Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:15 PM

654 posts, read 1,327,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post
#1 I don't eat that much...

#2 When I have eaten in Las Vegas --- I've had Chinese, Thai Food, some burgers and subs (a year ago)

#3 My observation has been that that the food prices were about 10% higher...

I didn't conduct a scientific research.. it was just a casual observation as I went out to eat....

I 'ASSUMED' prices would be lower, since the cost of living in Vegas is lower.. but I observed prices were slightly higher...
So, basically you don't eat out that much (#1) & when you do it's limited food selection (#2) & your opinion is that the food prices are higher (#3) even tho you haven't substantiated it. You've got a number of people here stating otherwise & you've haven't provided evidence to the contrary. Can you see where there might be a disconnect? "Hey guys, I don't eat out much & when I do it's limited food selection, but it's more expensive to eat out in Las Vegas than Orange County. Take my word for it. Now that I haven't established my thesis, why do you think the prices are higher?"

I gave you a specific example (as did Merry Lee Gather) of how the cost of living here can be lower with eating out if you do some strategic planning. I'm sure many others could do the same. One can live very affordably here with the proper approach.

You know what gets said when you 'ASSUME' things ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 PM

110 posts, read 134,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
So, basically you don't eat out that much (#1) & when you do it's limited food selection (#2) & your opinion is that the food prices are higher (#3) even tho you haven't substantiated it. You've got a number of people here stating otherwise & you've haven't provided evidence to the contrary. Can you see where there might be a disconnect? "Hey guys, I don't eat out much & when I do it's limited food selection, but it's more expensive to eat out in Las Vegas than Orange County. Take my word for it. Now that I haven't established my thesis, why do you think the prices are higher?"

I gave you a specific example (as did Merry Lee Gather) of how the cost of living here can be lower with eating out if you do some strategic planning. I'm sure many others could do the same. One can live very affordably here with the proper approach.

You know what gets said when you 'ASSUME' things ...
I don't have a large sample set...

But the samples I have collected... show me that restaurant prices are 10% to 15% higher in Vegas...

Again... that's my personal experience...

I'm not denying or refuting anyone... Just sharing "my experience" and observation.

Have you been to LA/OC to even compare?

Old 05-31-2017, 08:57 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,575,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisSuarez View Post
Las Vegas residents have a lot more disposable income. The restaurants charge what they can get away with.
If they did, they wouldn't be living in Las Vegas then, right??????? (burn!!!!!!)

Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 PM

12,909 posts, read 28,097,282 times
Quote:
I don't have a large sample set...

But the samples I have collected... show me that restaurant prices are 10% to 15% higher in Vegas...

Again... that's my personal experience...

I'm not denying or refuting anyone... Just sharing "my experience" and observation.

Have you been to LA/OC to even compare?
i have LA/OC are definitely higher

Old 06-01-2017, 12:43 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,300,903 times
I love it. "Here's anecdotal evidence. Now prove my point for me."

Old 06-01-2017, 09:19 AM

209 posts, read 265,935 times
Quote:
Funny...

I have no idea why you guys are ganging up on me....

I'm just making an observation about restaurant food prices in Vegas vs LA/OC...

No need to HATE on "California"....

I'm no big fan of Cali either.. but do notice that casual dining prices outside the strip seem to be higher than LA/OC..

Just my personal observation....
Don't take it personally. People in this forum generally hate on California, even when they say they don't. There are many reasons such as they are moving here and overcrowding the area, they can't drive, they feel entitled blah blah. The irony is that so much of the economic health in LV is completely dependent on CA citizens visiting/moving here.

As to your original post, it's my experience that LV is more expensive than OC in the majority of categories. I have property in both locations so I have a lot of comparisons. I currently live in my LV home and everything costs the same or more here...electricity, water, tv, internet, restaurants, my car insurance, car registration, trash/sewer. Gasoline and cigarettes are a tad bit cheaper in LV. However, there are more outlets to find cheap prices/deals in LV than in OC. If you put in the research you can plot out where to get super cheap buffets, where to get the lowest gas price, who sells the cheapest beer etc., but who has that kind of time? My personal experience is that the whole LV has a "lower cost of living" statement is a fallacy. The only cost of living difference is the lower cost of a home and the lower property taxes.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
Don't take it personally. People in this forum generally hate on California, even when they say they don't. There are many reasons such as they are moving here and overcrowding the area, they can't drive, they feel entitled blah blah. The irony is that so much of the economic health in LV is completely dependent on CA citizens visiting/moving here.

As to your original post, it's my experience that LV is more expensive than OC in the majority of categories. I have property in both locations so I have a lot of comparisons. I currently live in my LV home and everything costs the same or more here...electricity, water, tv, internet, restaurants, my car insurance, car registration, trash/sewer. Gasoline and cigarettes are a tad bit cheaper in LV. However, there are more outlets to find cheap prices/deals in LV than in OC. If you put in the research you can plot out where to get super cheap buffets, where to get the lowest gas price, who sells the cheapest beer etc., but who has that kind of time? My personal experience is that the whole LV has a "lower cost of living" statement is a fallacy. The only cost of living difference is the lower cost of a home and the lower property taxes.

Thank you... My experience and observation mirrors yours.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:50 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,448,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post

Sorry but both of you are hopelessly wrong. There is a huge differential in housing costs but virtually everything else is cheaper in Las Vegas as well.z
Nerdwallet cost of living calculator puts the overall difference at 43% with all expense categories favoring LV.
I came from OC and continue to visit and fol!ow the area. You are so far wroong your position is indefensible.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Sorry but both of you are hopelessly wrong. There is a huge differential in housing costs but virtually everything else is cheaper in Las Vegas as well.z
Nerdwallet cost of living calculator puts the overall difference at 43% with all expense categories favoring LV.
I came from OC and continue to visit and fol!ow the area. You are so far wroong your position is indefensible.

I wish you were right...

and I've been hoping to observe the same thing...

But from my experience in Vegas (off the strip), prices seem the same or actually higher...

Perhaps the high food prices on the strip, carries over.. to off the strip...

...... and that's a real bummer......

(my humble observation)

Old 06-01-2017, 05:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,448,063 times
Quote:
I wish you were right...

and I've been hoping to observe the same thing...

But from my experience in Vegas (off the strip), prices seem the same or actually higher...

Perhaps the high food prices on the strip, carries over.. to off the strip...

...... and that's a real bummer......

(my humble observation)
Nerdwallet CofL OC versus LV at $50,000.

Housing costs 55% less in Las Vegas, NV
Transportation costs 13% less in Las Vegas, NV
Food costs 5% less in Las Vegas, NV

Other references place the cost of utilities in OC at 110% of US Average those in Las Vegas at 90% of the US average.

You are simply so wrong your position is hopeless.

And all that is before the CA income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas