Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,501,432 times

Advertisements

Summerlin South has playgrounds in its communities, so where do you stop, where do you draw the line? How about communities with trails, people can get mugged there, how about those same areas without CCTV cameras. If I remember correctly Goodman's son got mugged in one of the restrooms in the park in Summerlin. There were no available CCTV cameras outside in the area of the park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:57 PM

23,317 posts, read 29,192,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xusafpilot View Post
First, do not buy in a neighborhood that has a playground. The liability could be just like that!
And if a child falls into a pool and drowns with no lifeguard on duty at a community pool? During pool season at my complex they're always looking for voluntary lifeguards! And not enough volunteers?

I talked to an owner here who went to the last HOA meeting, with the HOA fees going from $135 to $173.50, and she said the arguments were so heated she had to leave. Last time they increased the dues, the Treasurer's truck was repeatedly vandalized.

I see with this last meeting, she doesn't park her truck in front of her townhouse, as I pass her truck/townhouse on my way to work. Better safe than sorry!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,531,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
Summerlin South has playgrounds in its communities, so where do you stop, where do you draw the line? How about communities with trails, people can get mugged there, how about those same areas without CCTV cameras. If I remember correctly Goodman's son got mugged in one of the restrooms in the park in Summerlin. There were no available CCTV cameras outside in the area of the park.
Yes he did. But there is a back story to that. That wasn't random. All I will say is he was 'looking for trouble.'

Has that happened before or since in that area? Frankly west of 215, is still Summerlin but not as nice as many areas east of 215.

I walk at night fearlessly in my guard gated HOA. Some of my neighbors go out at 3:30 am and walk in the summer to avoid the heat and sun.

One of my BF's is a top agent here. Msot of her sellers want HOA"s but she sell higher end.

There are people looking for non-HOA's because

1. They want to do something on the property that an HOA would not allow. Like a legit distillery. No joke. 6+ acres. The house they were looking further south like the Ridges would of cost double or triple what they would be getting in Section 10. GORGEOUS home. A UFC fighter stays there when in town for a fight and he brings a large entourage. And makes a mess of the house. Yet still no buyers. Years later. As most in higher price ranges want the property value protection that an HOA will offer. Would you put 6.5 million in a house with no HOA. Thought so.

2. There are some people that see HOA rules as a hinderance to their way of life. They are doing things that I would not want in my neighborhood. Car on blocks, refridge in front yard, house painted purple cause they want to tick off their neighbors. Etc.

There are solid HOA'S in town. I live in one, dues are high, we have more than enough in reserves for issues. Huge liability policy.

Non-HOA properties will never be worth more than a good solid HOA property.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:47 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,918,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I walk at night fearlessly in my guard gated HOA.
Foundapeanut, I pity the fool who attempted to bother you on your walks. My guess is he would pull back a bloody stump instead of a hand, and in short order would find himself a quadriplegic.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
I lived in NLV for over a dozen years and never locked my doors. Walked around at 3AM if I wanted to. I lived about a mile south of Aliante. This town has changed a bit in the last few years ( Vegas in general ) but overall, I think it's still a pretty safe place in most newer parts of the valley.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,359,349 times
I am an HOA board member in a community that adjoins Lamplight Village. This is the first I have heard of this.

Fortunately for us, our common areas are very small, we don't maintain parks or own any equipment that is likely to injure anyone. The things that we do own, we spend the money to have them regularly maintained - which is a point that has really been driven home in this incident.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that they could have avoided this with a $150 monthly charge. For our board, it would have been a no brainer from a liability standpoint alone. We are also fortunate that one of our board members is a contractor, and he has been invaluable in helping us to decide what is necessary and when we might be getting overcharged.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:06 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,531,946 times
^^^^^ don't you think they'll try to settle it or file an appeal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Foundapeanut, I pity the fool who attempted to bother you on your walks. My guess is he would pull back a bloody stump instead of a hand, and in short order would find himself a quadriplegic.
HAHA! Guess you missed the thread where I explained I got taken down by a white cockateel named Cool Whip.

I think after 50, many women get mouthy from life experiences, or we fall into the wrong crowd. Which is other women with similar experiences! We feed off each other. Having a finely tuned bs detector helps. Also, blame too much contact with Middle eastern rug dealers.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,170,120 times
Quote:

HAHA! Guess you missed the thread where I explained I got taken down by a white cockateel named Cool Whip.

I think after 50, many women get mouthy from life experiences, or we fall into the wrong crowd. Which is other women with similar experiences! We feed off each other. Having a finely tuned bs detector helps. Also, blame too much contact with Middle eastern rug dealers.
Amen. Though I'm not 50 quite yet.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:07 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,501,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I am an HOA board member in a community that adjoins Lamplight Village. This is the first I have heard of this.

Fortunately for us, our common areas are very small, we don't maintain parks or own any equipment that is likely to injure anyone. The things that we do own, we spend the money to have them regularly maintained - which is a point that has really been driven home in this incident.

I am absolutely flabbergasted that they could have avoided this with a $150 monthly charge. For our board, it would have been a no brainer from a liability standpoint alone. We are also fortunate that one of our board members is a contractor, and he has been invaluable in helping us to decide what is necessary and when we might be getting overcharged.
Our community's HOA is decent keeping up with maintenance on the common areas but our community is also infested with investor owned properties just like many of the communities around Clark County. So how do you protect yourself when knowing there are others in the community that are NOT truly invested in their dwelling meaning, people that will truly care for the community and call it their home. These investor owned tenants can pack up and leave anytime compared to the homeowners who only want what is best for the community.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:46 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,048,950 times
Quote:

"Court records show that Lamplight Village was offered multiple settlement offers, initially for less than a million dollars. Claggett said he wanted to settle in order to save his client from having to testify, but the HOA refused"

Source:
Homeowners consider suing HOA after it loses $20 million swing s - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas