Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Doesn't anyone else believe that since his job is to enforce the law that if he breaks them he should get double the normal sentence?

This open season on citizens is really getting ugly out there. I believe in my heart he will get off the charge like all the rest of his kind do. But if not there is a nice comfy special little prison just for cops who break the very silly little laws they jamb down our throats.

I read that other trooper who killed those 4 people doing 122 MPH is getting out for good behavior. Whats it been like 2 months? Damn that makes me sick.
You and I do not agree much, but I am with you on this one. In Wyoming (the last state I was law enforcement in) a cop who strayed to the wrong side of the law was made an example of because of his position and he was put in the state prison. No special treatment. It was general population for him. Here it seems that things like that are just swept under the rug. I try my damndest to be an upstanding member of not only th law enforcemnt community, but my community as well. The way police get away with murder here is appauling. Having seen it from the inside, I am glad to be going back to Wyoming. Don't get me wornf, my department is not bad at all (actually, far from it), but I read about other local departments who commit acts that are unacceptable and it is covered up and the such. I made a good choice in North Las Vegas PD but it is only a matter of time before the corruption reaches this department i think. Unfortunatley, the priorities are not in order here. It is hard to fill the open spots so we must resort to sub-standard recruits to make the hiring quotas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
It wa 2 times the convictable amount. He was stoned.
The news didn't release that info earlier, but if he was stoned, he should get a stiff sentence if convicted, but its not going to be death row like most people would want.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 4,470,645 times
Quote:

That is sad! I think he should get double the penalty. Not to mention, where did he get the pot from? Did he take it off some one he should have busted? Or did he buy it from someone he should have busted? Either way, he was breaking the law all around!

Old 07-16-2008, 05:48 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,489 times
Quote:
what is the convictable amount?

i had heard that any trace of thc in the blood was too much...so double could still be a small amount, right? do you know how that is calculated? (thc, metabolites, both, a ratio?)

sorry for the q's cj, but i have heard such randomly different things regarding this that i figured now might be a good time to get info from someone in law enforcement.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
If it was two times the convictable amount of THC he was likely stoned. If it was twice the metabolite he was likely stoned the week before. You know for sure it was THC? The ACLU guys implied it was metabolite...though they did not say so clearly.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:21 PM

697 posts, read 3,278,443 times
We heard it was 5.6 nanograms per milliliter of THC in his blood. 2.5 ng/ml is DUI. It is enough to cause severe impairment in many people. I do not know for sure. I am just refering to the talkings from the LE community and they are all saying THC. Most metabolites will not lead to a DUI conviction on the other hand.

tetrahydrocannabinol is the main substance we look for while determining if a person is DUI. 11-hydroxy-THC is they only metabolite that is still psychoactive and would cause signifigant impairment. It's gestation in the blood is typically 4-8 hours and therefore would imply recent use of the drug. 11-hydroxy-THC is further broken down into 11-COOH-THC after that time and is no longer psychoactive (but still causes motor impairment). I am sure that further tests will determine which one was in the system. He would not be behind bars if non-psychoactive metabolites were found in the blood in my opinion.

Last edited by cjski21; 07-16-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
You and I do not agree much, but I am with you on this one. .
Hey that's the same compliment I gave you the other day.

You seem to admit or acknowledge the sometimes obvious corruption around here. Speaking to you as another human being, dont you have reason to be afraid? Those Bast**ds are ruthless. You start calling your co-workers corrupt and you might have reason to fear for your life and your families.

Those of us here a while know the story of the one and only jury person ever to vote against a crooked cop in that fixed Mickey Mouse Coroners Court they have here. The poor guy was whisked away and disapeared.

If your doing an honest job there then I applaud you.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUGBULLY View Post
That is sad! I think he should get double the penalty. Not to mention, where did he get the pot from? Did he take it off some one he should have busted? Or did he buy it from someone he should have busted? Either way, he was breaking the law all around!
Very good point. Good thinking. I hope that was looked at but what would become of it? More families ruined.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,489 times
Quote:
We heard it was 5.6 nanograms per milliliter of THC in his blood. 2.5 ng/ml is DUI. It is enough to cause severe impairment in many people. I do not know for sure. I am just refering to the talkings from the LE community and they are all saying THC. Most metabolites will not lead to a DUI conviction on the other hand.

tetrahydrocannabinol is the main substance we look for while determining if a person is DUI. 11-hydroxy-THC is they only metabolite that is still psychoactive and would cause signifigant impairment. It's gestation in the blood is typically 4-8 hours and therefore would imply recent use of the drug. 11-hydroxy-THC is further broken down into 11-COOH-THC after that time and is no longer psychoactive (but still causes motor impairment). I am sure that further tests will determine which one was in the system. He would not be behind bars if non-psychoactive metabolites were found in the blood in my opinion.
thx cj. here is another question i have always wondered: is there a field test for THC? i have always assume not, as it would seem to require blood to be drawn for analysis. but i know there are minimally invasive tests for blood sugar levels (diabetic test kits)...just got me wondering if there was a THC/metabolite test kit as well.

i don't know the quantity of blood required for testing, but w/ today's sensitive assays, it might not require much.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
On a similar topic, I had a friend who was caught speeding on Hwy 58 in Kern County, CA. He was actually driving at night and was kind of tired. The CHP officer asked him for a sobriety test and he refused because he obviously wasn't drinking. He wanted to get the blood test instead. Long story short, his blood test came back with trace amounts of opiates. He had been taking Vicodin a few days earlier because he had a root canal done. He ended up getting a DUI because he refused the breath test. Obviously the breath test wouldn't showed the opiates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas