Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 02:57 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times

Advertisements

Katie, don't give up on your A/C, there may be a solution; hopefully one of the car guys can suggest a way to fix it for not a lot of money. Do you know the exact problem?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,518,758 times
Also I have a Hyundai Veloster. Very nice car! Recommended

That is the car I'm going after - though it may take 2-4 years before I actually buy one. That being while we drive our 2011 Kia Soul base 5-speed. If you want to head over to one of the Hyundai Veloster threads on city-data (there's 4 or 5 of them on here at least now), please do as I would like to ask you some detailed questions.

This thread is for Katie and if anyone can help with her A/C issue it would be nice. Talk to you later.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-25-2021 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 03:30 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,486,608 times
Elkotronics you should be a cars salesman. You are plenty passionate about them.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:31 PM

Thanks elko. I’m sorry for posting in the wrong area. I will go over there.
Happy to answer any questions. I saw early in the thread it used to be about which car she should choose that’s only why I mentioned the veloster. Talk to you later
Matt

See you over there, man.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:34 PM

Elkotronics you should be a cars salesman. You are plenty passionate about them.

Thank you for that, chahunt! I consider that a nice compliment. Yes, I think I would do well at it. The New World Order of car sales involves working as a salesman at home, doing all the customer's paperwork, handling their trade-in and, once approved, delivering their new or new to them car to them.

Used cars - watch that market closely. Opportunities for those and new cars should increase in the coming months!

Old 06-04-2020, 04:08 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,061,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Katie, don't give up on your A/C, there may be a solution; hopefully one of the car guys can suggest a way to fix it for not a lot of money. Do you know the exact problem?

The mechanic said at a minimum, the compressor is blown. He said I will have to take it to an automotive shop and it will cost over $1,000 to fix it at a minimum, but probably much more. The car is 1993 Geo Prizm with 366,000 miles on it, so it is not worth it. It was worth putting $100 into it, but not $1,000, or even $500. I currently have $3,500 to put towards a new car as of now. I will only need a new car if I get my job back. I don't need AC while I am not working, and I will not need a new car if I have to move back in with my parents as I can drive either one of their cars.

I still am looking for a car daily. I really like this one. I would have to find out why this car has a rebuilt title, but this would work for me. With the 6 speed, it would be a lot more fun to drive than my Geo, that is for sure.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/...134306937.html

Last edited by Mike from back east; 05-25-2021 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 04:20 PM

Nice looking Honda there, Katie. See what you can find out about it if you want.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:31 PM

26,239 posts, read 49,129,254 times
I'd be leery of anything with a "rebuilt" title, here's the story on them. These are cars that were wrecked or flooded and have been repaired (allegedly) to be road-worthy.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:45 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,061,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Nice looking Honda there, Katie. See what you can find out about it if you want.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd be leery of anything with a "rebuilt" title, here's the story on them. These are cars that were wrecked or flooded and have been repaired (allegedly) to be road-worthy.

It depends on how old the car is and what its value is. A small dent would total out my car, and it would have a rebuilt title from there on. The car would still be perfectly fine to drive. If the car is 2 years old with rebuilt title, something major had to have happened to it, so I would steer clear of it. I am guessing the Civic SI is a theft recovery. It may or may not be okay to buy, I don't know.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,767,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I did a lot of thinking over the weekend, and with how unstable everything is, I decided to try to fix my car. I took it over to a mechanic who works out of his house. First off, he said forget about the AC. It will cost more than it is the car is worth to fix it. He then found out very little exhaust is coming out the back meaning the catalytic convertor is clogged. He said the engine is burning oil which clogged up the cat. The car is over 25 years old which qualifies it for classic plates, so he recommended to remove and bypass the cat, and to change the oil and put this stuff called restore in the engine. The difference is night and day. My Geo now runs better than ever, and the engine is not smoking or using oil anymore. I have been taking it out on the freeway overnight when it is cooler up to 80 mph with no problems. The gas mileage went way up, now over 30 mpg when I was only getting 19-20 mpg before. The mechanic only charged me $100, so it was well worth it. He said all I need to do is add the restore on every oil change from now on.

So Mike, I am done with this thread as I am not going to purchase a car anymore. If I do manage to get my job back, I will have to get a new car with working AC. I don't think that is going to happen.
I think registration costs more for classic car registration, better check up on that. And also there is a 5,000 mile limit per year for classic registration. Perhaps that won't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: