Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:26 PM

19 posts, read 48,068 times

Advertisements

We are starting the process of moving...its looking like Henderson is at the top of the list.
We are a young family, early 30s with 4 small kids. My husband will be working at UNLV or Nevada State in IT.
I'm most interested in an area thats part of a good school district, has a nearby park, family friendly, sports programs (probably pretty typical family "wants" lol)

I think our budget will be about $500,000. I'm ok with an HOA if that gives me more options. I'd like a pool in our backyard vs a community pool. Minimum 4bd. We'd love an area that would allow us to ride our bikes around the neighborhood and/or to the kids' school!

We are a liberal family, not super religious (but fine living around people that are lol) We are a mixed race family. All this to say, I'm open to hear experiences of those that live in Henderson and if our lifestyle would raise any major problems.

I'm from Southern Cali, my husband is from Texas. We currently live in Michigan, and I love it here, but I'm over the long winters. From what I've read and heard about Henderson, I get the idea that its a pretty family friendly area, with newer homes (1990 and newer) Cost of living is much better than So Cal. And the majority I've talked to or heard from really like Henderson. Along with the perks of entertainment from LV and living by an international airport.

I have been searching Zillow and other real estate websites to get an idea of homes, but wondering which areas or neighborhoods I should focus on that might be a good fit for my family.
We may rent for the first year so get a better idea, but came here as a first shot. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 01:41 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,504 times
Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas! Start by reading the sticky at the top of the forum.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:55 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times
Check out zip code 89052 Seven Hills area. Grade school Elise Wolff one of the best in the area. Also many paved bike/walking trails that start right from the neighborhood. Well worth a look. Has multiple parks within the development.

Last edited by Packrat1; 06-04-2017 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Edit

Old 06-04-2017, 01:56 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseylatelyyy View Post
We are starting the process of moving...its looking like Henderson is at the top of the list.
We are a young family, early 30s with 4 small kids. My husband will be working at UNLV or Nevada State in IT.
I'm most interested in an area thats part of a good school district, has a nearby park, family friendly, sports programs (probably pretty typical family "wants" lol)

I think our budget will be about $500,000. I'm ok with an HOA if that gives me more options. I'd like a pool in our backyard vs a community pool. Minimum 4bd. We'd love an area that would allow us to ride our bikes around the neighborhood and/or to the kids' school!

We are a liberal family, not super religious (but fine living around people that are lol) We are a mixed race family. All this to say, I'm open to hear experiences of those that live in Henderson and if our lifestyle would raise any major problems.

I'm from Southern Cali, my husband is from Texas. We currently live in Michigan, and I love it here, but I'm over the long winters. From what I've read and heard about Henderson, I get the idea that its a pretty family friendly area, with newer homes (1990 and newer) Cost of living is much better than So Cal. And the majority I've talked to or heard from really like Henderson. Along with the perks of entertainment from LV and living by an international airport.

I have been searching Zillow and other real estate websites to get an idea of homes, but wondering which areas or neighborhoods I should focus on that might be a good fit for my family.
We may rent for the first year so get a better idea, but came here as a first shot. Thanks!!
Obvious place is anywhere in the Coronado High School District. Use that as a search criteria in any of the better web sites. The most obvious neighborhood is Green Valley Ranch whose twin grade schools are generally in the top five and are often number 1. Those neighborhoods also fit what you are looking for almost exactly. However there is a problem. The twins Twitchell and Vanderburg are heavily overloaded and are on a 12 month schedule. So you should take a good look and see if that is worth the hassle it will entail. And virtually any of the elementary or middle schools in the Coronado district will work.
The other high school worth considering is Green Valley which is in the mildly older portion of Henderson. Again the elementary and middle schools in that high school district will be OK but stick to the more southern ones.
Renting for a year is popular but a little risky in the present market. It may well be that, if present trends continue, the market will be up 10% or more in a year. You will also find a much narrower set of homes in that class for renting then for sale.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Check out Toll Bros. new houses in Inspirada area of Henderson
I suggest working with a reputable real estate agent.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...93_rect/15_zm/

Old 06-07-2017, 01:24 PM

295 posts, read 362,383 times
For your budget plenty of options in Anthem/Sevenhills area with good school districts, check zip codes 89052 and 89044. If you don't mind guard gated community check Anthem Country Club, you will get a nice house for 500k.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 PM

848 posts, read 647,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
For your budget plenty of options in Anthem/Sevenhills area with good school districts, check zip codes 89052 and 89044. If you don't mind guard gated community check Anthem Country Club, you will get a nice house for 500k.
I would also suggest the zip codes you recommended. However, the cheapest active listing for a four bedroom home I could find in Anthem Country Club had an asking price of $585,000.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 PM

11 posts, read 17,479 times
Welcome! You'll like it here; everyone's 3 least favorite things are June, July and August, but I promise you'll never have to go outside to shovel the heat. What I like: October thru May, bike trails and bike lanes are everywhere here, along with excellent parks and recreation centers. Lots of unpaved trails for hiking literally in our back yard, and a very family friendly place all around. At 500k you'll have your pick of places to live (for now), but do yourself a favor and don't get suckered into a new build with no yard, and I mean NO yard, and 3 feet between homes; seems like all the new developments are just that and all inhabited by SoCal transplants. I understand that a 400-450k 4/5 bedroom new build is a great deal to someone from LA or other major city, but you are getting absolutely rooked by NV standards. Do NOT buy at the Cadence development in Henderson, it's built on top of an industrial waste dump. That being said, Green Valley is the more upscale part of Henderson, along with the sub developments of Inspirada and Seven Hills and the parts of Anthem that aren't 55+. The only area I'd stay away from in Henderson proper is along Boulder Highway north of Lake Mead Parkway due to high crime, but I doubt any realtor would show you around there at your budget.

Last edited by Czero; 08-02-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 08-06-2017, 02:23 PM

110 posts, read 104,451 times
You will find much better deals in the NW area and it is less congested.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:39 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,588,152 times
Check spotcrime app on iphone or android no matter where you look. The data is very up to date more so than crimemapping in my opinion. You can plug in addresses and see what is happening on your block. Might find a great development but around the house you are looking at is particularly bad.

City of Henderson's crime search website is also a good one. One note though it defaults to the last 30 days which isn't a big enough picture. Once you plug in the address before you hit submit hit Data and change the dates to a wider range. After hitting submit change the Search distance to either 1/2 mile or 1/4 mile to see what is actually going on in your neighborhood. Then tap export list. I have found it works better using an Iphone vs computer for quick lookup.

Last edited by Packrat1; 08-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: