Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:47 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times

Advertisements

Don't hate -

I'm glad we went to once a week. I recycle so much I was having to sneak my stuff into business office bins. (We were remodeling at that time too so I had LOTS of extra boxes.)

I have a large bin for recyclables and the smallest bin for trash. Hauling them out once a week is bad enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 11:29 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,440 times
My understanding is that they don't accept glass as well. Maybe because someone could get cut really bad. I also think only plastics labeled with a 1 or 2. There is a picture of what to recycle on the bin. Also it must be regional because in Florida, they took beer bottles which there were a lot of on the military base.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
We put glass in (unbroken glass only). We have the three bins and mix together whatever we have in them. When we had our house remodeled I was separating items and one of the workers told me to watch them as they collected that day. They picked up each carefully separated bin and tossed them all in the same place in the truck. Don't bother separating.

We place items that won't fit next to the bins and they pick them up as well.

Kudos to the collectors here for taking care of our recycle. And kudos to the garbage collectors as well. It's amazing what they will put in the trucks for us.

Waiting for the large bins. The only problem is we don't know where we will store them. No room in the garage, and nowhere to hide them outside. I don't think the space I made to stack the bins is large enough for one, let alone two.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:07 AM

294 posts, read 235,968 times
Yesterday in 89129 we put the black trash container and several small blue recycling containers out.
They only took the black container but left the blue ones with paper etc. Not sure what we did wrong?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:42 AM

561 posts, read 680,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2016 View Post
Yesterday in 89129 we put the black trash container and several small blue recycling containers out.
They only took the black container but left the blue ones with paper etc. Not sure what we did wrong?
Probably not recycling day. My trash pickup is every Monday/ Thursday, and Recycling is like the 1st and 3rd Thursdays. We don't recycle. We did when we had single stream, and will again, but I'm not messing around with small bins and irregular pickups.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
Probably not recycling day. My trash pickup is every Monday/ Thursday, and Recycling is like the 1st and 3rd Thursdays. We don't recycle. We did when we had single stream, and will again, but I'm not messing around with small bins and irregular pickups.

Try not separating and see if they pick up recycle. They do for us.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,056,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David56 View Post
I just moved to Henderson. So I just throw all acceptable recyclable materials into the Recycle bin? No separating one item type from another? No flattening and bundling corrugated cardboard? No requirement for using colorless transparent plastic bags? I read the links provided in this thread and there was a requirement for using different colored bins than the ones provided to me. There also seemed to be a requirement for separating glass and for placing cardboard in stacks outside the bins. Man, I hope it really is just throw it all in the bin!
It depends on what area you are in. Republic services started transitioning to single stream... so if you have the big blue recycling can on wheels, you just dump it all in there. If you have the old hand pickup service still with the red white and blue bins, you need to separate it.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
They do not accept glass. I hate that they will not take it and I do not like throwing them away to be stuck in landfills forever.
I never heard this... that said, when I first moved here, they never provided me the red white and blue bins everyone else had, so I just put it all in the trash. Since I have had the new bins (my recycling bin has a light blue top, and the garbage a dark blue top) I've been putting the glass in there. I haven't had any notice from Republic that I am doing it wrong....

Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We put glass in (unbroken glass only). We have the three bins and mix together whatever we have in them. When we had our house remodeled I was separating items and one of the workers told me to watch them as they collected that day. They picked up each carefully separated bin and tossed them all in the same place in the truck. Don't bother separating.

We place items that won't fit next to the bins and they pick them up as well.

Kudos to the collectors here for taking care of our recycle. And kudos to the garbage collectors as well. It's amazing what they will put in the trucks for us.

Waiting for the large bins. The only problem is we don't know where we will store them. No room in the garage, and nowhere to hide them outside. I don't think the space I made to stack the bins is large enough for one, let alone two.
Everyone here keeps the new ones outside now because they are so large, except for me and a couple of other people. Some have even stopped taking them from the curb(small lots... I can kinda understand ... the bins are BIG)

I found out a while ago that if the new bins are too large, you can actually request that they provide you with smaller size bins. I had to call in when they failed to pick up my trash one day for no reason, and after being chastised by the phone operator, I said well, maybe they didn't think anyone was living here because I only put the trash out once every 3 weeks now because the new bin is HUGE.

They gave everyone on our street what I can only imagine is the largest size they have that is not one of those mini-dumpsters, regardless of house size.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
The brochure they provided to us when we switched to two bins says glass bottles and glass jars are acceptable. We keep it on the fridge for reference.
I've never received a brochure or anything else indicating what is recyclable here. In fact, I never received any notice that we were switching to the new service... one day, 2 new large bins showed up in my driveway, and the trash wasn't picked up. Maybe we were a test zip code? I am in 89139....

The light blue one I think has a recycling symbol on top of it... so I've just been dumping anything I think looks recyclable in there... no idea what they actually take here. They've been picking it up every week with no problems. I do get 2 different trucks for pickup.

Is the recycling program here legit? Back east, in the DC area, we had "recycling", but when they came around, they were just dumping the recycle bin into the trash truck(and not separate bins, the same trash compactor style trash truck the rest of it was going into).

When I lived up north, the program was legit, and you had to separate everything out and stick it in a yellow bin. If they found anything that shouldn't be there (and sometimes spot checks were done) they wouldn't pick it up and they would put a big orange sticker on marking what you did wrong. Then again, you didn't pay for trash service explicitly it was property tax funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas