Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,500 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short: my mom bought a house a year ago and finally moved to vegas from LA in May with my sister and her boyfriend. About two weeks ago my sister passed away, she was only 21 =(

Since than my mom has stayed here in LA with the rest of the family BUT she is going back home next monday 9/17. The bad news is she is moving back by herself.

I need help keeping my mom busy, since she is not doing too well after my sisters death. Since we don't know ANYONE in Las Vegas I am very despreate to keep her occupied. Her current job sucks, she is PT only and it doesnt pay her good at all.

I would like to know if there are any adut schools/hobbies/jobs/ beauty classes, ANYTHING that can keep my mom from being lonely. The catch is... her english is not good.

Please contact me directly if you have anything in mind @ girlyrunner2001@yahoo.com

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 01:43 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
That is sad! I think a local church could help her out if she's a church goer. What language does she speak?

Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,507,035 times
I agree with doubleA...it is sad, and my condolences to you on the loss of your sister. But I would certainly look where he suggested (church, local social services, support groups, etc.) It sounds like quite a serious situation. Just curious...if she has no one on LV, why doesn't she move back to LA where the rest of the family is?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 PM

52 posts, read 336,021 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll say a prayer for your family to help you through this. If your mom believes, church may really help her. They can provide counseling, and they may be able to employee her as a volunteer some how. Again, sorry for your loss.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:20 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
What language does she speak?

Animal shelters are wonderful places to volunteer. If she likes animals.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 PM

She speaks mostly spanish... she has a very thick accent when she speaks english... but that hasn't stopped her from trying.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:22 PM

Default update

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAPoolServiceLV View Post
That is sad! I think a local church could help her out if she's a church goer. What language does she speak?
I don't think the church out here was very supportive... We are catholic... she went for help and was pretty much told to just attend services.
She speaks spanish

Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 AM

159 posts, read 478,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyrunner View Post
I don't think the church out here was very supportive... We are catholic... she went for help and was pretty much told to just attend services.
She speaks spanish
First and foremost, please know that I will add you and your mom to my prayer list. I hope your sister is having the most wonderful afterlife ever! Her work here was certainly done early. Too soon by human standards, but I personally believe in a larger plan...incomprehensible as it may be to us.

My suggestions include searching (online) for a bereavement group in or near her neighborhood. If she's of senior age, there are senior centers throughout the Valley, and I'm sure they'd include native Spanish speakers. Also, check out the Web site for the Spiritual Life Center. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school thru 6th grade and then to a Catholic college. My personal experience is that the Catholic Church leaves me cold.

If after you check out the site your mom decides to go, send me a private e-mail to tell me which service (Sun at 9:00 a.m. or 10:30 a.m), and we'll figure out how I can meet her there. I don't speak Spanish, but there are some congregants who do, so I'll bring Mom to the Welcome Center and they'll hook her up. Here's the link:

http://www.fcrslv.org

And if anyone hasn't told you lately, you're a good daughter! God bless!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:14 AM

307 posts, read 1,223,376 times
Im sorry about your sister. If u don't mind telling me how she died?

Old 12-21-2007, 10:21 AM

818 posts, read 3,699,279 times
There's a really good senior center at Bonanza and Las Vegas Blvd, which is also near several museums and a large library. There are exercise classes, a large pool, language classes and arts and crafts. My mother spends much time in this area and has found many constructive things to do. There are also shelters nearby which could always use volunteer help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas