Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,128,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that wages have remained flat for 30 years while everything else has gone up?

Are you by chance a flat earther, because I'm looking at a wage chart and it's not flat, a lot like the earth which leads me to believe you're not sure what flat means.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,061,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Opening a business is so eye opening everyone needs to do it once.
Once you start running the numbers and being on the hook for all the costs involved, you instantly become libertarian.

I make so many deposits I feel like a drug dealer. But after costs it's really not all the much.

I'll use last week as an example.
I deposited 6,789 dollars.
After expenses I had 1800 left over. After my bills I had 600. After putting back for taxes I had 300.
From almost 7 grand to 300.
So if someone looks at my deposits, they'd think I was making 7k a week and rolling in the dough.
But realistically I'm spending most of that on just living and running the business.
Yup former and current business owner myself. Agreed, expenses take a huge chunk that people just don't realize. That said, if you're only banking $300/wk, maybe some changes to the business plan are needed?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Ah, the old cat food myth! Seriously...cat food is FAR more expensive than people food...all it takes is simple logic to know this.

A bit of hyperbole, I admit, but the point remains. There are plenty of poor people from every generation including the big bad boomer.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Yup former and current business owner myself. Agreed, expenses take a huge chunk that people just don't realize. That said, if you're only banking $300/wk, maybe some changes to the business plan are needed?

Considering most new businesses make nothing, 1200-1800 a month put into savings after all expenses, living costs, expansion costs, and misc cost is pretty good. My business is about to grow. Right now I'm limited to my personal time. I'm moving into a shop where I can hire more people and make money off their work as well as mine.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
First off many industries are not free markets. Secondly, not everyone has access to capital, mentorship, and education which makes opening a business much more difficult, and lastly you’re giving business too much credit. For instance, Amazon is in the news for bad worker conditions and low wages but they have taken over 1.6 billion in taxcuts...that’s money not going to schools in many cities across the US. Tesla is another example where Nevada gave them a 1.3 billion dollar tax cut! All y’all come on here and ***** about how underfunded Clark County School District where look at where millions of its funding is going. You’re a mental slave to the upper class because you think they are more capable than you when the reality is that they have rigged the system so that they always come out the winner. Elizabeth Holmes is a shining example of how having connections can have you crowned the latest greatest “self made” billion without even having knowledge of what you’re doing or a viable and sustainable business model. And before you start spouting nonsensical I’ge bootstrapped several start ups and raised money to get myself into real estate investment with my first property in Henderson. MLK hit the nail on the head when he stated there are two America’s and it’s even truer now than when he spoke those truthful words. The upper class in this society are not working harder than Amazon warehouse employees and they are not necesarily smarter either. You are riding neocon talking points straight to the bottom of the barrel.
"It takes money to make money." Most "self made" millionaires I have met or read about got some decent startup seed money from a friend or relative... they did do the legwork in the beginning, but they didn't get to millionaire status by saving up at their job at Mickey D's.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
We spend 8,800 a year on each student already. The best schools in the country are spending a little bit more but they're all producing idiots anyway.
Having worked for CCSD I can tell you that the system is _drastically_ underfunded. I worked in IT. Total expenditure for all IT departments was at 1.8% of the FY budget. A typical school district funds at 5% and a business funds at 8% or more depending on what their line of business is. We were running 15 year old deprecated EOL'd antique equipment that was breaking down constantly. If you don't think this effects the quality of education, I don't know what does. When CCSD bonds finally matured for the first time in 8 years, IT got NO money because most of the windfall had to be spent on fixing broken air conditioning in about 200 schools.

Quote:
Plenty of businesses can be started with no money or very little money.
I have 500 worth of tools, my business license was free up to 27,000 dollars in income. Once I clear 27k I pay 200 bucks for the license. County license is 25 bucks. Insurance is 100 bucks a month.
I've had the tools for years and collected them over many years. So my only up front cost was 125. I made that back in the first hour of business.
Definitely not the norm.

Quote:
Median pay at Amazon is 13.50 an hour. Everyone I know that has worked for Amazon makes more than that. I don't think I've met a single worker that makes less than 18 an hour.
Every single one of them love their jobs. Amazon has 616,000 employees.
That means Amazon is spending 17,297,280,000 a year in wages not even counting the payroll taxes and other tax contributions Amazon has to match.
That is 17 BILLION dollars into the economy. On top of the direct workers, there's the sellers that are making money on Amazon. Some of these guys are making 30k a month in sales and there's a lot of them.
Amazon is contributing 10s of billions of dollars to the economy.
Amazon's retail business unit has never turned a profit. The only reason Amazon turns a profit at all is due to AWS and advertising revenue. They also work their employees to death.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Here is the very first college ad I saw on youtube when I searched.
They are marketing education and experience. NOT a job.
What would you say the character in the video needs education and experience for?

Quote:
Y'all think forehead tattoo is gonna be gainfully employed or is she going to be whining on a forum in 5 years about how she can't get a job and those damn boomers screwed her out of a future when really she made herself unemployable with face tattoos.
This isn't a reference that rings true for a large portion of the population. Most people do not have face tattoos nor do they ever intend on getting one.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Ah, the old cat food myth! Seriously...cat food is FAR more expensive than people food...all it takes is simple logic to know this.
More like hot dogs and spaghetti.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Are you by chance a flat earther, because I'm looking at a wage chart and it's not flat, a lot like the earth which leads me to believe you're not sure what flat means.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N
I don't believe in flat earth "theory."

WooHoo! $9900 increase in 32 years! Oh yeah, they changed the consumer price index some time ago, which is used to calculate that chart. The inflation adjusted number before a particular date (I think, 2000) are not comparable to the current numbers.

General cost of living expenses have increased far more rapidly than wages and inflation over that same time period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas