Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,301 times

Advertisements

hello,
I see a lot of people saying you need at least 1000 to get a decent 2 br 1 ba apartment in vegas.... but when I look on craigslist, Zillow, and trulia, I see 3 bedrooms for as low as 800, as with any place I do recognize you get what you pay for. I am just wondering what I am missing that makes these so cheap?
I do see in my research that bugs can be a big problem some places. I am from san diego and have to move to keep my job....
I am looking in spring valley but am open to any area really
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 12:02 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasp View Post
hello,
I see a lot of people saying you need at least 1000 to get a decent 2 br 1 ba apartment in vegas.... but when I look on craigslist, Zillow, and trulia, I see 3 bedrooms for as low as 800, as with any place I do recognize you get what you pay for. I am just wondering what I am missing that makes these so cheap?
I do see in my research that bugs can be a big problem some places. I am from san diego and have to move to keep my job....
I am looking in spring valley but am open to any area really
It depends on what your definition of "decent" is, and what tolerance you have for drugs/crime/violence surrounding your residence.

What makes them so cheap is the location. The printing company I use for work is on Maryland and Trop. As I drive from Russell up Maryland, there are quite a few apartment complexes on both sides. Do a Google Earth walking tour of the area, and you'll see the type of environment of which I'm speaking. If you're comfortable living there based on that, come walk that stretch at about 11:00p on any given night and see if you're still comfortable.

I would be one of those people who say you need at least 1000/mo for a decent apartment. That is what apartments run in the areas in which I would live. YMMV.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:05 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
If single get a one bedroom in a better neighborhood for under $1000. Live the best you can With what you can.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:00 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,260 times
You can find some condos/apartments for ~800 in some ok areas of Vegas. They won't be plentiful but they are around.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,301 times
Is spring valley a pretty good spot to start looking around?

Old 11-12-2015, 03:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasp View Post
Is spring valley a pretty good spot to start looking around?
Spring Valley is a really big part of town. It's centrally located and has great as well as shady, areas. West of Rainbow is pretty much a safe bet. I'd say it's a good place to start.

And yes, a grand for a two bedroom. Maybe 800. Maybe on a slow move in month, with great credit.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:50 AM

16 posts, read 12,379 times
SV is a perfect place to look! I lived off Decatur/Russell in a gorgeous condo with a nice view for $645 when I left in 2014. I looked online and it appears that the same one now is about $750. Still an amazing price.

If people could keep things more central and not be seduced by the burbs and their egos, they would see Vegas is still oh so very cheap. I mean, what other place can you have NO state tax and decent property taxes? Don't be fooled by placed like Texas and Florida! No Income tax, but they get their money on those property taxes.

You can also still get a decent apartment in the Lakes for about $800.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:27 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
You can find some condos/apartments for ~800 in some ok areas of Vegas. They won't be plentiful but they are around.
This.

Also check reviews of any apts you are considering. Look not only at what the complaints are about and how they are handled but also how the tenants addressed the situation, then ask yourself if these seems like the sort of people you would be comfortable with as neighbors.

I don't think neighborhoods matter (once your out of ultra low rent areas) nearly as much as tenant screening does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas