Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 06:42 PM

149 posts, read 399,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
UPDATE: I guess I had a little free time on my hands, so I took the map from 8newsnow.com and added data points up to 2020, and it will be continuously updated.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...-8&usp=sharing

Furthermore, I have added links to the sources so you can read more about the incident. The map looks like a blood bath when zoomed out, but that's misleading -- once you zoom in to where you see outlines of buildings, it's not too bad. For the most part, if you don't go looking for trouble at 3am in the seedy areas, then you'll be all right :-).

Thank you for the work you put into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 26,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester
Seems you can drive a couple blocks or turn a corner and go from a nice area to something pretty sketchy just that quick. Downtown VS the Scotch 80s come to mind for example
This is exactly what my LV real estate agent (born and brought up in LV) told me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester
I also think there can be huge differences in how truthfully and completely an area reports crime
Very good point. The initial markers from 8newsnow.com seem like they were from police reports since many included exact addresses. You're right about truthfulness because I've already had to correct two addresses that were filed incorrectly in the police report. More recent markers are less accurate as they rely on news sources which usually only specify the cross streets. Whenever an updated article is published that has either an exact address or names the building the incident occurred in, I usually go back and update the marker's location.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:16 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
UPDATE: I guess I had a little free time on my hands, so I took the map from 8newsnow.com and added data points up to 2020, and it will be continuously updated.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...-8&usp=sharing

Furthermore, I have added links to the sources so you can read more about the incident. The map looks like a blood bath when zoomed out, but that's misleading -- once you zoom in to where you see outlines of buildings, it's not too bad. For the most part, if you don't go looking for trouble at 3am in the seedy areas, then you'll be all right :-).
Your map is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 01-05-2021, 03:14 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
Haha, looks like the only places without skulls are Summerlin and the far reaches of Henderson. Also, interestingly enough, there is a big empty ball of no skulls over Chinatown. I guess the Chinese and Southeast Asian immigrants aren’t the ones causing all the crime.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:40 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Many cities go from fine to ghetto in a few blocks, it was like that in Los Angeles and Long Beach, it’s like that in SF too. It’s not whatsoever like that in Henderson, I drive in any direction and it’s nice all around me. But on the Strip, you go a few blocks off and it looks like Baghdad.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:18 PM

3 posts, read 1,738 times
There is a neighborhood right off of spencer and Pyle that is at least 50-60% renter homes. Right by the school. Place has been going down hill quickly since living there.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:10 PM

I should probably put together some stats, but from what I've noticed so far a lot of homicides happen in or around apartment complexes (at least two on the map happened in the same complex) and along certain parts of Boulder Hwy. Gas stations and liquor stores are also up there. The empty spots do look strange, but keep in mind the vast majority of the markers represent homicides, so these empty spots could have violent crimes that didn't end in fatalities.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
I should probably put together some stats, but from what I've noticed so far a lot of homicides happen in or around apartment complexes (at least two on the map happened in the same complex) and along certain parts of Boulder Hwy. Gas stations and liquor stores are also up there. The empty spots do look strange, but keep in mind the vast majority of the markers represent homicides, so these empty spots could have violent crimes that didn't end in fatalities.
I would also point out that some of your murders ain't. They are accidents. Look at the one on Corbett in the Lone Mountain area. It was a driveway accident where an old dude working on his car got under it and then had it roll over him. Sad...but not a homicide. Might claim a stupid suicide but I would rather be polite to those who have passed on...

Old 01-28-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would also point out that some of your murders ain't. They are accidents. Look at the one on Corbett in the Lone Mountain area. It was a driveway accident where an old dude working on his car got under it and then had it roll over him. Sad...but not a homicide. Might claim a stupid suicide but I would rather be polite to those who have passed on...
You are right, that's why I called the map LVV Incidents instead of LVV Homicides .

In addition to the accident you listed, there was a point in time when I started compiling the data I also included fatal traffic accidents (I've stopped doing that), so there are at least a couple markers that represent traffic accidents. Also, I actually read all of the articles myself, so some markers represent where the suspect lived or was arrested. I should probably use different icons for these, but it's too much overhead so everything uses the same skull icon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas