Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 05:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,124,963 times

Advertisements

I THINK you can do a 2008 with one of them. Not sure which.
But in January you'd have to get a new vehicle.

I recommend a 14-15 Caravan base model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
Use a vehicle that you do not have a payment on. If you finance read the fine print, rideshare = commercial vehicle which voids the warranty and the loan can be called due

Old 04-29-2018, 08:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,057,150 times
I thought Flex might be a good idea but if you can't get the shifts it's not worth the effort.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,016,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I thought Flex might be a good idea but if you can't get the shifts it's not worth the effort.
Flex not even hiring here. I have a friend who always gets shifts

Old 04-30-2018, 02:50 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulwara Road View Post
For what it’s worth, here’s my experience of driving for Uber/Lyft and Amazon Flex.

I did Amazon for about 4 months in late 2016/early 2017. Some shifts were great, in that you could finish a 3 hour block in 1 or 1.5 hours. Some shifts were crap though - if you have a package that can’t be delivered you have to take it back to the depot and you don’t get paid to do that. And if you have a lot of deliveries to apartments it can take forever, and you will definitely have to take packages back to the depot as there is rarely a safe place to leave packages unattended.

As for Uber/Lyft I cant see anyway to make a living out of it. I averaged about 50-70 hours a week, usually starting at around 4.00am Monday - Friday and would finish at around 10.00am, then go back out at about 3.00pm and work until 7 ish. On a Friday I’d stay out until around midnight, and Saturday I’d work from about midday until about midnight. Sundays I’d work mid afternoon until about 10,00pm.

Last year I did about 30,000 miles, and my combined earnings were about $40k. In addition to this I made about $150-$200 a week in tips.

Less than minimum wage with no benefits.

We have left Las Vegas to live back in Australia, so had to sell my car when we left. I lost about $10k on the sale, so a year of rideshare driving was done for around $2 an hour.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to consider doing it as a full time job, as it is almost impossible to make a decent living in Las Vegas doing it.
My point exactly. I don't know what EA is talking about (in post #45). I drive a company vehicle and I don't really care if I put 10k, 20k or 30k miles per year on it (I did last year); and I don't have to worry about oil changes, new tires, or if something breaks down on it. It's all paid for by the company as a cost of doing business and I'm sure it's ultimately built into the pricing structure.

He used to be a carpenter but now wants to be an Uber driver? Wow. Bad move. It sounds to me, based on how he worded his post, that he couldn't even handle the responsibility of that job and he uses the "all the old guys are hurt" excuse. Well I know some who are broken down in their 40's and others in their 60's who are quite spry, but I think all of them would've ended up that way regardless of their job. I'm in my early 30's and look early-mid 20's because I eat well and exercise (yes, after work too, no sob stories for me).

The guys who's bodies are torn up are usually the smokers, drinkers, and obese guys anyway. As for the ones taking pills for "pain"? They were going to be pill poppers no matter what career route they chose. Seriously, I don't get all the excuses. It sounds like EA just does not want to do actual work or maybe he just got fired because he couldn't hack it.

Oh well, he can enjoy the uncompensated 30k per year on his vehicle and all the associated gas, maintenance and insurance costs.....and no benefits....for basically peanuts worth of earnings.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
My point exactly. I don't know what EA is talking about (in post #45). I drive a company vehicle and I don't really care if I put 10k, 20k or 30k miles per year on it (I did last year); and I don't have to worry about oil changes, new tires, or if something breaks down on it. It's all paid for by the company as a cost of doing business and I'm sure it's ultimately built into the pricing structure.

He used to be a carpenter but now wants to be an Uber driver? Wow. Bad move. It sounds to me, based on how he worded his post, that he couldn't even handle the responsibility of that job and he uses the "all the old guys are hurt" excuse. Well I know some who are broken down in their 40's and others in their 60's who are quite spry, but I think all of them would've ended up that way regardless of their job. I'm in my early 30's and look early-mid 20's because I eat well and exercise (yes, after work too, no sob stories for me).

The guys who's bodies are torn up are usually the smokers, drinkers, and obese guys anyway. As for the ones taking pills for "pain"? They were going to be pill poppers no matter what career route they chose. Seriously, I don't get all the excuses. It sounds like EA just does not want to do actual work or maybe he just got fired because he couldn't hack it.

Oh well, he can enjoy the uncompensated 30k per year on his vehicle and all the associated gas, maintenance and insurance costs.....and no benefits....for basically peanuts worth of earnings.

I'll take 100k a year in exchange for racking up miles and spending a whopping 600 bucks in maintenance.

I have many many issues with the labor union jobs.
Number 1 is the lay offs between jobs. That forces you to live off savings and unemployment.
Number 2 the politics of it all. They wanted us to go marching in the streets for Hillary now they are pushing Sisolak.
Number 3 the wear and tear on your body. A typical 45 year old male office worker doesn't need to pop pain pills and muscle relaxers to get back up after break time. A typical labor worker does.
My 22 year old electrician friend is already having back issues from his short time in the union. 4 years.
Number 4 I make more now than I did in the union and do a whole lot less work now. More money for less work is called being smart.
Number 5 rideshare let me start my own business and gives me the flexibility to work whenever I want or need.
Number 6 with the hour requirements for healthcare coverage, 2 missed days in 3 months can cost you 3 months of healthcare, so even in the union you can be without benefits.

And if you want to talk crap about my work ethic, you're welcome to come hang out at my shop. I'll work circles around you or anyone else commenting on this.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:16 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I'll take 100k a year in exchange for racking up miles and spending a whopping 600 bucks in maintenance.

I have many many issues with the labor union jobs.
Number 1 is the lay offs between jobs. That forces you to live off savings and unemployment.
Number 2 the politics of it all. They wanted us to go marching in the streets for Hillary now they are pushing Sisolak.
Number 3 the wear and tear on your body. A typical 45 year old male office worker doesn't need to pop pain pills and muscle relaxers to get back up after break time. A typical labor worker does.
My 22 year old electrician friend is already having back issues from his short time in the union. 4 years.
Number 4 I make more now than I did in the union and do a whole lot less work now. More money for less work is called being smart.
Number 5 rideshare let me start my own business and gives me the flexibility to work whenever I want or need.
Number 6 with the hour requirements for healthcare coverage, 2 missed days in 3 months can cost you 3 months of healthcare, so even in the union you can be without benefits.

And if you want to talk crap about my work ethic, you're welcome to come hang out at my shop. I'll work circles around you or anyone else commenting on this.
Sounds well and good, but you make about 20-30k a year driving Uber, certainly not 100k. Nice try though.

IF that were the case I'd jump ship too.

1. Layoffs? In 4½ years I've NEVER been laid off. Sorry to hear that you suck, bud. Sorry to hear that you just weren't getting called back in.

2. No politics in my company at all.

3. The "wear and tear" you speak of feels pretty good. I sleep well at night. I wouldn't call it exercies, and it is certainly hard work, but I don't feel the pangs.

3.5. I'm a 32 year old electrician and I'm sick of the crybabies who are complaining about "back issues". Lol, everyone has a little bit of it, even worse if you're in an office job, even worse if you're a driver of some sort and not moving around. Awwww boo hoo, your back hurts? I've been to war a couple of times and I'm not faking back issues from that either. Get healthy or get lost chump. Stop being lazy.

4. Nope, you do not make more money. And you work silly hours. I work 7-3 and the rest is overtime. I can choose to start early if I want, I can swap a week day for a Saturday, I can work 40 hours or 70 and it's never a problem, no shortage of work.

5. A rideshare is not your own business. You are technically a subcontractor (and not the lucrative kind either) getting your clocked cleaned. Uber is making a killing off of suckers like you.

6. What missed days? I've never lost heath coverage. I've never called out sick either, but even if I did I would not lose coverage. Lol. You're crazy dude, you obviously did not play your cards right.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM
EA

I showed my earnings....look a couple pages back. 2k x 52 is 100k.

Never said rideshare was my business. I have a fabrication shop. You might want to learn how to read.

Carpenters unions works differently than electricians union. They require a lot of hours to qualify for health coverage.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
Again I have to quote. For a different poster this time.

This is paraphrased.

Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult
Winning an argument with a stupid person is extremely difficult
Winning an argument with a know-it-all is impossible

Always ignore them and move on. They will wither on the vine

Rochelle Safford
Secret of my Success
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: