Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,602 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom of three who will be relocating to Vegas in February. I know this seems like a long way off but I need a lot of information if anyone can and is willing to help. I will be working as a RN at North Vista Hospital, which from what I understand, is in a poor part of Vegas. What I need is the following:

1. Where is the most affordable, safe and best area to live with exceptional school districts? I am willing to pay for it as long as me and my children are safe and they get the education they need. Also, do you know how the sports are ran out there, are they recreational or are they provided by the schools?
2. Is there a good day care close to the above area in question, and also is this or any other reputable daycare operate 24 hours, because one of my children is under the age of 4?
3. Does anyone know of a good Pediatrician, Obstetrician/Gynecologist, Family Practice Physician, Pulmonologist, Pediatric Oncologist, Pediatric Pulmonogist, Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Pediatric Ophthalmologist and Pediatric Dentist?

I think these are the main things that are troubling right now. I am planning a small trip out there toward the end of March to take a look around so if anyone has any ideas of places that may be ideal, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:28 PM

84 posts, read 391,163 times
Hi Nursinggirl. I used to live on the North part of town and I don't really recommend finding a place to live near the North Vista Hospital. North Las Vegas has grown considerably and there are nice areas. Hopefully, a reader can guide you to the right directions but I think that areas around Ann Road and Durango and further North should be ok. There are a lot of recreational activities for kids run by the City. Check out the city of North Las Vegas website and it can give you some information. Unfortunately, all my ob/gyn and pediatricians are in Henderson and that would be a long drive for you. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I noticed no one has responded to your post yet so hopefully some one can step up and give you more information. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:20 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,466,541 times
I've been all over North Las Vegas over the last few days. This is only my opinion and I haven't been everywhere up that way, but I know that I would only buy NORTH of CENTENNIAL. We like one of the model homes by Richmond American in the Cumberland Subdivision (Rome Model) but wouldn't purchase it as I don't like the area. About a 10 minute (well 5-10 miles) in the Northwest Astoria Homes has some great looking places (no yard tho) for sale and also a few are For Sale in the same area which I saw where cheaper. Good Luck Nursinggirl...we wish you the best and wish I had more information for you. There are some great folks on here and I am sure you will get your answers.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:43 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
If you want to live in the newer part of North Las Vegas/Northwest, just stay within these boundaries and you should be ok:
North of Ann road(which goes all the way to Farm/Horse and probably beyond by now), east to Clayton, and west to Decatur. That encompasses a large area.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,925,281 times
Yeah, as long as you stay far enough north, you'll be fine. Most of the newer areas of North Las Vegas are quite nice. Like up by Ann.

I also know from personal experience that Durango is basically a really nice street all the way up and down. Durango and Ann is a nice area, but ever further north tends to be nicer (especially up by Centennial). I don't think the area is technically North LV, but rather just the general northwest, and it's another one of the vibrant, newly developed areas. It would be a bit of a drive, since it's on the west side, but I agree with whoever recced it.

Housing is cheap in general right now, so you should be okay where ever you look.

Last edited by radraja; 02-08-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,925,281 times
As for sports, youth community soccer is really big out here. This is definitely a soccer town, and the teams tend to be all community teams, up until the high school level when kids join school teams.

I'll PM you about some doctors I know of.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:10 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,300,380 times
Everytime i go to Wild Oats on Lake Mead/Tenaya on saturdays, across the street is that big park and it's always filled with soccer teams. Over at Desert Breeze park in The Lakes area, is also another popular one for the same thing. And the skate park is also there.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,132,546 times
they have a huggggggge soccer park on Rainbow n Washington

Old 02-24-2008, 03:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,602 times
Default Thanx

I want to say thank you to all of you. I am still trying to figure this site out but I have read your input and am going to do some research based on that and I just want you to know that I am very grateful that there are still good people out there willing to help. Thanks again

Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 22,827 times
Default Where To Live

MY ALMOST 5YR OLD WAS BORN THERE(NORTH VISTA-LAKE MEAD),AND I LIVE ON THE EAST SIDE NEAR SUNRISE MANOR,THERE ISNT ANYTHING WRONG WITH THIS NEIGHBORHOOD OR LAS VEGAS HIGHSCHOOL...ITS A LITTLE OLDER AND RUN DOWN A BIT,BUT I FEEL SAFE OVER HERE,AND I'VE BEEN OVER HERE FOR 5YRS NOW!! GOOD LUCK,YOU MIGHT LIKE IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursinggirl1975 View Post
I am a single mom of three who will be relocating to Vegas in February. I know this seems like a long way off but I need a lot of information if anyone can and is willing to help. I will be working as a RN at North Vista Hospital, which from what I understand, is in a poor part of Vegas. What I need is the following:

1. Where is the most affordable, safe and best area to live with exceptional school districts? I am willing to pay for it as long as me and my children are safe and they get the education they need. Also, do you know how the sports are ran out there, are they recreational or are they provided by the schools?
2. Is there a good day care close to the above area in question, and also is this or any other reputable daycare operate 24 hours, because one of my children is under the age of 4?
3. Does anyone know of a good Pediatrician, Obstetrician/Gynecologist, Family Practice Physician, Pulmonologist, Pediatric Oncologist, Pediatric Pulmonogist, Pediatric Gastroenterologist, Pediatric Ophthalmologist and Pediatric Dentist?

I think these are the main things that are troubling right now. I am planning a small trip out there toward the end of March to take a look around so if anyone has any ideas of places that may be ideal, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas