Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:40 AM

472 posts, read 379,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
Old timers everywhere say that, not just in Vegas. It's part of being an old timer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
It really depends on where you came from and how long you've been here.

Newish transplant from California or NE? You don't have a frame of reference to judge it by. Old timers remember how great it was and how far it's degraded.

If you come from a place where the beatings are twice a day and now that you are here they are only once a day...
We left Long Island near the Hamptons for the very same reason. Commercialization of everything, cidiots invading from Manhattan like locust, congestion. My favorite Billy Joel quote summed it up.."There aint no island left for Islanders like me". I had to leave.

I believe many see Las vegas as degraded in many ways from a small town perspective, but I see it as a birth of a modern city in the American west. But hey I'm new here and have a new outlook on my future in Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:43 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,527,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumaboy View Post
That's sorta like people in Vegas being thrilled about Chick-Fil-A and Cracker Barrel, lol.
Oh I love Cracker Barrel - good midwest chow

DH and I are 'fancy' diners, people that enjoy a great expensive meal but don't feel the need to pick apart how the water took too long to fill our water etc. Like Guy Savoy etc. But you can't eat fancy all the time.

We are waiting for a Waffle House. Some of the most restaurant fun I've had is in the Waffle House.

We are getting a Metro Diner, west side on Trop. Think its out of NJ.

Love that gas fireplace guy. Can't beat a recommendation from SW gas as your marketing person.

New comers came in 80' and 90's and brought the trees from home. Now there are rules against this and trees are dying. Why do you think we have Mulberrys here. They are not native.

We do need more restaurants from other places. That seems to be a booming area of importing right now.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:52 AM

8,422 posts, read 4,593,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Only gaming places we have been in for the last six months are the local pubs and supermarkets. Have not bet a dollar in longer than that. The vast majority of Las Vegans are that way though there are some who thrive on bingo or video poker.
So, how long have you lived here?

Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
So, how long have you lived here?
21 years. Been selling RE here for 16 years which provides much of our exposure to the population.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:11 PM

621 posts, read 539,419 times
I'm a recent transplant, but I get up in the morning and go to work with generally sunny skies and beautiful mountains surrounding the valley and I don't miss a thing (besides family) from where I came from. When I drive home at night and see the desert skies I am thankful for having been able to move here while I'm relatively young still. I'm glad I didn't wait to retire.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,487,803 times
I love living in Vegas. Was born and raised here, moved away for 10 years and just came back two weeks ago. Love the big city rush and 24/7 liveliness and entertainment options. Got over a $30/hr pay raise moving across the state line from a neighboring state. Love how diverse the city is culturally, racially, etc.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:52 PM

32,983 posts, read 36,491,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Oh I love Cracker Barrel - good midwest chow

DH and I are 'fancy' diners, people that enjoy a great expensive meal but don't feel the need to pick apart how the water took too long to fill our water etc. Like Guy Savoy etc. But you can't eat fancy all the time.

We are waiting for a Waffle House. Some of the most restaurant fun I've had is in the Waffle House.

We are getting a Metro Diner, west side on Trop. Think its out of NJ.

Love that gas fireplace guy. Can't beat a recommendation from SW gas as your marketing person.
Metro Diner is from Florida.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:08 PM

23,270 posts, read 29,128,134 times
I put as much weight on polls as I do the extremely deceptive unemployment rate! The aim of most polls like this is window dressing, to make this "L.A. Suburb" feel good about itself

How many of the bus riders did they poll, the homeless on Main & Owens, the severely underpaid, or those residing at the Clark County Detention Center, or those who wish they could get the hell out of here and don't have the funds to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas