Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 19,499 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas has recently had an outrageous medical scare. Over 40,000 people (including me) have been possibly exposed to Hepatitis B, C, and HIV--from unsafe practices at several endoscopy centers. Of course, sexual partners are also at risk. This is huge! Needless to say, personal injury lawyers are having a heyday.

Anyway, the medical care in this city has always sucked.

any comment?? Have any other cities had similar situations? outcomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times
I heard this on the news. Pretty bad and now they are saying it can be much worse than what was reported in the early days of these reports.

Get tested and hope all is well.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Default Pass the grain of salt...

Go to any out patient surgical center in the US. Compare the number of incoming vials of anesthetic to the number of procedures done. Cross check with the vial serial numbers on the billing.

Betcha 50% or more of the clinics in the US.

But if you don't check we won't have to deal with that will we?

Too lucrative. Increase the profit on the procedure by more than 25%. I also suspect it could have been done safely...at least with respect to infection control.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,472,715 times
I remember a few years back there was a similiar situation on Long Island, some doctor was doing the same thing.

He lost his license and had to pay a fine or something, can't practice in NY anymore either.

Maybe he came here...

There's already a lengthy thread on this topic...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...re-feared.html

Old 03-19-2008, 12:10 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
I'm just glad I avoid doctors at all costs.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,919,071 times
It could have happened anywhere, and probably does.

My dad got one of those letters too.

We're optmistic though. So far they've only found a very small number of people to be infected.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I'm just glad I avoid doctors at all costs.
Well I periodically get into things where avoiding doctors does not work. I do however move heaven and earth to get out of the hospital immediately which I think has made my recovery very fast and generally trouble free. As soon as I can stand up I start hollering to get rid of the IVs and go home.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:13 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I had an appt to have that horrible medical procedure last fall at the very office that was first closed down. I never showed for my appt. They called me and hollered and tried to set a new appt. I said no.

I thank the universe every day I did not go to that appt. I would have been one of those 40,000 people getting letters saying I might have been exposed to HIV, HEP or whatever.

I hope they fry those Doctors but I know they will run free. Money talks. Just ask OJ.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I had an appt to have that horrible medical procedure last fall at the very office that was first closed down. I never showed for my appt. They called me and hollered and tried to set a new appt. I said no.

I thank the universe every day I did not go to that appt. I would have been one of those 40,000 people getting letters saying I might have been exposed to HIV, HEP or whatever.

I hope they fry those Doctors but I know they will run free. Money talks. Just ask OJ.
HOwever if you are due for a colonoscopy don't avoid it. Go for the scanner one if the more invasive procedure turns you off. My doctor prefers the invasive procedure in older folk because she almost always finds and removes a few polyps.

My first colonoscopy proved very exciting. When I finally left the hospital a week later there was a piece missing with some ugly stuff growing in it. Undoubtedly saved my life.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
HOwever if you are due for a colonoscopy don't avoid it. Go for the scanner one if the more invasive procedure turns you off. My doctor prefers the invasive procedure in older folk because she almost always finds and removes a few polyps.

My first colonoscopy proved very exciting. When I finally left the hospital a week later there was a piece missing with some ugly stuff growing in it. Undoubtedly saved my life.
Well I avoided saying the word but you knew what I meant. What is this scanner thing instead of the invasive procedure? I have to look into that. I bet it is not as accurate though.

The fear is what made me a no-show in the first place. Now Im really scared to go after all this.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas