment out here though. If you can't find any it's either because you aren't looking hard enough or your are not a desirable employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtella2000 View Post
That must be a realtor. Suck up the 6%.
Unemployed people can't buy houses. How many times does this need to be said. Unless you plan on buying a home with cash there is no way in hell that you are going to get a home, as one cannot qualify for a mortgage, without steady employment. So I will say it again, and again, and I will say it as many times as it needs to be said until it sinks in to the talking heads.

If you cannot find employment out here it is either because you are not looking hard enough or you do not possess a desirable skill, education, or experience.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
If you cannot find employment out here it is either because you are not looking hard enough or you do not possess a desirable skill, education, or experience.[/b]
I totally agree except for the "out here" part. We are in the center of the universe and everyone else is "out there". Ha.

I keep hearing people ask if there are any jobs here without saying what kind of jobs they are looking for. Of course there are always jobs here, but it depends on what kind of jobs that you want, and what you can bring to the table. I once interviewed a man who moved here with no knowledge of what kind of jobs there were (actually I interviewed dozens like him). When I asked him what kind of job he did back home he said "plant work". I said since there really aren't any plants here, what did he expect to look for here; was there something else he could do? He looked at me blankly and said "plant work". Okey dokey.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Facts are: Economy is down IN THE ENTIRE USA! Some markets have more jobs than others, but it also relates to your personal skills. Please do not come to ANY CITY if you do not have the right skills for that market. If you have skills that fit Las Vegas and you have a job lined up, then please come down! The OP didn't have the right skills for the Las Vegas market, so he didn't have any luck finding a job and he insists he listened to a RE agent and was lured to Las Vegas. A lot of people were lured because they thought they would make a killing on a RE flip scenario. A lot of them also missed mark.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Facts are: Economy is down IN THE ENTIRE USA! Some markets have more jobs than others, but it also relates to your personal skills. Please do not come to ANY CITY if you do not have the right skills for that market. If you have skills that fit Las Vegas and you have a job lined up, then please come down! The OP didn't have the right skills for the Las Vegas market, so he didn't have any luck finding a job and he insists he listened to a RE agent and was lured to Las Vegas. A lot of people were lured because they thought they would make a killing on a RE flip scenario. A lot of them also missed mark.
exactly.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM

103 posts, read 327,117 times
I don't care what kind of negativity anyone tries to shove down my throat, the hubs and I are leaving FL on 8/13 with enough $$ to survive jobless for at least 3 mos. I have checked in with a former employer who has a location out there and was told to check in when I get there. $8/hr might hurt but if the hubs and I each make $9/hr at 40 hrs a week each we won't be loosing any money than what we make right now and the extended stay hotel is A LOT cheaper than our $800 mo rent + $250 mo elec bill $150 mo cable/inet/phone bill and other expenses. Again I will say sometimes it's all about attitude, if you feel like you won't find work then the person interviewing you will get the vibe from you that you don't deserve the job and will give it to someone who gives off the better attitude. I WILL DO WELL THERE! I am LMT in FL and I know it will take me at least 2-3 years to get a good Massage Therapy job. You have to be willing to start at the bottom ANYTIME you pick up and move like this and we are. So to the OP...go try to sell your negativity to someone who does not believe in themself because those are the type of people who will buy it, not me!

Old 07-21-2008, 04:18 PM

231 posts, read 587,363 times
Reality: There are alot more people looking for work then there are jobs. Yes, you may see job postings in the paper, in monster or careerbuilder but if 100 people apply for every job opening your odds go way down of actually even getting an interview.

Unemployment in Vegas is at 30 year highs!! I would not recommend moving here without a job.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Reality: There are alot more people looking for work then there are jobs. Yes, you may see job postings in the paper, in monster or careerbuilder but if 100 people apply for every job opening your odds go way down of actually even getting an interview.

Unemployment in Vegas is at 30 year highs!! I would not recommend moving here without a job.
just outta curiosity, would you recommend moving anywhere w/o a job?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,710,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post

So what city has a surplus of jobs? Where would you point people to go where there isn't enough people to fill jobs? IT jobs are in demand in some cities, but most college grads do no even want to go into IT, so those qualified are comming from other countries? There are jobs here in Las Vegas that are in demand, but not everyone can fill them. I think this is true for most cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas