Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 AM

307 posts, read 927,950 times

Advertisements

Interesting article regarding "older" homes in Vegas. Doesn't bode well for homes built in the 1990's. I'd be interseted to hear from the locals as to this article ringing true.

Aging process quickly hits homes in Las Vegas - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-vegas8apr08,1,6000965.story - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
Interesting article regarding "older" homes in Vegas. Doesn't bode well for homes built in the 1990's. I'd be interseted to hear from the locals as to this article ringing true.

Aging process quickly hits homes in Las Vegas - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-fi-vegas8apr08,1,6000965.story - broken link)
There are certain rules of Real Estate that should seldom be violated. One is you never, never consdier the views of the LA Times about what goes on in Las Vegas. Hell the RJ screws it up all the time...why on earth would the LA Times get it right. And I would point out the NY Times is quite unable to locate Summerlin. Given that level of skill why would you think such a puff piece would have validity?

A further truth is that those who sell primarily heavy properties are generally grand, pompous and would not know the validity of a statistic if they tripped over it. They generally get any such thing wrong as soon as they open their mouths and have no idea of how to discover truth. They are generally great marketeers of themselves.

To the specifics...Roughly half the 949 single family dwellings for sale were built since 2005. Their representation in the sales column is about half that. So putting it simply homes costing a million dollars or more and built before 2005 sell at twice the rate of the later ones.

I would suspect the big variable is price to value...newer homes tend to be inflated in any market segment. This one is no exception.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM

22 posts, read 67,863 times
Let the L.A. Times cry over seven figure homes. It's rather amusing.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
I agree qith olecapt.......the LA times NEVER misses a chance to badmouth Las Vegas.....afterall....we keep takin LA's money away from them.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:45 PM

818 posts, read 3,698,510 times
Wow, what a bunch of elitist nonsense.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:17 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
There are certain rules of Real Estate that should seldom be violated. One is you never, never consider the views of the LA Times about what goes on in Las Vegas. Hell the RJ screws it up all the time...why on earth would the LA Times get it right. And I would point out the NY Times is quite unable to locate Summerlin. Given that level of skill why would you think such a puff piece would have validity?

A further truth is that those who sell primarily heavy properties are generally grand, pompous and would not know the validity of a statistic if they tripped over it. They generally get any such thing wrong as soon as they open their mouths and have no idea of how to discover truth. They are generally great marketeers of themselves.

To the specifics...Roughly half the 949 single family dwellings for sale were built since 2005. Their representation in the sales column is about half that. So putting it simply homes costing a million dollars or more and built before 2005 sell at twice the rate of the later ones.

I would suspect the big variable is price to value...newer homes tend to be inflated in any market segment. This one is no exception.
Listen to the olecapt on this one. The LA Times has waged an anti-Vegas campaign for as long as I can remember, and you never believe anything they say. Actually, you can apply that to any newspaper in the world about any subject, but that's beside the point.

That said, I have always complained about how fast Las Vegas homes and neighborhoods age, but that was usually reserved for lower end housing.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Wow a slow news day in Los Angeles county I guess.But I agree with olecapt.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 PM

207 posts, read 734,374 times
Ugh.. let LA stay in LA.. heh and Keep the Californians from moving here and screwing things up (Ok some of you are ok.. lol)

The LA times always seems to be able to show the "bad" side of Vegas.. even when its not bad.

Then again, if I was paying all the taxes and fees and 10 bucks a pack for smokes, like they do in LA.. Id be pretty upset as well.. lol

Old 04-16-2008, 01:37 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinga View Post
Ugh.. let LA stay in LA.. heh and Keep the Californians from moving here and screwing things up (Ok some of you are ok.. lol)

The LA times always seems to be able to show the "bad" side of Vegas.. even when its not bad.

Then again, if I was paying all the taxes and fees and 10 bucks a pack for smokes, like they do in LA.. Id be pretty upset as well.. lol
Uh, isn't your user name X rated?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Uh, isn't your user name X rated?
Was thinkin the same thing Buzz......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: