Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:38 PM

206 posts, read 183,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Good gravy, LVOC.... Seriously, you are probably not seeing it in Lone Mountain because it's rural-ish, but ask anybody who lives off of Ann Rd how the demographic has changed in the area. Centennial Hills as well. A good friend of mine said, during the bust " tomorrow's slums come with granite countertops."
No denial. He just doesn't know what's happening. He's had multiple murders a block from his house he didn't even know happened. Yeah, he's really got his finger on the pulse of LV. Don't you guys realize he uses this forum as a tool to farm for commissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 05:10 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
the numbers that count are well known and easily available from the Feds. They are public through 2014. The data for the first half of 2015 will be available in a couple of months and the full year in September. I have no doubt that there have been a spike in crime in Las Vegas and a number of other cities. Whether it is sustained or not and its actual size will not be known until we have a lot more data. I believe for instance Chicago has reports that the murder count for the first two months has doubled over last year.

So no I have little doubt a spike is under way. I simply suggest we wait until it becomes clear before we start panicking. For instance it could turn out LV is getting worse...but much less than other big cities.

When you shake it all down US crime peaked in 1994 and is down more than 50% since then. Are we all scared to death of a return to the fearsome 90s.

Something over 80% of the single family homes sold in the NW last year appear to have been bought to be owner occupied. That suggest stability. I would think at the peak well over 50% were not owner occupied.

Last edited by lvoc; 03-02-2016 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,122,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
No denial. He just doesn't know what's happening. He's had multiple murders a block from his house he didn't even know happened. Yeah, he's really got his finger on the pulse of LV. Don't you guys realize he uses this forum as a tool to farm for commissions.

Pretty much.

That being said, I don't feel endangered living here. I did cable installs in some of the really bad areas, and the ONLY time I felt less than safe was when this giant pitbull was angrily growling at me. The little woman holding said pitbull stood no chance if that dog decided to lunge at me. Once she got the dog back into her house, I felt fine again. I know that the bulk of crime is drug and gang related. I'm not in a gang nor do I partake in drugs. I don't participate in the lifestyles that harbor crime. My chances of being involved in crime are pretty low.

I do risk the same thing as everyone else, I could catch a stray bullet, or get shot in a random driveby. I could get mugged (Jokes on them, I have no credit cards or cash ha ha) my house could get broken into, but those things aren't very likely. I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,060,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Los Angeles is now one of the safest large cities on the planet! It came at the expense of the city taking it's ghetto class and giving them Section 8 vouchers and then shipping them out to become someone else's problem to deal with. That's why Las Vegas, San Bernardino, Victorville are now dealing with so much crime while L.A. has gotten safer.
This made no sense to me so I had to research it. I agree with your other points, but Los Angeles crime is going up just like ours is.

Crime in Los Angeles rose in all categories in 2015, LAPD says - LA Times

Old 03-02-2016, 07:01 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,281,500 times
I noticed since last summer the area I live in changed. Then just after I posted in another thread asking about the area that I thought it was getting better again we get a written notice from management about the increase in crime in our complex and for residents to be vigilant. It told us to lock our doors and windows. Property crime, break-ins and vehicle thefts have increased and it asked residents to keep them in the loop about it. Last month I saw some police lights in our parking lot in the wee hours of the morning so I wondered what happened and if this noticed had to do with that. Then recently I saw they just installed huge high beam lights on the gated entrances to brighten it up for the surveillance cameras. They have really good viability during the day and I bet it's much better now with these lights at night, but I feel sorry for the people that live next to the gates with the new lights. They're going to need blackout curtains.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:03 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,582,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I noticed since last summer the area I live in changed. Then just after I posted in another thread asking about the area that I thought it was getting better again we get a written notice from management about the increase in crime in our complex and for residents to be vigilant. It told us to lock our doors and windows. Property crime, break-ins and vehicle thefts have increased and it asked residents to keep them in the loop about it. Last month I saw some police lights in our parking lot in the wee hours of the morning so I wondered what happened and if this noticed had to do with that. Then recently I saw they just installed huge high beam lights on the gated entrances to brighten it up for the surveillance cameras. They have really good viability during the day and I bet it's much better now with these lights at night, but I feel sorry for the people that live next to the gates with the new lights. They're going to need blackout curtains.
Sheesh, more anecdotal evidence.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
Sheesh, more anecdotal evidence.
As I have said we have a spike going on. And wonder of wonders we have dragged LA into it with us...

It is nice to know our western suburb is not escaping this plague.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:12 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,493,101 times
I talk to the Police on a regular basis courtesy of the low class tenants that are my neighbors. What I find insulting are these low life tenants of investor owners who seem to think they are entitled and above the communities' CC&Rs and By Laws.

I don't put up with it so I call the cops all the time, many show empathy to what I go through with my neighbors while others just don't want to deal with it and yes they know my neighbors are losers.

As far as crime, like what the Police have mentioned, it has changed compared to years past, population increase, legalization of medical marijuana, yes we talk about this particular issue and we agree, the incidence of people driving under the influence of marijuana has increased. Scary really, pretty much the same as drunk driving. Now we have to deal with it, under the influence of marijuana and alcohol on our streets.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,829 times

Las Vegas Valley sees huge spike in violent crime

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -
In just the first two months of 2016, violent crimes, including homicides, robberies, and sexual assaults, are spiking throughout the Valley.

“Statistically speaking, we are having a lot more violence in Las Vegas,” Las Vegas Metro Officer Larry Hadfield said. “We are up 80 percent for homicides, up 18 percent in robberies. Our violent crimes across all categories are spiking. It’s unacceptable.”

Read more: [url=/story/31361815/valley-sees-huge-spike-in-violent-crimes#ixzz41pawFtAa]Las Vegas Valley sees huge spike in violent crime - FOX5 Vegas - KVVU[/url]
This city is really dangerous now. Criminals are everywhere!!!!

Old 03-03-2016, 02:48 AM

4 posts, read 2,829 times
Violent crime up 80% in the valley
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2ND 2016

Quote:
LAS VEGAS (KSNV News3LV) — Violent crimes are on the rise. It's a troubling trend Metro police are seeing this year, and we are only three months into 2016.

Already, police say the rate of murders has more than doubled compared to last year. Brutal robberies are also spiking.

Patty Mills has lived in Las Vegas all her life -- and she tells us she can't remember crime being so bad.

"It's just really out of control. I know that," Mills said.
[url=http://news3lv.com/news/local/violent-crime-up-80]Violent crime up 80% in the valley | News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KSNV[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas