Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 07:30 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,124,963 times

Advertisements

My kid doesn't do her school work or homework and still knows the material well enough to own the state on tests. It's not because my kid is a supergenius, because she ain't. Schools cater to the dumbest instead of the smartest. They need to leave the dumb kids behind and focus on the intelligent kids so we don't end up in Idiocracy in 10 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 07:43 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,679,825 times
Are you seriously bragging that you are aware your daughter isn't doing her part and you do nothing about it?

Probably the NUMBER ONE problem with our educational system today is lack of parental involvement in the education process and failure to teach kids any accountability and self discipline. Education is about MORE than passing tests

Her school work might be a cake walk at the moment but if she plans to really pursue anything worthwhile education wise, that time WILL come to an end.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:59 PM

No. I'm saying the material is so easy it's pathetic.

I can't hold her hand in class and make her do the class work.
The homework is random sites online. There's nothing showing what needs done. We've asked her teachers to let us know what needs done. They don't.
The school emails and calls me 9000000 times a day about fund raisers. But not a peep on work.
We have her do everything we know about.

Again... the issue, if you read....is how pathetic the curriculum is.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:16 PM

149 posts, read 400,750 times
My kid doesn't do her school work or homework.

Maybe tell her that she should? Even if its easy?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:36 PM

Did you guys go to school here? Seems like you did.

The point is... a slacking student should be at the bottom of the school, district, and state not the top.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 PM

755 posts, read 400,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Are you seriously bragging that you are aware your daughter isn't doing her part and you do nothing about it?

Probably the NUMBER ONE problem with our educational system today is lack of parental involvement in the education process and failure to teach kids any accountability and self discipline. Education is about MORE than passing tests

Her school work might be a cake walk at the moment but if she plans to really pursue anything worthwhile education wise, that time WILL come to an end.
Exactly, it is called study habit for a reason.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
The point that is trying to be made by EA and, apparently, is too difficult for some to comprehend is that the schools need a curriculum that challenges the students, and teachers that challenge the parents to be involved in more than fund raising. If there was such a system in place then students like his daughter would have to study to get the test scores she so easily gets now.

I was one of those students when I went to school and we had "advanced tracks" for the "smart kids" that was a half-notch level above the standard curriculum. I was still bored and still aced tests without studying, and I was not alone.

This is why students from other countries make most of ours look like idiots. Some countries believe in their educational system and pushing their bright students. Here we just bore the crap out of them so all the slow kids don't get held back.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:16 AM

927 posts, read 884,896 times
Please don't buy into the current talking points that all our schools need is more funding and the problems will be fixed.

More funding won't put an end to the practice of social promotion instead of academic promotion.

More funding won't bring back discipline to the classroom and allow teachers to remove disruptive students.

More funding won't change how parents view school as free daycare instead of a place to learn useful life skills.

Our current funding levels are so awful that we would need to at least double our budgets to have any sort of meaningful impact.

We haven't had new curriculum in 15 years. Our computers still have Windows XP.

Our class sizes average 40 students. There are no supplies for the students who don't bring their own.

Any funding proposal would be the equivalent of using duct tape to fix a leaking pipe. Not only that, the funds will disproportionately be allocated to the neediest students that we already spend far too much of our resources on.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:57 AM

Who said anything about funding? They need to actually educate people instead of create test zombies.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:23 AM

848 posts, read 649,112 times
All responses above are reasons why we have opted out of the system and home educate our kids. Nevada gives home educators quite a bit of flexibility and does not require annual testing or evaluations. Before anyone indicates that home education is not feasible for most, I would point out that we know many families with four or more kids who have chosen home education. Those families have made certain budgetary decisions which enable them to home educate their children at a fraction of the cost of the public school system. I wholeheartedly agree with 08grad's following comment above: " More funding won't change how parents view school as free daycare instead of a place to learn useful life skills."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: