Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times

Advertisements

I've lived in each of the 3 Pacific states, the hottest place being Sacramento.

There are a lot of jobs in my professional area of work in Las Vegas. I was just glancing at the listings. I have a friend who is a single female who moved there. She likes it in that she downsized from a larger metro area and can afford a nice home. I don't think she has met any people on a meaningful level that have become her friends. I've been. I like the new homes and the Strip is interesting though not compelling.

That being said, where would a conservative (by choice, not religion) single male live that's a nice and quiet area? Summerlin or Henderson? Are there like-minded singles? Would you even add it to your list of city choices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM

23,869 posts, read 24,096,161 times
You probably won't find a lot of like-minded people here - most of what I've observed on these forums is heavily left-leaning.

But come on down! Summerlin would probably be a pretty good area for the more conservative types. Not sure about Henderson. I'd think that you'd likely be in the minority regardless of which area you choose, though.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You probably won't find a lot of like-minded people here - most of what I've observed on these forums is heavily left-leaning.

But come on down! Summerlin would probably be a pretty good area for the more conservative types. Not sure about Henderson. I'd think that you'd likely be in the minority regardless of which area you choose, though.
What? Where you been hanging out. I tend toward the center...varying from right to left on various issues...maybe even a little libertarian and I get kicked about the head and shoulders all the time.

You can wonder around NW Las Vegas for days and you can't even find a centrist...put up an Obama sign and you may get fire bombed. Well maybe not that bad...but somebody will ride and ATV over your lawn.

Town has a democrat majority but it is not particularly liberal.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
The South Shore community of Lake Las Vegas is heavily conservative, of course it is very affluent as well. Many areas of the West and NW side of town are as well. With all of the small business owners, self employed individuals, and entrepeneurs in this town you will definitely find a conservative presence.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
And any place with a lot of cowboys...they think Limbaugh is a wild eyed liberal.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:04 PM

23,869 posts, read 24,096,161 times
I haven't been here long (just over a year), so I'm not too familiar with the historical trends. What I know is what I see - Hillary and Obama signs everywhere I go, with none for any of the conservative candidates (Ron Paul excepted - he never really was a viable candidate). The political threads that I've seen in this forum are exclusively democrat-oriented, with anyone showing any conservative leanings getting attitude from the others. And finally, two words: Harry Reid.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,360,095 times
Folks...more so than politically conservative, I meant someone who is low-key, not a big party-goer and not into drinking, smoking and stuff like that. I still like restaurants, movies and swatting around a tennis ball. I'm Catholic, so that stuff isn't forbidden...I just don't partake. So Summerlin, huh? It's nice out there. Henderson is nice, too, right? My friend lives in the new SW area, immediately outside 215.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,846,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Folks...more so than politically conservative, I meant someone who is low-key, not a big party-goer and not into drinking, smoking and stuff like that. I still like restaurants, movies and swatting around a tennis ball. I'm Catholic, so that stuff isn't forbidden...I just don't partake. So Summerlin, huh? It's nice out there. Henderson is nice, too, right? My friend lives in the new SW area, immediately outside 215.
Oh, I see. The standard Vegas stereotype, huh? JK. There are actually many people out here, single and otherwise, that have absolutely no desire to revel in the debauchery that the Vegas strip has to offer. There is also plenty of stuff to do for those people.

As far as what's nice, I would say anything along the Southern, Southeastern, Western, Southwestern, and Northwestern edge of town. Many nice, quiet neighborhoods.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:11 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,503 times
I consider our family to be very conservative. We are also Catholic and I have 3 children in Catholic school. Most likely because of this, most of the people I have met out here are also very conservative and while we do enjoy a night out and have nothing against a cocktail or two, we are certainly not "over the top" by any means. Since you are single, it might be harder for you, just because the "kid" factor helps you to meet other parents fairly easily. Since you mentioned that you are Catholic, I am going to assume that you are practicing and suggest that you join a church out here and go to their "singles" groups. St. Joseph Husband of Mary Catholic Church on Sahara has an awesome singles group from what I have been told by some of my husbands family members who are single and belong there. We attend St. Elizabeth Ann Seton which is in Summerlin and they also have a singles group but I don't know much about it.

Hope this helps

Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,776 times
I've actually found Summerlin to be pretty conservative. Especially Summerlin South.

Summerlin North is moderate-ish.

Henderson and North Las Vegas seem to be more liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas