Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM

53 posts, read 73,566 times

Advertisements

EA I had Bojangles for lunch today In 1.5 years we will be trading Bojangles & the Waffle House for Nevada residence... Gonna miss the Bo......

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I am doing a lot better here than I was in NC or FL. I like that I can go outside and enjoy it most of the year. I like that I can make enough money at work to pay my bills. There's always something to do. Most of the time there's too many things to do. We have pretty much everything here. If we get a Bojangles and Wafflehouse my life will be complete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM

455 posts, read 654,319 times
[quote=clutchcargo777;47386947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Other places change but not nearly so drastically. There was always a very Vegas way of doing things that is gone.

Once again, it's relative. My hometown is Nashville, TN and I also lived in Charleston, SC in the early - mid 70's. Both places are radically different today from what they were in my youth. The primary difference between western cities and eastern cities over the past several decades is population growth, but both regions have experienced significant cultural changes...

Old 03-03-2017, 01:21 PM

455 posts, read 654,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
We have pretty much everything here. If we get a Bojangles and Wafflehouse my life will be complete.

That's sorta like people in Vegas being thrilled about Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel, lol.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,080,507 times
Most of my life I lived in sort of rural areas that were so boring you had to check your pulse to see if you were still alive. Unless you were mowing or shoveling snow. Then you knew. I was tired of the inconvenience of it too. Nothing is handy or close. And after a 2 hour a day commute, you never wanted to go anywhere or do anything, even on your days off. Of course it didn't help that it was zero degrees half the year either.

Yes, it's too hot here for 3 months. But you don't shovel hot or have to scrape it off the windshield. But there is always something to do and everything you could ever want is here. And most of the year, the weather is close to perfect. This is a great place to live.

If I could change one thing, I would want people to be paid a living wage. Full time jobs, with benefits. Too many people have to work too hard to be able to stay here. Anyone willing to work should make enough money to afford an efficiency apartment, utilities, food, health insurance, clothes from the thrift store, and a bus pass! That's not extravagant, it's just a basic existence.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
That's sorta like people in Vegas being thrilled about Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel, lol.

I hate Cracker Barrel, but I am so happy Chick Fil A is here.

I like Wafflehouse because it's cheap and quick and tasty. It's hard to screw up eggs and toast.

I like Bojangles because the chicken is just spicy enough

Also, I am white trash, so...

Old 03-03-2017, 03:48 PM

469 posts, read 495,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I could change one thing, I would want people to be paid a living wage. Full time jobs, with benefits. Too many people have to work too hard to be able to stay here. Anyone willing to work should make enough money to afford an efficiency apartment, utilities, food, health insurance, clothes from the thrift store, and a bus pass! That's not extravagant, it's just a basic existence.
+1 x Infinitie

Been here for almost 2 years and Vegas is the definition of addicted to paying Slave wages.

+ I'm a Combat Veteran for hire.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:52 PM
EA

Health insurance is insane. I make above the median wage and I can't afford to buy it let alone use it. But I agree that anyone working should be able to afford life in the city they occupy.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:13 PM

209 posts, read 264,705 times
and right on cue, any positive discussion about living in Las Vegas quickly turns into discussion about how there are no jobs, jobs don't pay squat, health insurance is a joke in Nevada, the schools suck, etc. etc. I truly wonder how happy people really are. The internet tends to bring out the worst in people, so maybe that's it? haha. If all these problems exist then why does everyone stay?

Old 03-03-2017, 04:30 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabtrees View Post
and right on cue, any positive discussion about living in Las Vegas quickly turns into discussion about how there are no jobs, jobs don't pay squat, health insurance is a joke in Nevada, the schools suck, etc. etc. I truly wonder how happy people really are. The internet tends to bring out the worst in people, so maybe that's it? haha. If all these problems exist then why does everyone stay?
It is also not true. LV actually pays pretty well. There are segments which can be dismal...IT for example. Or many of the administrative assistant kind of jobs. But there are lots of bartenders and such who do very well. And the hotel workers on the strip are paid very well by the standards of that industry.

And yes it has some bad schools. But it also has very good ones. Its overall score is about par for any large school district with a high minority population. It is, for instance, better than LA or NYC.

NV often score badly on education and such because it is one of the most urban cities in the US. It basically consists of one big city and one small city and not much else. If however LV is compared to other large cities it looks much better. Not great but remarkably average.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:31 PM
EA

Healthcare is a national issue, not a Las Vegas issue. We'll encounter that no matter where we move.
There are plenty of jobs, some pay very well, some pay crap.
Schools are a national issue. They suck all over the country, see first point.

I am pretty happy here as I already stated but to pretend there aren't issues is just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas