Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM

29 posts, read 167,916 times

Advertisements

Great - that sounds doable. I really didn't want to have to rule out Summerlin yet. I guess the best thing will be to actually do the drive in "real time" before we make a final decision. At least this helps steer us in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkd View Post
Hi everyone. I've been reading the posts on the Las Vegas forum for a couple of months in anticipation of a possible move. Now that the move has been finalized (well, as final as you can be with the military, that is...), we're starting to formulate a plan for house hunting.

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give!
15 to 20 minutes from Sunrise Manor, I would stay south of Owens Ave. otherwise airplanes may fly over your house.

Are looking to rent or buy?

North Las Vegas has expansive soil, and a pig farm. Find out where the pig farm is and check for cracks in the houses. If your looking in the area around Craig Road.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Planes and helicopters fly over everyone's houses here.
As for the pig farm in NLV, it's one small area, not the entire city.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Sunrise Manor is for the very well off or locally knowledgable. It is not a simple area and the schools are difficult.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM

59 posts, read 261,882 times
Another factor in your decision is whether you have kids and want them in safe, good schools. For instance, there are some decent houses in the 89081 area and close to base, but I wouldn't want my kids going to school there. If you have kids in school I'd look further west or in Henderson.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,014 times
Henderson isn't really a bad commute. For giggles I drove from my house far out in SE Henderson to nellis. I took 95 to nellis and nellis to the base and it was 20 minutes. I'd never gone that way before. You just have some shady areas to drive through.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:51 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski21 View Post
Henderson isn't really a bad commute. For giggles I drove from my house far out in SE Henderson to nellis. I took 95 to nellis and nellis to the base and it was 20 minutes. I'd never gone that way before. You just have some shady areas to drive through.

When? The problem is generally when you are off the 95. Getting through Nellis or parallels can take a long time in the rush hours.

By distance it is easily doable in 20 minutes. But during peak traffic?

Off peak you can do it from almost anywhere but the SW.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 PM

697 posts, read 3,279,014 times
I guess it was off peak. About 10 this morning. I did it while on my way to the dunes to ride. So I guess it can be a chore during peak times.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM

29 posts, read 167,916 times
Sorry - you all got ahead of me since I couldn't log on last night.

We'll be moving this September, and hope to purchase a house between June and September. My husband will be retiring from the Air Force after our 3 year assignment, and we'd like to stay in Las Vegas after that. For that reason, we don't feel nervous about buying rather than renting. And, our daughter will be 4 when we move, so schools will be a consideration.

We've been very spoiled over the past few years to live in areas that afforded us a lot of personal space and privacy. It will be a big shock for us to have to live in a house that has neighbors within mere feet of us. I've been looking for areas that might allow a little bit of buffer space - like houses on greenbelts or golf courses - but our budget is <$400k, so that will be a challenge. There are a lot of pieces to this puzzle, and the more I can figure out in advance, the better!

So...any further advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated from all of you experts out there! Thanks!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Planes and helicopters fly over everyone's houses here.
As for the pig farm in NLV, it's one small area, not the entire city.
I was referring to Air Force planes, and the pig farm was in connection with Craig Road. I know the whole city isn't a pig farm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas