Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 05:38 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,652,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
Both my wife and I (who is an RN at Dignity St. Rose) have received nothing but excellent and thorough health care since we've been here. I had heard that health care was not that good here, but I've not found that to be the case.

It's not just us, either. I've had two friends that needed bypass surgery and another one that was severely injured from falling off a ladder, and all of them got excellent care as well.

I'm not suggesting that no one has ever gotten lousy care here, but that exists everywhere. Our experiences and those of our friends have all been very positive.

It seems to me that some people just make lousy choices and are probably the same ones that move to high-crime neighborhoods and then complain about the entire valley being like that.
And this is another thing, you often have someone complaining about “Vegas” when they live in the ghetto and work a job they hate and have major health issues, none of which has anything to do with Las Vegas whatsoever. Those are personal problems. If you’re poor, it’ll suck to live anywhere. There are ghettos in every city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 06:07 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,391,185 times
My blood pressure went up the week before Christmas. That is pretty unusual for me as my problem is generally low blood pressure and pulse. I get into the high 30s at night. This is not as bad as it sounds however. When a young man my resting pulse was in the high 40s low 50s. I have had a bypass and my cardiologist thinks I am in good shape for my age.

Christmas eve the Admiral decided I needed medical treatment. No emergency but a concern. I got in to my internist on the 26th and the cardiologist on the 27th. And, though I am not completely content my blood pressure is now down to its regular below normal.

My internist, who is a professor at Touro University, is a gem. She can and has recalled virtually my entire medical history at 2AM from memory. I will not list her name as I do not think she is taking new patients except through Touro programs. And I use her to interpret and consider the plans of the cardiologist.

If I again should need open heart surgery I might consider going back to LA. Other than that, with the help of my internist, I can deal with anything else here.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Did you move from an HMO to PPO because that’s what the first gripe sounds likes.
No. The gripe is that you end up driving all over town to get things done that should be in one place. Stupid.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:39 PM

628 posts, read 399,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No. The gripe is that you end up driving all over town to get things done that should be in one place. Stupid.
This has been my experience as well. Colonoscopy - outside referral, MRI - outside referral. Neurology - outside referral. Plus I have to have Uber haul my a$$ all over town.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,487,551 times
Quote:
I have the heart of a bull (quote from one of his colleagues).
Tek Freek, that's great news. The main way heart health and strength is quantified, is by ejection fraction. If your ejection fraction is 55% or greater, that is optimal performance. In the elderly, it can be more around 50% ~ and still be functioning well. That measure is obtained by an echocardiogram. You very likely received one if you had an angiogram performed. Request to obtain a copy of it if you feel like reading further detail on your heart health. Once the document is obtained, the summary is listed under: "Impression:" .

Just an FYI if you want to look further into it.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:27 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,316,930 times
The doctors in this state are weird. They don't do anything! Ok, so they have you breathe in, then out, in, then out, while they put the stethoscope on your back and front, but other than that, the nurse does everything. And if you need anything else, they farm you out to everyone else. And like mentioned above, you wait and wait and wait. I hardly ever go to the doctor and that is my choice. They do not do much for me and I can take care of most things by myself.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:29 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,686,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
I was offered a great job there but declined it because all the apartments reviews on google mentioned crime (and I mean ALL the reviews, which I'd never seen before and I've lived in crime-happy Florida). I was looking in the 1k-1500k per month range in Henderson/Vegas. Now I wonder...
You never know the backstory on apt reviews...I wouldn't doubt that a good percentage of people who incurred late fees ect go and post negative reviews online about the complex, mgmt, crime ect soley out of retaliation. There are simply alot of people in this world who lack any sort of personal accountability.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:02 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,036,927 times
Quote:
The doctors in this state are weird. They don't do anything!

This is how the cost of medical care is kept down in every state. Nurses and PAs, who are paid much less, perform the tasks that don't require a doctor. If you want a doctor to take your blood pressure and don't mind paying extra then consider concierge medicine.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:16 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,270,341 times
Doctors only want to deal with issues related to their specialty and lot of the time you'll see a NP or PA for the doctor. If you go to your cardiologist with a complaint about itchy skin, yes, you'll be told to see a dermatologist if it's unrelated-that's how it is.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,148,173 times
Quote:
It’s an unintended consequence of the Stark laws. Various doctors in medical groups that owned their own x-Ray machine, lab, treadmill, and flexsigmoidoscopy machine ( etc ) were ordering unnecessary procedures for profit. My first gig in medicine was a prime example.

So the Stark laws came about and basically forbids doctors from referrals to places they have a financial interest in. Now, in an HMO, the doctors work on salary, and are heavily pressured to keep costs down. That’s created some unintended consequences as well.

If you need all in one care and are a member of Sierra/ HPN/ Senior Dimensions, take thee to the urgent care on Rancho. The big one. They even have a CAT scan machine at that old joint.

I’ve been in this business way too freakin long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas