Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 06:08 PM

92 posts, read 349,650 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Orange County, CA to Henderson next month, how hard is it going to be for my 13 year old daughter to adjust to the area, she will be going into 8th grade. Will the kids in the middle school be really friendly to a new kid in the school or do they just stay in there own groups they have already formed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:16 PM

77 posts, read 340,867 times
We are such a transient town, I'm sure she will "be accepted" right away. Not only do kids come from all over the country all the time, they move very often within Las Vegas- so kids are very used to new friends. As a former middle school teacher, I'm feeling your pain with a middle school daughter and the anxiety over the move, but it is better to move now than 2-3 years from now. While I'm not sure where you will be zoned in Henderson, there are a few very good middle schools there like Bob Miller and Greenspun Jr. High. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default From NY no issues

We moved from NY to Henderson Nevada. We have been here for years, never had any issues with the schools at all. Our kids with the NY accent fit in perfect. They have tons of friends, play sports, no complaints here. We also never ran into any crime issues, which I hear many talk about.

good Luck, all should work out!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
If she has a hard time, try getting her involved in youth soccer. It's absolutely HUGE out here. So many kids her age are involved.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinedebs View Post
We are moving from Orange County, CA to Henderson next month, how hard is it going to be for my 13 year old daughter to adjust to the area, she will be going into 8th grade. Will the kids in the middle school be really friendly to a new kid in the school or do they just stay in there own groups they have already formed.
About the same as moving from Irvine to Huntington Beach. For a teenager that is somewher between "OK" and "My life has stopped I am going to die".

The new kids will be about the same as in Irvine or Huntington Beach...

YMMV

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug17 View Post
We are such a transient town, I'm sure she will "be accepted" right away. Not only do kids come from all over the country all the time, they move very often within Las Vegas- so kids are very used to new friends. As a former middle school teacher, I'm feeling your pain with a middle school daughter and the anxiety over the move, but it is better to move now than 2-3 years from now. While I'm not sure where you will be zoned in Henderson, there are a few very good middle schools there like Bob Miller and Greenspun Jr. High. Good luck.

You continue. Define transient. Are we? As far as I can tell that is all BS...elementary schools range from around 15% to 40%. What level is acceptable?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 AM

109 posts, read 500,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
We moved from NY to Henderson Nevada. We have been here for years, never had any issues with the schools at all. Our kids with the NY accent fit in perfect. They have tons of friends, play sports, no complaints here. We also never ran into any crime issues, which I hear many talk about.

good Luck, all should work out!
How is your family adjusting? I to am also relocating from new york. I had the same concerns as the initial poster

Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 PM

77 posts, read 340,867 times
You continue. Define transient. Are we? As far as I can tell that is all BS...elementary schools range from around 15% to 40%. What level is acceptable?

Isn't a transfer rate of even 15% a bit much? Unless you grew up in a booming town, you can probably remember individual kids moving in or out because it was pretty rare. My point was not about how dreadful Vegas is because we are so transient. Instead, I was saying that her daughter will be fine in middle school because kids are used to seeing new folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas