Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,077,641 times

Advertisements

Great time of year to move here! Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 PM

621 posts, read 539,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
About 3 years ago we decided to move to Vegas but the thought of quitting our jobs and moving with no idea of whether we would find work was just to unrealistic for us so we stayed put in PA. I started a new job a year ago which allows me to work at home so we thought maybe the time was right.

In May we took our vacation and spent a couple days looking at apartments. We found something we liked in Henderson on W. Warm Springs Rd, came home and put the house up for sale in June and as of next week we will be residents of Henderson, NV! My God it all went so fast! I take that as it is meant to be

We are beyond excited to start this new adventure! We will be driving from PA to NV because we have a dog and I couldn't bring myself to put her in a plane. She would be terrified.

My husband will be looking for work but with me working from home, we will be fine even if it takes awhile for him to find work. He's been a dispatcher for an HVAC company for 20 years so I don't think he will have any trouble finding something.

We will rent for a year just to adjust to the area and see what area we want to live in, do we want a house or a condo, or maybe just continue to rent. Plenty of time to figure that out.

So I just wanted to say HI and warn you all that I will probably be bombarding you with questions over the next few months!

I've been reading all of your posts for the last few months and appreciate all the information shared here!
Congrats! I am relocating in a couple weeks as well. Driving from western NY. I think I want to rent for a while as well to kind of figure out if/where to buy.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM

236 posts, read 406,832 times
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! My husband had his last day of work today and couldn't wait to end his day. He's officially a stay at home dad for our dog

We hit the road on Saturday morning and if all goes well we will arrive in Henderson on Tuesday early afternoon. Emptying that ABF Cube will be an adventure in itself. We crammed everything we could in every square inch of that thing. Clothing stuffed in between everything

Once unpacked we have to look for furniture. Our living room and bedroom sets we left behind. To old to bother moving so we need to replace that. I want to set up the 2nd bedroom as my office / spare bedroom so I was thinking of a futon which will double as a couch and a bed. So many things to get done!

Colleens will be our first stop then check out Craigslist and maybe Ikea. Any other suggestions for furniture?

Henderson here we come!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:48 PM

66 posts, read 65,114 times
I'm a huge IKEA fan, but we got much nicer couches at Big's Furniture and Walker's.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,155,560 times
Craigslist..so many people always moving out of town we found couches and outdoor sets in 1 day

Total cost about $500... for some very nice stuff !

Old 09-15-2016, 09:24 AM

238 posts, read 549,088 times
Quote:
About 3 years ago we decided to move to Vegas but the thought of quitting our jobs and moving with no idea of whether we would find work was just to unrealistic for us so we stayed put in PA. I started a new job a year ago which allows me to work at home so we thought maybe the time was right.

In May we took our vacation and spent a couple days looking at apartments. We found something we liked in Henderson on W. Warm Springs Rd, came home and put the house up for sale in June and as of next week we will be residents of Henderson, NV! My God it all went so fast! I take that as it is meant to be

We are beyond excited to start this new adventure! We will be driving from PA to NV because we have a dog and I couldn't bring myself to put her in a plane. She would be terrified.

My husband will be looking for work but with me working from home, we will be fine even if it takes awhile for him to find work. He's been a dispatcher for an HVAC company for 20 years so I don't think he will have any trouble finding something.

We will rent for a year just to adjust to the area and see what area we want to live in, do we want a house or a condo, or maybe just continue to rent. Plenty of time to figure that out.

So I just wanted to say HI and warn you all that I will probably be bombarding you with questions over the next few months!

I've been reading all of your posts for the last few months and appreciate all the information shared here!
Congrats!!!!! I'm in NJ and will be moving to Las Vegas early next year if all goes well. I was hoping not to spend another winter on the east coast.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:27 PM

621 posts, read 539,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamDeleted View Post
Congrats!!!!! I'm in NJ and will be moving to Las Vegas early next year if all goes well. I was hoping not to spend another winter on the east coast.
I'm so happy I managed to get out before I had to spend another winter in Western NY.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:49 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,692 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! My husband had his last day of work today and couldn't wait to end his day. He's officially a stay at home dad for our dog

We hit the road on Saturday morning and if all goes well we will arrive in Henderson on Tuesday early afternoon. Emptying that ABF Cube will be an adventure in itself. We crammed everything we could in every square inch of that thing. Clothing stuffed in between everything

Once unpacked we have to look for furniture. Our living room and bedroom sets we left behind. To old to bother moving so we need to replace that. I want to set up the 2nd bedroom as my office / spare bedroom so I was thinking of a futon which will double as a couch and a bed. So many things to get done!

Colleens will be our first stop then check out Craigslist and maybe Ikea. Any other suggestions for furniture?

Henderson here we come!
Join the Henderson Yard Sale and Henderson High End Yard Sale groups on Facebook. Lots of great furniture for sale! Welcome to Henderson!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:15 PM

103 posts, read 120,506 times
Welcome! My husband and I moved here almost five years ago and haven't regretted it at all. I hope you will be very happy here.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:36 PM

414 posts, read 360,740 times
In the same boat. My husband and I are leaving NJ and arriving in Vegas on Thursday. We'll be renting in Summerlin while we scope out the area. We might not stay long-term anyway - we can both work from home for our jobs in software, but if one of us gets laid off or needs to make change then we likely wouldn't find jobs that pay as much in Vegas. For now, we're taking advantage of the flexibility our jobs offer and we can kiss our $9k a year property tax bill on our former townhouse and NJ's state income tax goodbye.

We lucked out and the buyers of our home in NJ wanted most of our (crappy) furniture, so we'll also be searching for some new items. I'm fine with used, but nervous about bed bugs. They are a big problem in the NY metro area and it sounds as if the problem is throughout the country. I'm also open to additional furniture suggestions.

Good luck with the moved to Henderson - the only reason we chose Summerlin over Henderson is access to Red Rock Canyon, which will be my playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas