Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 11:22 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,554,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound441 View Post
Hi Guys,
A big reason for my mom is the fact that I live in LA and she wants to be close to me without being in CA and she cant stand the humidity any longer it really is terrible. When she came up with the Vegas Idea I tried to get her to move to Palm Springs but that was a huge NO. We spoke to some friends who said the best area would be Green Valley? I know next month she will be out in vegas starting to look. Also Lennar has some properties that they are building in Henderson. How is that area? They build a lot in FL. I know she does not want a 55+ community. She wants something new and a townhouse.
Curiously, why was Palm Springs a "huge NO" ?

Honestly, your mom would be better off in a condominium or small house in Temecula, Murrieta or Menifee. That area is not humid, but gets a lovely ocean breeze in the evenings, which is why the wineries do so well there. She'd be much closer to you, and safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 02:34 PM

1,633 posts, read 1,722,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Henderson in zip code 89052 and 89044 are among the lowest crime rates in the country.We retired and settled at Sun City Anthem in Henderson. Zip code 89052. Very happy here and love the weather.
I'm also in 89052, Seven Hills area. I really liked Sun City Anthem but liked the house I found better than what I saw there.

I still suggest getting a realtor to help look around. There are too many options and areas. I lived in a house here for a while and got to know a lot of the Summerlin and Northwest areas. Had to move back to FL until my house there sold. When I moved back to Vegas, I found a short term rental and worked with a realtor until I found a house I wanted to buy. It takes time to find what you want and close on the sale.

Last edited by movin1; 01-31-2020 at 02:59 PM..

Old 01-31-2020, 02:49 PM

1,633 posts, read 1,722,941 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,
A big reason for my mom is the fact that I live in LA and she wants to be close to me without being in CA and she cant stand the humidity any longer it really is terrible. When she came up with the Vegas Idea I tried to get her to move to Palm Springs but that was a huge NO. We spoke to some friends who said the best area would be Green Valley? I know next month she will be out in vegas starting to look. Also Lennar has some properties that they are building in Henderson. How is that area? They build a lot in FL. I know she does not want a 55+ community. She wants something new and a townhouse.
I live in a Lennar house in Henderson, it's great. I don't know if they do town houses. Moving from a single family home to a townhouse is something to think about. Pros and cons, I prefer a house.

55+ communities like Sun City Anthem and Sun City Summerlin are very nice. You don't have to get involved in every activity, but it is a good way to meet people and the facilities are amazing. HOA fees are very reasonable for what you get.

Big difference between CA and NV is cost of living due to income tax and housing costs.

Does your mom know anyone in Vegas? It's a crappy drive from here to LA. It might be better for her to be closer to you. Lots to consider, it's a big move. Moving cross country is expensive and so is buying and selling houses if you end up someplace you don't like. Your mom might want to consider renting anywhere she moves for a while. It's a lot easier and cheaper to move on after a year if she's not happy. If she rents an unfurnished house for a while and decides she wants to buy something, local moving costs are not too bad.

Last edited by movin1; 01-31-2020 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 01:13 AM

10 posts, read 18,715 times
Mom is Anti California in general she thinks theres way to many taxes. I already go to Vegas often from LA and I just take a Southwest flight easier than driving. IS the area of Henderson where the new Lennar townhomes located good?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Curiously, why was Palm Springs a "huge NO" ?

Honestly, your mom would be better off in a condominium or small house in Temecula, Murrieta or Menifee. That area is not humid, but gets a lovely ocean breeze in the evenings, which is why the wineries do so well there. She'd be much closer to you, and safer.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:56 AM

6,755 posts, read 3,378,409 times
We live in SW Henderson near Horizon Ridge & Mission. Pretty quiet area, nice neighborhoods, with everything nearby. Not sure if they are Lennar or not, but there are a few new developments going up around here.

Just had some friends buy a new house in the Mission Hills development at College & Mission, around $425K I think. Nice place, but the houses are so close to each other that I don't think I could live there. Not much of a back yard either.

Seems like the days of having some space (if even a little) between the houses and a decent 6500 sq. ft. lot are long gone due to land prices. I'm glad we bought when we did. The houses in this neighborhood have some space between them and the lots are pretty big, relatively speaking. We have no one behind us which is pretty rare and gives us some privacy.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 8,374,461 times
Quote:
Mom is Anti California in general she thinks theres way to many taxes. I already go to Vegas often from LA and I just take a Southwest flight easier than driving. IS the area of Henderson where the new Lennar townhomes located good?
Henderson Police assign their officers to specific sections for patrol, and have a section rep. You could phone the desk at the Henderson police station right in south Green Valley and ask to speak with the police spokesperson for that area (get the cross streets) to get a sense of safety.

You can also look online and get criminal activity for any area. But its totally meaningless without comparing the activity to other “safe” areas because there’s crime everywhere. If you pull up a crime map of my area it is concerning until compared with other areas.

https://www.cityofhenderson.com/police/crime-search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:10 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,554,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post

Big difference between CA and NV is cost of living due to income tax ...
Quote:
Mom is Anti California in general she thinks theres way to many taxes.
The whole income tax thing is bemusing to me. How many of us forget that, at one time, our lives relied on someone paying income taxes too?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:24 AM

57 posts, read 112,444 times
Summerlin has some beautiful condos around 300k to 400k!

Green Valley and Seven Hills in Henderson are very nice as well!!

Good Luck!! Vegas is awesome!!

Old 04-02-2021, 01:33 PM

395 posts, read 273,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I'm also in 89052, Seven Hills area. I really liked Sun City Anthem but liked the house I found better than what I saw there.

I still suggest getting a realtor to help look around. There are too
many options and areas. I lived in a house here for a while and
got to know a lot of the Summerlin and Northwest areas. Had
to move back to FL until my house there sold. When I moved
back to Vegas, I found a short term rental and worked with a
realtor until I found a house I wanted to buy. It takes time to
find what you want and close on the sale.
If she doesn't know the area or do you, this is excellent advice. The neighborhoods
are definitely different and just visting/staying on Strip won't give you the
true feel. I would also suggest a few short term rentals (air bnb or otherwise)
for a few weeks in different neighborhoods as a great starting point to
experience the different areas.

I ended up in a neighborhood I was totally unfamiliar with even though I've been coming
to Vegas for over 15 years and looking at houses/condos/neighborhoods for the last 3 years.
I'm very fortunate that I love where I am at and it worked out. I was more shopping for a
particular type house and space/price rather than a neighborhood though. I could
have easily lived in Henderson..there are some very nice areas there. I ended up in the
Northwest..Lone Mountain to be specific.

One thing I like about the Vegas Valley is that most things are within a 30 minutes
drive. I eat out all the time and I have dozens of choices within 10 minutes.

I'm not sure the current state of condos and townhouses but houses seem
to still be selling rather fast here. Find a realtor to show you around..it's
free and to your benefit! There are also several videos on youtube that
Las Vegas realtors post that show different houses and neighborhoods.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:40 PM

395 posts, read 273,436 times
Apologize to the OP for straying off topic:

There are "two" Hendersons :
one is modern and more densely built if I had to
put a tag on it...the other is older with more of a
time forgotten country vibe (Hentucky). As she
is looking for a townhouse or condo, she would most
likely be in the more central part of Henderson.

I don't know the area as a resident but have never
felt unsafe in Henderson. I know there are several posters
here who can more accurately talk about townhouses/condos
in Henderson and where they are located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: