Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 AM

542 posts, read 1,929,581 times

Advertisements

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it... I'm about to lose control and ... WELL yall know the rest!! ha ha ha
I've been reading threads and posting in this forum for a while now. I have been on countdown mode for over a year. Now that it's getting closer I'm sooooo excited, yet a bit nervous. I know the big move is almost here but... it still seems so unreal!! lol

Those who have recently made "the move" how did you feel before the big move? When did it become "for real" to you? A week before, a month or the day of??

Please share your experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 PM

66 posts, read 327,171 times
Don't know. Like everyone else here I was forced to move suddenly after getting in a gun fight with the law out in Ohio.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,349 times
It's good that you're moving, but don't get TOO excited! The novelty factor will be fun while it lasts, and it will eventually end.
Think of it this way... the better you think living in Vegas will be, the less likely that living in Vegas will be that good. While that doesn't mean your best bet is assuming it'll be a living hell (so that reality exceeds your expectations), you certainly don't want to envision some sort of fantasy scenario that can not be met. I

Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,511,811 times
Easy there, tiger...you might just burn out. Now, we all know that things happen to everyone in EVERY city in the world. Hopefully, most things are good....but some are not good. It is normal to feel excited about moving to a new place, but please keep in persepective, that LIFE does not change like it did for Dorothy when she walked from black&white Kansas to beautifully-colored Oz.

I point this out, because there are quite a few who move there expecting life to change overnight and to be like Oz. For some, it comes close...for others, it's about the same where they came from...and for others it is worse. True of any place.

Now, not to trash your dreams, but try visualizing being stuck in traffic on I-215 on a 110 degree day, when the needle on your dashboard starts to head closer to H(ot) than to C(old). All of a sudden you start to see smoke coming out of the radiator. You're already running 10 minutes late to pick up your kid at school, because she was bullied for being the new kid. There's just no place to pull over, so you get out from your previously air-conditioned car into the blistering desert heat and pop open the hood. Some may stop and help...some may tell you're number 1, with a certain finger. Unless, you look like Paris Hilton...expect the latter. It's just that type of day.

Now, this can happen in any city, anywhere (ok...maybe not 110 degrees anywhere...but maybe -2 in other places!). These things happen everyday to people. And just as they may happen to you in Ohio...they can also happen to you in LV. So why do I paint this ugly picture??? Because some go there expecting that they'll never have a bad day...they think it's the Land of Oz, where the wizard appears in these situations to whisk you up in a hot air ballon. And when, instead, the AAA truck shows up 2 hours later....they blame their move to LV (or wherever else) for all their problems.

Conversely, visualize beautiful mountains in the distance as the sun begins to set. Every second, the sun position moves closer to meet the horizon, and the beautiful montains change in color right in front of your eyes. You sit outside with your kid, cooking on the gas grill, in t-shirts in March and sip freshly made Margarita's (non-alcoholic for the kid!) This is also LV.

Good and bad in every place. Just don't move there (or anywhere else) expecting that LV is Oz and that it owes you a yellow-brick road. Everyday problems happen there and everywhere else every minute of the day. Everyday, miracles do too.

If one is moving there expecting a big change in life...they must really look within for that change. If not, no area will magically make it happen.

Last edited by jfkIII; 02-11-2008 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,850,713 times
^^^ Truth, unless your kid is in a 12 month school and you find yourself picking them up in the middle of August. Then it gets around 115+.

March-April and October-November are definitely my favorite times of year.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:27 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,478,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Easy there, tiger...you might just burn out. Now, we all know that things happen to everyone in EVERY city in the world. Hopefully, most things are good....but some are not good. It is normal to feel excited about moving to a new place, but please keep in persepective, that LIFE does not change like it did for Dorothy when she walked from black&white Kansas to beautifully-colored Oz.

I point this out, because there are quite a few who move there expecting life to change overnight and to be like Oz. For some, it comes close...for others, it's about the same where they came from...and for others it is worse. True of any place.

Now, not to trash your dreams, but try visualizing being stuck in traffic on I-215 on a 110 degree day, when the needle on your dashboard starts to head closer to H(ot) than to C(old). All of a sudden you start to see smoke coming out of the radiator. You're already running 10 minutes late to pick up your kid at school, because she was bullied for being the new kid. There's just no place to pull over, so you get out from your previously air-conditioned car into the blistering desert heat and pop open the hood. Some may stop and help...some may tell you're number 1, with a certain finger. Unless, you look like Paris Hilton...expect the latter. It's just that type of day.

Now, this can happen in any city, anywhere (ok...maybe not 110 degrees anywhere...but maybe -2 in other places!). These things happen everyday to people. And just as they may happen to you in Ohio...they can also happen to you in LV. So why do I paint this ugly picture??? Because some go there expecting that they'll never have a bad day...they think it's the Land of Oz, where the wizard appears in these situations to whisk you up in a hot air ballon. And when, instead, the AAA truck shows up 2 hours later....they blame their move to LV (or wherever else) for all their problems.

Conversely, visualize beautiful mountains in the distance as the sun begins to set. Every second, the sun position moves closer to meet the horizon, and the beautiful montains change in color right in front of your eyes. You sit outside with your kid, cooking on the gas grill, in t-shirts in March and sip freshly made Margarita's (non-alcoholic for the kid!) This is also LV.

Good and bad in every place. Just don't move there (or anywhere else) expecting that LV is Oz and that it owes you a yellow-brick road. Everyday problems happen there and everywhere else every minute of the day. Everyday, miracles do too.

If one is moving there expecting a big change in life...they must really look within for that change. If not, no area will magically make it happen.

A good post jfk...and very truthful. No place is perfect, and if the person is coming to live here in LV and bringing lots of problems with them...then LV will turn out to be their living hell...as would anyplace they would choose to live.

However, when research has been done, meaning...a trip here and not just to the tourist areas, good planning, a supply of back up funds, a promise of employment, realizing you've left friends/family behind, realizing this is the DESERT and staying within your budget...LV can be wonderful!

The natural beauty, good weather, conveniences, choices, as well as all the excitement of the adult Disneyland, will be yours to enjoy year round and 24/7, when you plan well and have realistic expectations.

Good luck with your move movingon...and an early welcome to Las Vegas!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:40 PM

ha ha ha thanks for all of the advice on not being too excited about my move! wow ha ha ha I do realize Vegas isn't Oz and bad things happen to good people there!!!

I have been coming to Vegas on vacation almost every summer (usually in July so I KNOW about the heat and I LOVE IT) since I was 16. Yes we left the strip quite a bit. I wanted to go to UNLV for college but ended up not going because I didn't want to leave my mom. As I grew older I always wanted to move out of Ohio but due to family I never left. Now 10 years later I am going to take a leap of faith and finally make the move. Do I realize everything won't always be sprinkled with fairy dust yes. Do I expect every day to be horrible not at all. I am coming with a savings and an optimism that I WILL make it. I also know if I hate Vegas as much as some people seem to ... I can always go home. I just don't want to live my life with any regrets and wonder... what would have happened if I would have given it a try and moved to Vegas. Like I often find myself saying ... I wonder what would have happened if I would have gone away to college.

I just wanted to share my excitement about my move and see if anyone else who recently moved could relate. Sorry

Old 02-11-2008, 05:48 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,478,815 times
Oh no no movingon, I'm not trying to discourage you at all. We are almost in the business of welcoming/accepting new residents. We've been doing so for as long as I can remember

Just wanted to see where your "head" was at, and it seems you have a good game plan. Those negativities were some of the reasons I have heard from folks I knew who moved here and found the valley didn't live up to their expectations. However, you seemed to have done research and you should be quite successful and enjoy it here!

Much good luck to you, you have every right to be excited, everybody loves Las Vegas and wants to know what goes on here, pretty soon, it will all be yours... it will be "home"

Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,338,349 times
There's no reason to APOLOGIZE for being excited about the move! The reason I posted was just to inform you that it's not always good to go into something with extremely high expectations. Vegas is one place people move to with that kind of mindset and, as you know, many end up leaving having had an unsuccessful time there.
I agree with the previous poster that you should be excited and looking forward to your move. The key is to balance this with realistic expectations and realize that not all of your problems will be solved just by making the move.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the Vegas welcome. I understand there will be bumps in the road and a transition period. What I'm most worried about is missing my family. I'm committing to 1 year no matter what.I'm sure I will love Vegas but... you never know... right. I guess that's what you all are trying to say. lol Like I said I'm sticking to my 1 year if it doesn't work out I will go home. I'm renting my house out in Ohio for my first year in Vegas if I hate it I have a home to come home to. If I love it... I have a home to put on the market!! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: