Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:28 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,149,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And that's the problem with drivers in Nevada....they aren't Nevadans. There are so many people here from states with all kinds of different rules, they should have to take lessons on how to drive here before they can have a Nevada license.
So that's the excuse? What U.S. state allows you to keep driving while an emergency vehicle with siren on and lights on code overtakes you? And of course every state will say that you have to pull over to the side and stop if and only if it is safe to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 03:39 PM

85 posts, read 63,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Still can't find it.
Forum is not allowing my links to show up.

Here is what http://www.legalmatch .com/law-library/article/common-causes-of-car-accidents.html

(copy above web address, paste into address bar, remove the space between legalmatch and .com, press enter.)

What Is the Leading Cause of Car Accidents?

The majority of car accidents are caused by irresponsible driving behavior. Statistics also show that 98 % of car accidents involve a single distracted driver. Some common causes include:

Rubbernecking: Drivers slowing down their cars to watch what is going on
Cell phones: Drivers using their commute time to make phone calls
Driver fatigue
Passenger distractions
Looking at scenery
Adjusting the radio

- See more at: Common Causes of Car Accidents | LegalMatch Law Library

Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,362,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
A police car, a fire truck and an ambulance all reach a 4 way stop at the same exact moment while traveling in different directions. At the same time, from the 4th direction, a US Mail delivery truck arrives at the same moment as the others.

Who (by law) has the right of way?
This was once a question many, many years ago on a game show, and at that time, and I mean it was many, many, many years ago ...it was the mail truck. The answer then was the mail truck affects more people. I doubt it is the same idea today. In fact the mail truck would get a ticket, I'm sure, if he didn't get out of the way.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
A. Keep texting until you can safely hit send.

B. Tell the person you're talking to on your cell that you may have to hang up, but I'm listening anyway.

C. If the fire engine or ambulance has room to pass, keep going at the speed limit.

D. Look to see if anyone else cares.

E. Drive to the right side of the road and stop until the emergency vehicle has passed.

Not one person could answer this question correctly just a few minutes ago on Lake Mead Parkway just east of South Boulder Highway. Las Vegas? Same thing. Par for the course when you learn how to drive from your friends. I guess you could add F. Make sure it isn't lunch time and that they aren't trying to get ahead of you to the burger king drive through.
NRS 484B.267  Operation of vehicle on approach of authorized emergency vehicle or official vehicle of regulatory agency.  Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle or an official vehicle of a regulatory agency, making use of flashing lights meeting the requirements of subsection 3 of NRS 484A.480, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of a highway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle or official vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1495; A 1985, 26; 1993, 1445; 1995, 577)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.323)

Old 04-04-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post
nrs 484b.267  operation of vehicle on approach of authorized emergency vehicle or official vehicle of regulatory agency.  upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle or an official vehicle of a regulatory agency, making use of flashing lights meeting the requirements of subsection 3 of nrs 484a.480, the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of a highway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle or official vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

(added to nrs by 1969, 1495; a 1985, 26; 1993, 1445; 1995, 577)—(substituted in revision for nrs 484.323)
e.

NRS 484B.267 Operation of vehicle on approach of authorized emergency vehicle or official vehicle of regulatory agency.

related:

NRS 484A.480 Designation of authorized emergency vehicles; equipment; limitations on use of warning devices.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Common Causes of Car Accidents | LegalMatch Law Library

Old 04-04-2016, 06:02 PM

^ I agree with lookie lous causing the most accidents, but I do not see the tie in with obeying the law and pulling over if safe to do so and stopping to let an emergency vehicle pass.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
^ I agree with lookie lous causing the most accidents, but I do not see the tie in with obeying the law and pulling over if safe to do so and stopping to let an emergency vehicle pass.

If you are traveling north, and the ambulance is traveling south, and you slow down in your lane, the people behind you will, more than likely, be looking east to see the ambulance instead of looking north where your car is now traveling slower than they are. I have seen this happen dozens of times.

So my suggestion is, if you are not in danger of impeding the emergency vehicle, keep eyes forward and maintain speed.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Allen View Post
If you are traveling north, and the ambulance is traveling south, and you slow down in your lane, the people behind you will, more than likely, be looking east to see the ambulance instead of looking north where your car is now traveling slower than they are. I have seen this happen dozens of times.

So my suggestion is, if you are not in danger of impeding the emergency vehicle, keep eyes forward and maintain speed.
...and if a cop is following the emergency vehicle as they sometimes do to catch people disobeying the law, they will arrest you. Bad advice here.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:33 PM

I've seen the cops following the ambulances many times. 0 is the number of tickets I have gotten from it. Why? Because the cop isn't looking for law breakers, he's heading to the same place the ambulance is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas