Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 01:50 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,624,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Public housing projects do not have a very good track record. See for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrin...%93Green_Homes

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsid..._United_States

It is difficult to make these things work. Not impossible - but difficult. As a result of their various problems and diminished political support, many of the traditional low-income public housing properties across the nation have been demolished. Neither the Federal Government nor the various State & Local governments are particularly good at managing housing projects. Instead, they would rather demolish public housing in favor of the "Section 8" vouchers. That way, the governments hand out money but the headaches of managing properties fall on the property owners.

As a resident of Henderson, I'm 100% in favor of such projects in Reno.
LOL. It can't be much worse than areas of Vegas with the cheapest studios. I was shocked at how small. mini-fridge. Maybe there was a two burner stove, I don't remember now about that or some type of oven. Built in twin sized bed that was like the bottom of a bunk bed. No space at all. Just to walk between the bed/'kitchen'. Bed served as a couch. Seedy people. But there was security. They kept it quiet and I suppose drama free. Any crime going on would need to be on the low. I don't remember the name anymore to look up pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 07:46 PM

783 posts, read 849,384 times
Carson City has regular shelters, but they are often not enough or the rules exclude some...there are local churches that go out and bring people in when it's too cold...they are really successful...

If I was upon hard times I would check out the local churches and charities because many have outreach programs for this type of situation of sudden homeless like Jencam is describing.

I know a Christian charity saved my teenager when he ran away at 16 to a very dangerous location. They spotted him right away and got him to come to a safe house with them and call us.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,063,877 times
The Las Vegas homeless population is decreasing because the city is paying for transportation to get them back home if they have someone to take them in. I think this is a great win-win situation.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/more-...c458551b4.html

Old 05-17-2020, 02:32 AM

628 posts, read 400,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
I think why mental institutions are rare now is because involuntary commitment has been challenged and overruled in the courts?
72 hour holds are common in many states. They are just called by different names.

Was even a bit sad, especially reading these charts for 12 hours. They give them a one day bus pass and send them back to catholic charities or Salvation army on West Owens.

Wish I had kept that job just because it was interesting and engaging and the time flew by.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The biggest expenses for Homelessness comes from Hospitalizations. That's what balloons that figure to $42,500 a year.

Thank about it! A homeless person is found almost frozen to death in a northern city in winter, with frostbite, and the ambulance takes him to the Emergency Room! Do you really think he's released the next day?

When I worked in a LTC/Rehab facility in North Las Vegas, we'd, occasionally, get homeless people in for Rehab, up to 90 days, and what do you think that costs taxpayers?

Homeless person is found dehydrated in Las Vegas in the heat of summer, and where does he go? To the Emergency room!

Drunken homeless person falls down in the street and is hit by a car. One of the homeless patients that came into the facility had been struck by a car, he flew 40 feet into the air, hitting a light pole and they had to carve out part of his brain and entered the Vent/Trach unit. He was 40YO, and he made it through 3 months and he died. What do you think that cost taxpayers.

Actually, I think the $42,500 a year is a low estimate!
I lived in Anchorage for a year, and it was an accepted fact that homeless people froze to death every winter, it was just a matter of how many.

I suppose the 60 hour one way drive builds character, also incredibly brave in a 99 Ford Contour with over 100,000 miles.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Not all problems have solutions.
John Lennon said there are no problems, only solutions.

"Watching the wheels go round and round."

Old 05-17-2020, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia616 View Post
What the hell is you're problem against the homeless? See, people like you assume that all the homeless are drug addicts when that is not the case at all! I'm homeless right now! And have been for 5 almost 6 months, plus I have a job. The only reason I'm homeless is because I can't afford the rents here because people keep moving here from California and everywhere else. Studios are $800 for 300 sq ft which doesn't add up, and it just goes up from there. Plus, Arizona offers no help to get into a place. By the way 37% of people that are homeless in the Phoenix area are families, and there's also a high number of senior citizens that are homeless because they only have disability and can't afford the rising costs.

Another note, you can't just send people to other states that are homeless that doesn't fix the problem. It just makes it worse. You can't put your problems onto someone else, which is what you're suggesting. And you sound very heartless.
Unfortunately, I can tell you from my past unique vantage point, that 60 to 75 percent of the homeless patients were addicts. Meth is the most common. Affordable and the high lasts much, much longer than crack
cocaine.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
In all seriousness have you thought about renting a room in a house? I realize it's not ideal but it's better than sleeping in your car I would think!? Not everybody gets their own studio apartment. When I was in college we always had at least two people per bedroom and sometimes 3 or 4. That's life. You make do. So, while I do have great sympathy for the working homeless I do think people need to find a way to adapt to the reality of their financial situation. I sincerely wish you good luck in finding stability in your life.
My results speak for themselves. My formula was to set small goals, suffer, compromise,and sacrifice temporarily in the beginning, always stay in motion, and ignore what does not resonate with you. Never give in to inertia.

It's funny, people still say to me you have to have a car to live here which makes me incredulous since I have done it for two years.

Two more days until exactly two years here. Woo hoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas