Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:27 PM

799 posts, read 710,194 times

Advertisements

Don't the dealers also add a "non-negotiable" $500 transaction fee on the back end here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times
yep and its not on the backend.. its the standard doc fee

Old 07-17-2016, 03:21 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,816,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Do not buy a car at the showroom. Do everything via e-mail and internet chat.

I bought a Honda and took $4800 off MSRP. I also negotiated for the dealer to pay registration fee around $400 and 2 years of oil changes.
I couldn't find any dealers willing to give me hard quotes via email, they all wanted me to come in

any tips? or could you possibly pm me an email address or addresses where you've had success?

Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times
It's not a "doc fee" it's just a straight tack on. I consider a "doc fee" to be a third party fee, usually to the DMV. IE registration/title. Anything else is bull$hit.

The first thing you should do on starting the negotiation is stating up front and directly that the only fees they you'll agree to are tax, title, and registration. They need to include everything else in the negotiated price and that is the final price. If they try to stick in any other crap at the end of the deal you'll walk (and if they do, do.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
yep and its not on the backend.. its the standard doc fee

Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,913,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
It's not a "doc fee" it's just a straight tack on. I consider a "doc fee" to be a third party fee, usually to the DMV. IE registration/title. Anything else is bull$hit.

The first thing you should do on starting the negotiation is stating up front and directly that the only fees they you'll agree to are tax, title, and registration. They need to include everything else in the negotiated price and that is the final price. If they try to stick in any other crap at the end of the deal you'll walk (and if they do, do.)
My wife wanted a specific model, color, optioned Honda CRV. I sent (email) this information to quite a few dealerships in California ( when we lived there) and requested an out the door price. The dealer in El Monte, with the lower quote, tried to add on charges. After explaining the meaning of "out the door price" we left to meet with the second lowest priced dealer in Van Nuys. They kept their word on pricing. We left very happy.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:00 PM

529 posts, read 513,320 times
A dealership we just bought a car at tried to sneak in a $299 insurance policy into the closing where it pays $3k if your car is stolen and not recovered in the next 5 years. What a deal (for them)! Findlay tried to sell a demo for more than a competitor was selling an identical brand new car on its website. FWIW I was able to get $1,800 below the Truecars.com price so don't settle on that.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,683,315 times
Known exactly what it costs nationwide using Edmunds and TrueCar with different zip codes and fake e-mails and google voice number.

With that information, give a low ball offer. Yes, you will be pleasantly surprise they will accept it. In the end, dealers make more money being a volume dealer. They get massive bonuses being a top 5 regional volume seller.

Say, I am ready to buy and I will come in and seal the deal. Make sure they commit via e-mail.

Sample E-mail:

Dear Sir, I am offering $####.# for Vehicle Model X with no additional factory options. I am also looking at an offer from another dealer who is including registration fees and 2 year oil change.

If you agree to this, I will come in immediately.

That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
I couldn't find any dealers willing to give me hard quotes via email, they all wanted me to come in

any tips? or could you possibly pm me an email address or addresses where you've had success?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

no it is a doc fee. "paperwork".. and its not by a 3rd party. some states have laws on how much they can charge.. eg.. ohio is $200... nevada does not have a limit.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:04 PM

654 posts, read 1,324,835 times
Curiously, Findlay just sent me one of those "We want to buy your used car" letters. They claim they're willing to offer $1,000 more than Blue Book trade-in value (which I'm sure would get nickel-and-dimed down once I got there).

Out of curiosity, I looked up my car's trade-in value (private party sale would be much higher, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples). Using Kelley Blue Book value @ Kelley Blue Book - New and Used Car Price Values, Expert Car Reviews , the number I get for dealer trade-in value is well above their 'generous' offer of $1,000 more than Blue Book trade-in value. What a surprise!

No thanks, Findlay. I love my car, know its entire history & it still runs like new - plus, it has the best feature of any car, it's owned free & clear! 7 1/2 years & I've had to replace the battery & put on a new set of tires - that's it! (I do full synthetic oil changes myself & installed a K&N air filter.) Why would I want to take Findlay's lowball offer? Trying to decide if I should burn the time to do a test drive for the free Visa Reward Card they are offering ...

Old 07-19-2016, 03:16 PM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times
This is the auto dealer equivalent of the resort fee. The just HAVE TO charge it. Thet try to sneak it in on the back end, so that they think they have you hooked and you'll give up. Throw it right in their face before starting the negotiation, and tell them straight up and down that your walk if they try to impose it after you've worked a price, and as often as not, they'll give it up.

The last car deal I worked they did this. It was for my sister in FL. She needed the car immediately, and essentially had to drive across FL to get the deal done, so I wasn't dealing from a huge position of strength (I couldn't really walk.) But after a bit of a yelling match on the dealership floor, I got half of it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no it is a doc fee. "paperwork".. and its not by a 3rd party. some states have laws on how much they can charge.. eg.. ohio is $200... nevada does not have a limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: