Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
DoubleA...you're not a pool technician....you're a CHEMIST!
With the nasty water in LV, you just about have to be. There was a guy who worked for Paramount Pool Supply who was studying the water chemistry in LV and trying to concoct the "perfect solution" to keep plaster white. You'd go into his place and he had fish tanks full of LV water, with small plaster discs suspended from fishing line in the tanks- he'd try different chemical combinations to see which worked best. In order to get the plaster to stay as nice as what he had in his tanks, you'd spend a fortune on chemicals every month.

We used to take water to him for analysis when customers complained that there was something wrong with our plaster jobs (and we'd blame the problem on their chemical treatment), and he'd be there in his little white lab coat on running his tests. You'd drop off the water, and a few days later you got a 4-page report on the water chemistry, what caused the current conditions, and how to rectify them. At that point, it was "case closed" 99% of the time, in our favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
He did the mash....he DID the MONSTER MASH!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,376 times
Okay here is what happened. I contacted Peak Pool Plastering about re plastering my pool.
They said it would take 5 to 8 working days. Last Thursday, they drained my pool. Last Friday, They're removed the old plastering. Saturday morning, I inspected the waterline titles and found a few tiles chipped/cut. I contacted them by email on Monday. Oh yes,I took a few pictures and emailed with them. They said the would send supervisor to inspect on that day (Monday) but they had re-schedule to Tuesday. This past Tuesday, he finally showed up at 2:45pm and said they woudl fix the problem. Yesterday, no one came to fix it. I contacted them via email. No response. I called them today and learned that they would come down here and fix the title problems today. I inspected again to make sure everything looks okay but the titles (the one they've replaced) was crooked. It was very sloppy job. Of course I wasn't happy so I called and complained about it. They'll send someone to inspect again. I asked them when they will put new plaster and all that stuff. They said next week! UGH! UGH! It was very very slow processing. I m not happy about thier service at all. I didn't realize it was a very very slow processing. Is this normal? I thought they would do it in a week, like mon thru fri to do the job but I was mistaken. They don't do that in a week. They do it like two days a week then next week two days a week and so on. I think it is silly. anyway, I have to wait til next Tuesday, they'll come down here and split the main drain into two becsaue of Federal law. Don't ask me about that stupid law. Then theyll put new plaster in the pool. who knows when that will happen..UGH!!! UGH!!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM

39 posts, read 231,613 times
Just to be extra cautious - check any company out prior to doing business with them at the BBB. Better Business Bureau of Southern Nevada

I used to work for the BBB in Hawaii and heard MANY horror stories of people hiring companies that were really cheap, only to end up screwed in the end! Be careful and good luck!

P.S. We had our Hawaii pool replastered for about $6,000 (didn't pay it, our landlord did) and they did a fantastic job but our pool was out of commission for several days. Now's the perfect time to do it since it's not sweltering hot outside!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
Peak is a very good company, and will do what they have to in order to make you happy (within reason). Splitting the main drain is definitely a good idea- I can't say that it's a "Federal law", but it's something that's done on every new pool and make a lot of sense from a safety standpoint. Regarding it taking longer than a week, if the tile issues didn't come up, it likely would have been done already, but I'm sure they'll get it done shortly. At least we're not talking about the middle of July when you could be using the pool, right???

Old 02-28-2008, 08:50 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Peak is a very good company, and will do what they have to in order to make you happy (within reason). Splitting the main drain is definitely a good idea- I can't say that it's a "Federal law", but it's something that's done on every new pool and make a lot of sense from a safety standpoint. Regarding it taking longer than a week, if the tile issues didn't come up, it likely would have been done already, but I'm sure they'll get it done shortly. At least we're not talking about the middle of July when you could be using the pool, right???

There was a little girl in Colorado that had her intestines sucked out while sitting on a main drain in a wading pool. When you split the drains, the suction is reduced by half. Also make sure there are anti vortex covers on them and if you have a vac inlet on the side of the pool, it should have a safety cover also.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,333,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
With the nasty water in LV, you just about have to be. There was a guy who worked for Paramount Pool Supply who was studying the water chemistry in LV and trying to concoct the "perfect solution" to keep plaster white. You'd go into his place and he had fish tanks full of LV water, with small plaster discs suspended from fishing line in the tanks- he'd try different chemical combinations to see which worked best. In order to get the plaster to stay as nice as what he had in his tanks, you'd spend a fortune on chemicals every month.

We used to take water to him for analysis when customers complained that there was something wrong with our plaster jobs (and we'd blame the problem on their chemical treatment), and he'd be there in his little white lab coat on running his tests. You'd drop off the water, and a few days later you got a 4-page report on the water chemistry, what caused the current conditions, and how to rectify them. At that point, it was "case closed" 99% of the time, in our favor.
According to these guys, LV rates a perfect 50??
What city has the cleanest drinking water?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:58 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
According to these guys, LV rates a perfect 50??
What city has the cleanest drinking water?
I think its because of the high calcium and other minerals in the water and not how good it is for drinking. The water here is terrible for pools because every 2-3 years or so, you will need an Acid Wash and a Tile Cleaning (bead blast). Its big money for the pool service companies but it sucks for the home owners who have to fork out $$$ to have this done. Its not cheap to own a pool in Vegas. It keeps me employed all year round!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
I think its because of the high calcium and other minerals in the water and not how good it is for drinking. The water here is terrible for pools because every 2-3 years or so, you will need an Acid Wash and a Tile Cleaning (bead blast). Its big money for the pool service companies but it sucks for the home owners who have to fork out $$$ to have this done. Its not cheap to own a pool in Vegas. It keeps me employed all year round!

Can we protect water from high calcium and other minerals? I have a pool and do hate ACID wash!!! ugh!!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:47 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
There was a little girl in Colorado that had her intestines sucked out while sitting on a main drain in a wading pool. When you split the drains, the suction is reduced by half. Also make sure there are anti vortex covers on them and if you have a vac inlet on the side of the pool, it should have a safety cover also.
It is not reduced in half. It is reduced by orders of magnitude. When you block the only drain you get the static suction the pump can deliver. That is likely to be feet of water...big pumps may even cavitate which suggests 32 feet of water column. When you have two drains it is a dynamic situation and you generate practically no suction head on the closed one. So you go from intestine sucking levels to levels that would not hold with any real force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas