Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,492,706 times

Advertisements

@NLV, I'll rep your post x100. Sadly Clark County is changing. Thirty two years and I have seen the type of people who we now have as our neighbors. Not looking good but on the bright side, you make the best of the situation regardless of the location of your home! People are moving here from all over the United States not just from CA without a doubt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,492,706 times
.......and the Raiders are coming! Goodluck to us all!

Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 3,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm sorry Twichy. It must have been horrifying to come home to that.
Thank you for the empathy, it was quite irritating. The real frustration came afterwards though. Finding out just how much more prevalent these break-ins have become in the area and how impotent our law enforcement has become in handling things.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for police officers. I think that police and firefighters are the finest men and women that our society have. It is the binding of their hands and the insufficient deterrents offered, once they have done their job, that cause the spreading of crime through our neighborhoods.

Quote:
it's not just Summerlin. It's all over. it started creeping up several years ago, but we have California gangs here now. Section 8 vouchers are transferable to Nevada, and they can get a lot more for their housing allowance.

Yes, unfortunately our city seems to be under siege. I had looked into becoming more active in my neighborhood several years ago, but the wasn't much to get active about. Now we have dozens of strangers wandering our streets every day. I can only imagine what more easily accessed parts of the city are going through.

Quote:
California also released a bunch of guys who were in prison on small drug charges. Well, just because that was the only charge that would stick doesn't mean that's the only thing he was up to.

Very true. Our "justice system" has forgotten why it exists and has seemingly trans morphed into a criminal protection system. It makes it much more difficult for law enforcement to do their job when a large part of society is working diligently to prevent the punishment of criminals.

Quote:
And lastly, we have the cash investors who swooped in here and bought up a lot of houses during the crash. These investors don't care what kind of people they rent to, as long as the rent is paid. Most of them don't even live here

That was and is a big problem in many neighborhoods. While I must confess to having owned more than one property at a time, I have always felt a special duty towards the neighborhoods I own in to be very careful about who I allowed in. To me it isn't just about rent money, it is about filling empty homes and helping good people improve their lives. I have spent a lot of time on homeowner's boards and working with them and have seen the damage that absentee landlords can cause in our community.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:20 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
I've heard it said to be careful regarding the US Postal Service. If you put your mail on vacation hold, an unscrupulous employee of USPS sells the information to someone who isn't at the USPS and the end result is a burglary attempt.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 09-16-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 10:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Changed my mind.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-16-2018 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-17-2018, 11:28 AM

19 posts, read 22,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twichy View Post
Back to the topic. I would recommend against buying in Summerlin at this point WhiteNight. I would have recommended for it until the past couple of years. Crime has been seeming to rise ever since the mall and its bus depot were installed in Summerlin West. We have a LOT more foot traffic and vagrants now. I knew that car theft had been rising, but found out this past week that burglary has skyrocketed.

I have lived in the Vistas for 8 years now and had loved it. (Ignorance is bliss)

Much of the advice being given here is either wrong or just doesn’t understand the point of living somewhere nice. Staying at home all of the time with a gun behind steel bars while not owning anything nice is much cheaper in a ghetto. Why pay half a million or more to live in a prison?

I’ve learned a bit more about the break-ins this past week, because I came home from vacation to a burglarized home. I live at the end of a block under street lights with nosy neighbors and surrounded by dogs. I have a dog, but she was staying with a friend since I don’t leave her alone for days. A few friends and neighbors knew I was gone, but they cannot watch 24/7.

The criminals climbed over my 6 foot wall and broke in a window, the locked and barred sliding door had no effect. The never bothered to open the main doors, no need to set off possible sensors. They didn’t set foot on the front porch, no need to be on doorbell camera. They didn’t walk up the driveway, no need to be captured by multiple neighborhood cameras. Simply quietly break a back window, remove the lock and slide it open.

Once inside they, it appears to have been a crew, split up into the bedrooms and quickly rifled through all of our belongings while staging their loot in the living room by the unopened patio door. A nice area since we have walls and a locked gate to protect them from nosy neighbors.

They took any high end valuables they could find, small electronics, and fireproof safes. They dumped out everything in my den until they found my cash and dvds. At that point it appears that they finally opened the patio door (no worry about sensors now, they will be gone before the police get called), cut the padlock off the gate, and loaded everything into their vehicle. Quick escape and not a dog to bark. I did mention that we have dogs on three sides, right?

This is what I have determined using the broken glass, boot prints, and a trail of tax receipts that they spewed on their way out. The police haven’t given me an opinion because although they were nice enough to take the report over the phone, they simply did not have the manpower to respond. Now that I have seen the crime mapping data for 89138, I can see why.

As far as your response time question goes, I reported it in the evening on the 7th. I’ll let you know as soon as they respond. I would recommend having a stolen firearm or an injured person if you want to have an actual officer respond at all, monetary amount does not matter. I don’t blame them though, the crime numbers are amazing and yet the community doesn’t know.

These aren’t random stragglers, they appear to be pros. They hit when families are not home and they hit alarms AND cameras. Search deeply and you will find a video of them flipping off a security camera.

The only way we will actually prevent this crime outbreak is by severely punishing the criminals.
Thank you for your response Twichy and so sorry to hear about the break-in. I completely agree about the punishment needing to fit the crime. If you give everyone a slap on the wrist and a $100 fine for burglary, they will keep doing it. If you cut a hand off for burglary, you are going to bet that crime will decrease dramatically. Sure cutting someone's hand off is harsh and borderline cruel to some people, but these criminals are knowingly deciding to enter a residence and take what is not theirs. It's simple, "don't commit crime and nothing bad happens to you".

My only advice is to have motion detectors installed into the main rooms and ANY break-in will be detected. With cell phones and motion detectors nowadays, I'm sure your phone can be notified if someone triggers that and you can call police (if that will do anything) or tell a neighbor and hope they can do something about it. Your post provides lots of details regarding a burglary and hope it helps some people to prevent it in the future.

I'm really hoping the Summerlin Police Station opening next year will allow faster response times and more police in the area since it is very close by.

Anyone ever wonder if there should be a patrolling armed guard for each zip code that residents could pay for? Money is obviously not a huge issue in these affluent neighborhoods and I'm sure most would be willing to pay a little for a sense of security and quick response. It would only be $5 a month per household in 89138 for a 24-hour guard making $30/hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaEastOakland View Post
I was just burglarized this week in Green Valley Ranch. My hood has seen a HUGE rise in burglaries and robberies over the last multiple years. I moved out of the Bay Area to get away from this. Every time I go to get gas at the station at Green Valley Parkway and Hoizon Ridge I get hit up for money. This was rare when I moved here 5 years ago. My mom lives in Sun City Anthem and 4 houses on her street have been burglarized in the last month. One was a home invasion. These thugs have no respect! Henderson PD says they are overwhelmed.

Eeek, sorry to hear that. When multiple people on CD are getting burglarized within a week or two, you know it's getting bad.

Can't stand getting asked for money at the gas station. Happens way too often.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:00 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princeton1990 View Post
I am very sorry this happened to you, but The Vistas and Summerlin in general is very safe and you are statistically much less likely to be a victim there than anywhere else in Las Vegas. Crime can happen anywhere. My brother-in -law is a Metro officer in the commands that covers Summerlin (NW and Spring Valley) and burglaries and all other categories are DOWN in Summerlin even through they’re up in other parts of NW, Spring Valley and the rest of the valley. To say that Downtown Summerlin has resulted in a decrease in our quality of like is illogical. Are you referring to the beautiful bus depot adjacent to City National Arena?
Downtown Summerlin and now other attractions bring people that normally would have no reason to be in the area. It's not unique of course, but the impact is noticable. If you join Summerlin and surrounding on Nextdoor you will see the crime complaints. It's an entire valley issue not just Summerlin. Summerlin residents are pretty proactive though they get the news involved.
We've been complaining about the homeless on here for years. They are pretty plentiful in Jonathan's dreaded Spring Valley area. I used to take my dog to Desert Breeze dog park super early or late I'm too scared to do that anymore. Between the homeless druggies, attempted rapists and kidnaps I avoid it. Smith's on Hualapai and Charleston now has security thanks to problems.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
This seems like the right place to put this.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM

19 posts, read 22,047 times
Thanks for posting Tek_Freek.

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts or comments regarding my idea for private security in Summerlin. Back in the day only people who paid the fire department got their services...this is a similar idea for private security.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Security can't be every where at all times. We have "Courtesy patrol" in Peccole Ranch. These guys are very good and go above and beyond, but we still have problems. Homeowners really need to be proactive: meet neighbors, organize meetings and such. These days we should appreciate nosy neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas