Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:16 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times

Advertisements

you misspelled his last name...it's Buzz123!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattzito View Post
So now you call me a liar.

What a work of art you are.

Ever heard of any of these restaurants?

Two Guys From Italy
Back East Pizza
Alias Smith & Jones
Chateau Vegas
Phillips Supper Club

Those are restaurant that haven't been around for years.

Do you know where Central Park West Apartments use to be?
How about Sunset Sands or Westchester Gardens?

Do you know where Al Depaulis Music or Ted Vesley Music use to be?

stfunoob
I don't believe I called you a liar, I was only saying that you compromised your credibility by misspelling Lake Mead as Lake Meade...but don't get your panties in a bunch. At times I've caught myself about to do the same thing. I was just overreacting to your negative statements that it's never been this bad, and Lake Mead is going to go dry.

And yes, I've actually eaten at all those restaurants you mentioned, and I had a friend who lived at Central Park West. Yes, I remember Ted and Al both. So I guess that's your way of proving you've been here a long time because you know about those places. OK. That's very nice. I believe you.

Now about Lake Mead going dry. As a 30 year resident you should know that ain't gonna happen in our lifetime. And, since you were here 25 years ago you probably remember the Job-A-Thon on KVBC TV-3 that attracted thousands of people looking for jobs, and helped over 1200 that were actually countable find one (not counting the untold many other jobs that were created on the basis of that success). I am very proud to have produced that event. That early relationship with DETR led to my getting a job there in 1991, with the Employment Security Division.

Unemployment was worse in both 1983 and in 1991 than it is now, percentage-wise. It is almost as bad now as it was 14 years ago, but I do believe the facts are that it was worse 18 years ago and 26 years ago. But the population was lower. I think 6+% of 400,000 is less total people out of work than 6+% of 2 million but I'm not that good at math. Also keep in mind that the people who come here looking for work may not be counted if they don't register for work with JobConnect, or don't file an interstate claim at ESD with a local address. Even with all that bad news there will soon be thousands of new jobs going on line with the opening of Encore, and later City Center, and other projects. Don't order the flowers for Las Vegas' funeral just yet.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
you misspelled his last name...it's Buzz123!
I don't care what you call me just don't call me late for dinner.

It would have been Buzzoff but that was either taken or they didn't want me to use it. DMV is the same way.

If we're into nostalgia tonight, I came to Vegas in 1964 when Ch 3 was Ch-2 (KORK-TV). I was in television most of my life until 1991 when I went to work for the State of Nevada.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Where did teens used to party thirty years ago?

The top of Sahara which you call The lakes. Used to be all desert.

Ever heard of The Port Tack?
FYI, when I came here you couldn't even get to the part of Sahara that you're talking about except maybe in a 4x4. Sahara didn't end at Rainbow because there was no Rainbow. No N-S roads that far out. The first time I went to the Vegas Village store on Decatur and Owens, Decatur wasn't paved yet. When I came here teens partied at The Teen Beat Club on Paradise, and they parked with their girlfriends on Sunrise Mountain. Sorry. I couldn't resist getting off subject and going nostalgic on y'all.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:51 PM

45 posts, read 119,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I don't believe I called you a liar, I was only saying that you compromised your credibility by misspelling Lake Mead as Lake Meade...but don't get your panties in a bunch. At times I've caught myself about to do the same thing. I was just overreacting to your negative statements that it's never been this bad, and Lake Mead is going to go dry.

And yes, I've actually eaten at all those restaurants you mentioned, and I had a friend who lived at Central Park West. Yes, I remember Ted and Al both. So I guess that's your way of proving you've been here a long time because you know about those places. OK. That's very nice. I believe you.

Now about Lake Mead going dry. As a 30 year resident you should know that ain't gonna happen in our lifetime. And, since you were here 25 years ago you probably remember the Job-A-Thon on KVBC TV-3 that attracted thousands of people looking for jobs, and helped over 1200 that were actually countable find one (not counting the untold many other jobs that were created on the basis of that success). I am very proud to have produced that event. That early relationship with DETR led to my getting a job there in 1991, with the Employment Security Division.

Unemployment was worse in both 1983 and in 1991 than it is now, percentage-wise. It is almost as bad now as it was 14 years ago, but I do believe the facts are that it was worse 18 years ago and 26 years ago. But the population was lower. I think 6+% of 400,000 is less total people out of work than 6+% of 2 million but I'm not that good at math. Also keep in mind that the people who come here looking for work may not be counted if they don't register for work with JobConnect, or don't file an interstate claim at ESD with a local address. Even with all that bad news there will soon be thousands of new jobs going on line with the opening of Encore, and later City Center, and other projects. Don't order the flowers for Las Vegas' funeral just yet.
I don't recall the Job-A-Thon. Not that I doubt you.

Do you know that the Lake's level is so low and continues to drop that it is going to be in need of a new lower intake tunnel?

I say "The sky is falling" and George Bush still has enough time power and stupidity to plunge us into a shooting war with Iran.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
FYI, when I came here you couldn't even get to the part of Sahara that you're talking about except maybe in a 4x4. Sahara didn't end at Rainbow because there was no Rainbow. No N-S roads that far out. The first time I went to the Vegas Village store on Decatur and Owens, Decatur wasn't paved yet. When I came here teens partied at The Teen Beat Club on Paradise, and they parked with their girlfriends on Sunrise Mountain. Sorry. I couldn't resist getting off subject and going nostalgic on y'all.
I worked at Vegas Village

Old 07-21-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Do you know Mark Fortier?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Do you know Mark Fortier?
No.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I don't recall the Job-A-Thon. Not that I doubt you.

Do you know that the Lake's level is so low and continues to drop that it is going to be in need of a new lower intake tunnel?

I say "The sky is falling" and George Bush still has enough time power and stupidity to plunge us into a shooting war with Iran.
No doubt there has been a drought in the Rockies but that is starting to turn around, if only it keeps it up for a couple more years. I think I heard they had something like 130% of average snowfall this year? I've seen them move Lake Mead Marina several times over the years due to rise and fall of water levels. Didn't know about the intake...or would that be overflow?

If I was in George's shoes I would have already nuked Iran. I think he let his concern about his popularity get in the way of taking out terrorists once and for all. Thank Billary, Teddy, Harry, and Nancy for that...and before anyone makes any assumptions, I'm a Democrat.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:24 AM

Lake Mead links

Las Vegas Water Agency Awards Lake Mead Tunnel Contract - ENR | McGraw-Hill Construction

Arup leads design engineering for 5km intake tunnel at Lake Mead | Arup (http://www.arup.com/americas/newsitem.cfm?pageid=11164 - broken link)

http://www.smartbrief.com/servlet/wi...7-ca5c11478ab7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas