Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,738 times

Advertisements

After reading others comments and opinions on Vegas I am really not sure what to think. I havent been able to find an answer to one question in particular. I am about to leave the military and I also have a degree in public relations. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the advertising/PR job market in Las Vegas? I have interviewed witha couole places and really wasnt that impressed. Just wanted to gain another person's perspective if possible. Any info shared would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,926,211 times
I think the market should be fairly strong. With new hotels and such constantly opening and new shows always coming to town, there's always something to advertise about.

There are also a bunch of local publications, which may be worth looking into.

Anyway, there are a lot of 25 year olds living out here, so you should have a fairly easy time making friends as well.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,378,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue3072 View Post
After reading others comments and opinions on Vegas I am really not sure what to think. I haven't been able to find an answer to one question in particular. I am about to leave the military and I also have a degree in public relations. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the advertising/PR job market in Las Vegas? I have interviewed with a couple places and really wasn't that impressed. Just wanted to gain another person's perspective if possible. Any info shared would be greatly appreciated
PR is frequently done in-house at the major resorts, but there are plenty of large PR firms around town. Some of the resorts use people such as Jan Jones, the former mayor, due to political contacts, but that doesn't mean she and her counterparts at other hotels don't have staffs. There are ad agencies of all sizes here. And there are lots of opportunities to sell advertising all the way from several TV stations where if you don't make at least six figures you probably won't be retained, to local radio (about 32 signals), to publications from major newspapers and area magazines, even down to match book covers. There's no end of people selling and creating advertising.

There are less PR people, but some are so powerful, like R & R Partners, that they handle presidents, mayors, governors, and senators (Sig Rogish and Billy Vassiliadis), and come up with campaigns like "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".
R&R Partners - Advertising - Public Relations - Government Affairs

Every government entity, utility, and large business in Las Vegas has at least one PR person to act as spokesman. That's where old TV personalities go to die.

Those kinds of jobs can be had by contacting the right person and getting an interview without having to already live in Las Vegas. But I think it would be much easier if you were already living here.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks to everyone who posted a response to my questions. I now have a better idea of what I can expect in this city.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 72,123 times
I've been looking for marketing jobs as well, but haven't had any luck getting interviews...I'll take a gamble and blame my use of internet job applications instead of the traditional paper process.

I've changed my strategy and have started sending out paper job applications with a cover letter and resume, so maybe I'll get an interview or two soon. I'll be 26 on Monday, and I've got an MBA in marketing, just no marketing job experience yet. I worry that I'll be looked over for entry-level work because of my degree, and the same for the upper level jobs because of my lack of experience. As long as it pays the bills out there, I don't really care if I get compensated for my education...I gotta start somewhere! It would be nice to keep doing video production like I am now, but I'd have to freelance becuase full-time jobs in that field seem to be pretty scarce. I don't want to take that kind of risk....

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:27 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,136,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0B00 View Post
I've been looking for marketing jobs as well, but haven't had any luck getting interviews...I'll take a gamble and blame my use of internet job applications instead of the traditional paper process.

I've changed my strategy and have started sending out paper job applications with a cover letter and resume, so maybe I'll get an interview or two soon. I'll be 26 on Monday, and I've got an MBA in marketing, just no marketing job experience yet. I worry that I'll be looked over for entry-level work because of my degree, and the same for the upper level jobs because of my lack of experience. As long as it pays the bills out there, I don't really care if I get compensated for my education...I gotta start somewhere! It would be nice to keep doing video production like I am now, but I'd have to freelance becuase full-time jobs in that field seem to be pretty scarce. I don't want to take that kind of risk....

Good luck in your search!

Marketing is a STRANGE business in the Las Vegas Hotels.....it's definately a "Start at the bottom " business and they don't seem to value a degree as much as they value "you're standing there...you're the new Marketing Director"

Good Luck in your search......

Old 06-05-2008, 02:22 PM

I have always heard that in the marketing/advertising field experience is heavier than degrees. I dont know how true that is, but at this point I am just looking to get my foot in the door and work my way up. I have military experience and my B.S. in Public Relations. However I have nothing more than internship experience under my belt when it comes to this field.
Good luck to all in your searches and thanks for your comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas