Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 PM

97 posts, read 305,556 times

Advertisements

in los angeles, there are many. did not see any when i visited the last time, but are they putting them there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,371,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasudab View Post
in los angeles, there are many. did not see any when i visited the last time, but are they putting them there?
So far they are not legal here.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM

697 posts, read 3,280,197 times
Nope, they are illegal according to the Nevada constitution.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Nope, they are illegal according to the Nevada constitution.
Let's hope it stays that way. Not that I approve of red light runners.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 PM

They have been proven to help in other municipalities. Denver has seen huge drops in Red light related accidents by installing them. I for one, am in total support of the idea.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
They have been proven to help in other municipalities. Denver has seen huge drops in Red light related accidents by installing them. I for one, am in total support of the idea.
Go to the New Mexico thread on City Data and read what the Albuquerque-ans say about them. People are not happy with more abuse of our freedom. I understand they cause more rear end collisions. Whether it's true or not, they claim the city lowered the timing of yellow lights in order to cause more red light runners, and thus raise more money from fines. I've heard that occurred here and other places as well. One of these days the government will go too far and people will start fighting back as they did in 1775. I doubt that you will agree, but from what I see, the police are way out of control.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM

Actually, I will agree, the government is out of control, and we let them be this way. The people are out of control as well. I have been in some great police departments as well. You know, the ones where the citizens and the police work together (Denver PD rings a bell). I think NLVPD wants to get this way, they just don't know how. But until this can be fixed, it's what we have. The ones in Denver are not mis-managed and they are very effective. If they could be done properly, then they should be done.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,675,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Go to the New Mexico thread on City Data and read what the Albuquerque-ans say about them. People are not happy with more abuse of our freedom. I understand they cause more rear end collisions. Whether it's true or not, they claim the city lowered the timing of yellow lights in order to cause more red light runners, and thus raise more money from fines. I've heard that occurred here and other places as well. One of these days the government will go too far and people will start fighting back as they did in 1775. I doubt that you will agree, but from what I see, the police are way out of control.
Dont say you doubt anyone will agree. I agree. There are a few of us who dream of a revolt and fight back. The oinks and the govt are way way way out of control. Us peons are being reduced to little mice.

About those light cameras. I am not for taking yet another freedom from us and certianly not in favor of yet another way for big brother to extort even more of our hard earned money from us for their own good. But something has to be done with the red runners. More people are being killed from red runners then from drunk drivers. That is quite unbelievable.

But what can we do? The oinks refuse to watch over intersections. The fines for speeding far exceed red light running fines so they go for the money violations. In the mean time we have to look both ways when we get a green and really hesitate before going.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:16 PM

As with everything, education and understanding is the key.

Start!

Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Quote:
I dug around in the statistics a few months ago and found a very mixed bag.

It apparently depends on the intersection. In some places the accident totals went up substantially. In others down. If I remember correctly the classic T bones went down...but in some places where there were very few accidents a large number of tail enders resulted.

The AZ highway department was indicating a mixed bag with uncertain outcome on safety but with huge revenue yields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas