Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 12:14 AM

697 posts, read 3,282,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessjim View Post
thx cj. here is another question i have always wondered: is there a field test for THC? i have always assume not, as it would seem to require blood to be drawn for analysis. but i know there are minimally invasive tests for blood sugar levels (diabetic test kits)...just got me wondering if there was a THC/metabolite test kit as well.

i don't know the quantity of blood required for testing, but w/ today's sensitive assays, it might not require much.

No there is not a reliable field test. One is in the works and showing promise but has yet to be able to narrow down the levels of toxicity (it can only tell if you have used in the last 24 hours). That is a major hurdle in the fight to decriminalize marijuana. A reliable test similar to the one used to detect alcohol would be great.

I for one, am for the legalization of marijuana. The neurological effects are the same as alcohol and with vaporization, you eliminate the cancer causing elements of the drug. But a way to detect it has to be developed first so we do not have a DUI pandemic. My senior capstone project was on the benefits of legalizing marijauna and it was published and recieved great support from the LE community as well as a US senator.

To AA. You will always be under more scrutiny when you refuse a FST and my advice to your friend is to always prove the officer wrong on the street because you do not always know what is in your system. But on the other hand, if the levels were detectable, it was not likely from a surgery a while back(but I have seen stranger things, read on). Poppy seed buns, like those on Arby's beef and chedder can make you test positive in a blood test for opiates too. I know this from experience, I love those things.

Desertsun, Like I said NLVPD gives honest cops no reason to worry. I kinda liked how the Wyoming Highway Patrol made an example of crooked cops and NLVPD seems to do the same. I am looking forward to working for WHP next month (We are going back to care for my sick father in law and I have gotten my old job back). It is unfortunate that we have these issues, but it is a fact of life. Give the wrong people power, and corruption will ensue. Unfortunately, there is no way to keep the wrong people out of power. I just hope that my keen observations and my morals can help keep my department on our side of the law.

Last edited by cjski21; 07-17-2008 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,419,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
No there is not a reliable field test. One is in the works and showing promise but has yet to be able to narrow down the levels of toxicity (it can only tell if you have used in the last 24 hours). That is a major hurdle in the fight to decriminalize marijuana. A reliable test similar to the one used to detect alcohol would be great.
i have always wondered about that....for that very reason. pot is clearly something that is dose and time dependent (just like alcohol), and i figured that the lack of ability to make an accurate measurement in real time might be where some of the resistance against decriminalization comes from (that and the smoking/health component).

for the record, i am also for decriminalization for a long list of reasons....but that begs another legal question: in the hypothetical event that decriminalization occurs, how do we deal w/ past offenders? in other words, there are a LOT of people serving time for marijuana charges...are they all still guilty because when they were caught, it was illegal? or do some get a pass, as the law they were convicted under no longer applies? clearly all can't get a pass as many will still have committed a crime (due to volume/selling/etc.). i can really argue this both ways...

neway, thanks again for the info.

best of luck back in WY.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,174,117 times
According to the news [interview with the troopers Liars] his blood contained less marijuana then did Jessica Williams....So that brings up questions....

I have always felt that Jessica got railroaded....she simply fell asleep.....

Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
i have always wondered about that....for that very reason. pot is clearly something that is dose and time dependent (just like alcohol), and i figured that the lack of ability to make an accurate measurement in real time might be where some of the resistance against decriminalization comes from (that and the smoking/health component).

for the record, i am also for decriminalization for a long list of reasons....but that begs another legal question: in the hypothetical event that decriminalization occurs, how do we deal w/ past offenders? in other words, there are a LOT of people serving time for marijuana charges...are they all still guilty because when they were caught, it was illegal? or do some get a pass, as the law they were convicted under no longer applies? clearly all can't get a pass as many will still have committed a crime (due to volume/selling/etc.). i can really argue this both ways...

neway, thanks again for the info.

best of luck back in WY.
I'll put it to you this way (I do not know for sure, but this is my theory), Dr. Kevorkian still served time for his offence even after doctor assisted suicide was made legal. He commintted the crime when it was illegal so I would imagine the same would go for pot offenders. But it would be nice to see the minor pot offenders released from jail and ease the strain on the jail and prison system. Plus it would be nice if I could focus my efforts elsewhere instead of taking 20 minutes to write a ticket for posession or 2 to 3 hours to book someone into jail for it.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:28 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,329,736 times
On the news today they reported they let the trooper out of jail and is being on paid administrative leave..how nice. He kills a woman, yet he is released on bail plus gets paid for it all. If he were just a regular person, he'd still be in jail.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,340,066 times
The latest news says Lattin had 5.6 nano/mil before it metabolized, and 26 nano/mil after it metabolized. NV law is 2/5 respectively. Well over both limits, and no doubt, stoned. Amazingly, he has retained the same counsel J Williams had------a maximium sentence is forthcoming.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,174,117 times
He'll be writtin tickets in the barbedwire hotel for a long time to come with those levels

Old 07-19-2008, 06:48 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,679,243 times
Quote:
(such as in the william's case mentioned by aqua, i think).
Nope, it wasn't me.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:22 AM

45 posts, read 119,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
Yep, they were showing the pictures on the news again last night! Awful, and I believe a newborn was killed.

They say that he could go away for two to 20 years. Hope its the 20!
He might do two or three years like that Trooper that killed four people
two or three years ago.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM

Yeah probably, but so would anyone else who did the same thing. It is the sentence for Nevada for that type of offense. Unless they can get him for negligent manslaughter or aggravated vehicular homicide (which they should) because then the penalties are stiffer. I feel that the police should be held to a higher standard and therefore should have stiffer penalties. We do, after all, know the consequences better than anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas