Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:14 AM

1,966 posts, read 4,351,706 times

Advertisements

transparentnevada.com/salaries/2016/clark-county-school-district/[/url]

From 2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,086,243 times
Sending insufficient amounts of money to schools directly isn't going to make it somehow enough.

The CCSD central administration to student ratio is actually very reasonable for a school district of it's size. This idea that it's administrative overhead that is suffocating schools is a myth.

Nevada is in the bottom 10% of the country spending ~$8,600 per pupil per year. Compare that to Pennsylvania or Massachusetts which are in the $14,000-$16,000 per pupil per year range.

You can become as efficient as humanly possible but you're not going to bridge those gaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Now to the point CCSD isn't top heavy, ask yourself this if that's true then where is the money going because it's not going to the schools first. If it was, there wouldn't be issues with overcrowding or teachers filling positions. The central administration takes enough that the schools are left with scraps.
Those numbers don't look bad to me, if anything, might be a little low. They're basically running a 2.8 billion dollar business and you want them to work for peanuts?? Sure, The superintendent makes a good salary. The 2nd in line, deputy superintendents make 150k? My manager makes that. I have a tech worker friends (non management) who make more than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova;
transparentnevada.com/salaries/2016/clark-county-school-district

From 2016

Last edited by WestieJeff; 01-26-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM

Yeah but the trouble with that argument is that while the school levels were told to cut and slash that was not the case at administration. Read the CCSD budget for 2017-2018 and you see the admin only had a .1% cut whereas the school level had to cut 6% across the board.

Last year, my son took spanish 1 and the teacher went on maternity leave. During that leave, CCSD moved her position out of that school because the school was forced to eliminate it so no more spanish at his school. The individual schools are having to lose out which means it gets passed down to the kids.

Our kids will be fine but others won't be, just another day in the life of CCSD.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,420,223 times
Quote:
Yeah but the trouble with that argument is that while the school levels were told to cut and slash that was not the case at administration. Read the CCSD budget for 2017-2018 and you see the admin only had a .1% cut whereas the school level had to cut 6% across the board.

Last year, my son took spanish 1 and the teacher went on maternity leave. During that leave, CCSD moved her position out of that school because the school was forced to eliminate it so no more spanish at his school. The individual schools are having to lose out which means it gets passed down to the kids.

Our kids will be fine but others won't be, just another day in the life of CCSD.

The problem however is not the Admin. It is the thing is simply under funded. As I have pointed out before the SW states have always underfunded education.

The administration always defends itself in these situations. And there is some truth to it. Administrations virtually always consist of a few high paid individuals and a fleet of paper pushers who make the system work. You simply don't lay off one of the three people who know how the bus scheduling system works. Instead you layoff one of the 300 teachers who do Kindergarten. And I suspect that will always be the case.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The problem however is not the Admin. It is the thing is simply under funded. As I have pointed out before the SW states have always underfunded education.

The administration always defends itself in these situations. And there is some truth to it. Administrations virtually always consist of a few high paid individuals and a fleet of paper pushers who make the system work. You simply don't lay off one of the three people who know how the bus scheduling system works. Instead you layoff one of the 300 teachers who do Kindergarten. And I suspect that will always be the case.
Of course which falls right to my earlier point that in the end it trickles down to the kids who lose out.

So let's shift to revenue side, there's been talk in the past about having a lottery. What does everyone think is the best way to increase student funding?

Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,086,243 times
Lottery would also be a drop in the bucket. Look at at AZ which has a population approx double NV. Their benefit to state programs from lottery is around 175 million per year. Halve that number due to population, pretend that they directed it all towards education (they wouldn't) and yay you just upped per pupil funding by $270 per student per year, around 4% increase.

IMO, property tax increases are the most realistic mechanism to properly fund schools. I don't think a state income tax would fly and our sales tax is alright decently high.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/e...atter-of-time/

Quote:
So let's shift to revenue side, there's been talk in the past about having a lottery. What does everyone think is the best way to increase student funding?

Old 01-27-2018, 07:27 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,918,626 times
Quote:
This phenomenon is not unique to CCSD. It happens across the nation. Various state and federal laws and regulations create unfunded mandates for an ever-increasing number of things, the consequence of which is scarce resources are allocated to administration. Those unfunded mandates do not care if there is a budget cut; they are a superpriority on scarce funds. They are never cut unless the underlying laws and regulations go away -- and that rarely happens. In the best of cases, a mandate merely replaced with a new mandate.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:36 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,918,626 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Money is fungible -- an incremental $X from a lottery isn't really incremental. At the state level, $X is cut from overall school funds, and is made up from lottery funds so the net is a flat budget. That's the extreme case, of course.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:04 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,823,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't work. Money is fungible -- an incremental $X from a lottery isn't really incremental. At the state level, $X is cut from overall school funds, and is made up from lottery funds so the net is a flat budget. That's the extreme case, of course.
Word of the Day:

Fungible: (of goods contracted for without an individual specimen being specified) able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.
"money is fungible—money that is raised for one purpose can easily be used for another"

Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 PM

243 posts, read 239,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindroplotus View Post
I've searched the first few pages and haven't really seen anything about family friendly areas. I currently live in Utah, but I am from Southern California and my husband is from Northern California. We have been wanting out of Utah for years. We don't like the altitude, weather, culture, or the pollution. Personally, I have had my heart set on Austin, TX because the humidity sounds like a dream. My husband is trying to convince me that Vegas is better because housing is cheaper, proximity to family and friends in Southern California, proximity to family in Northern and Southern Utah, and most importantly...NO SNOW. These are all great points, but I worry about the culture. I have 4 children, ages 2 to 15. One goes to online school and both me and my husband work from home, so being homebodies makes me think the "Sin City" things that concern me would be a non-issue. I've spent a lot of time in Vegas at all different times of the year, but mostly on the strip so I have no idea what the suburbs are like. We'd be renting, looking for 4+ bedrooms under 2k, preferrably around $1500-1700. What areas should I be looking in?
If you are from Utah, the NW portions of Las Vegas will suit you nicely. Lots and lots of Utah license plates and lots of Mormon families in some extremely large "family" homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas