Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Followed in two or three weeks by the olive trees. Yes we do have pollen...though more restricted in type and location than back east. But if your nose does not care for mulberry or olive there are large sections of the central city you best stay out of until it hits a 100 degrees. Not much after that.
Of course, very limited to time of year, and location, unless windy, as today. Another poster expresses concern over dust, which actually concerns me more---as construction is digging up who knows what, that was buried in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
Of course, very limited to time of year, and location, unless windy, as today. Another poster expresses concern over dust, which actually concerns me more---as construction is digging up who knows what, that was buried in the past.
Good point. Be thankful that we don't have Valley fever...

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Good point. Be thankful that we don't have Valley fever...
I don't know that valley fever is a problem in this dry climate--- I would think perchlorate a bigger threat.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
I don't know that valley fever is a problem in this dry climate--- I would think perchlorate a bigger threat.
Dust related. Significant around Phoenix and in the central valley of CA at various times.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 PM

638 posts, read 2,243,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden702 View Post

-I had one last question about traffic. I am planning on moving to the southwest area and was wondering if one needs to worry about traffic anywere in this area? The majority of my interests are in the Southwest area and dont really need to cross 15 at all unless I want to visit the strip of course. Does other areas get very congested?

Any help I can get with these questions would be great. Thanks for your time.
Traffic in the southwest is pretty heavy from 7:30 to 8:30AM and then again from around 2:30 to 6:30PM. Its not much better or worse than any other area of town. You'll pretty much have the same traffic woes no matter what part of the valley you live. Its not as bad as you might think on the surface streets. They build them wide with lots of lanes.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Traffic in the southwest is pretty heavy from 7:30 to 8:30AM and then again from around 2:30 to 6:30PM. Its not much better or worse than any other area of town. You'll pretty much have the same traffic woes no matter what part of the valley you live. Its not as bad as you might think on the surface streets. They build them wide with lots of lanes.
The SW is getting better but it has a long way to go yet. It is simply the way the NW was 5 or 6 years ago. It lacks the infrastructure to support its traffic particularly on the west side. Ain't great in a few other areas.

Two or three years down the pike it will be OK. But still real tough right now in spots.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:18 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
or just as bad....Who knows WHO that was buried in the past.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Hopefully it's not too late to post this for you, but if you suffer from allergies don't come here, you will be miserable!!! I am miserable pretty much year round, I suffer from allergies to just about everything, but the most pervasive seem to be mulberry, olive, and ragweed, which seems to be a problem for most of the year. Olive and ragweed are blooming right now and I have to use an inhaler because I can barely breathe. I was forced to go on a prophylactic daily migraine med my headaches got so bad from the pollen. All the other grasses and trees are blooming now too, and the air fills with fine dust when the wind blows (which it has non-stop for about a month) so it is pretty sucky. A lot of people live on Kenelog (sp?) shots to control allergy symptoms, which basically is a steroid. Immunotherapy takes a long time to work. Also, traffic sucks. Especially 9-5 traffic. I know the community college offers a lot of online courses, I don't know about weekend classes. If you are young, the night life is probably good, but expensive. However, the town can be a bit soulless. The summers are hot hot, but I'm sure you know that. Good luck whatever you do.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:26 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
actually i have the same problems, sinus, migraines etc.... they are much much better in vegas than in ohio

Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
As far as allergies, I drop (eye), spray (nose) and pill every day. You can barely see the Strip from Sunrise Mountain because there is so much stuff in the air. It's a yucky thought to know we're breathing that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas