Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM

698 posts, read 988,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I would take this one step further. The OP should get training BEFORE buying a gun.
Yes, completely agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 08:10 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,063,274 times
I'm a liberal democrat and have always been for not only gun control, but a gun free culture. That is, until a roommate took me out to a gun range last year. I have since totally changed my views and now even own a S&W 9mm Sigma. It is an excellent gun for a beginner and now I would not want to be without it. Someone really needs to get logline and scoop out to a range. It worked for me!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,914,741 times
Is this the Great Western Gun Show that used to be in Pomona California about 15 years ago?

Last edited by skugelstadt; 08-27-2015 at 10:18 PM..

Old 08-27-2015, 09:26 PM

775 posts, read 779,026 times
Buy shoes.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:33 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
Congratulations. It's always nice when someone sees the light.

Now we have to talk about the Sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I'm a liberal democrat and have always been for not only gun control, but a gun free culture. That is, until a roommate took me out to a gun range last year. I have since totally changed my views and now even own a S&W 9mm Sigma. It is an excellent gun for a beginner and now I would not want to be without it. Someone really needs to get logline and scoop out to a range. It worked for me!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Congratulations. It's always nice when someone sees the light.

Now we have to talk about the Sigma
I do realize it is rather weak. I plan on getting a Glock 30 next year.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:51 AM

15,882 posts, read 14,538,304 times
I assume it a 9mm. That isn't so much the issue (although I prefer .40, there's nothing particularly wrong with 9mm.)

The Sigma was S&W's first attempt to compete with Glock. It wasn't all that great an attempt. I've heard really bad things about it's trigger pull.

If you feel like it, go to a gun store (or the upcoming gun show) and handle/dry fire a SIG P320 or HK VP9 (or VP40 interchangably.) They'll probably feel a lot better. And probably a bit better than a Glock also, but the Glock has other things that recommend it.

Quote:
I do realize it is rather weak. I plan on getting a Glock 30 next year.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:08 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,958,653 times
Quote:
Someone really needs to get logline and scoop out to a range. It worked for me!
I've been to the range and shot guns when I was younger. My mom used to testify against mobsters and has a concealed carry permit. She wanted me to get used to guns, so she had an ex-cop train me. Believe me, I get it: there is a sense of power when you shoot a gun... I've felt it. I was actually pretty good at target shooting... then I grew up and did my research.

The unbiased facts are on my side here and they are undeniable. You and your family are safer without a gun in the house. Period.

I have no idea how your roommate got you to change your mind just by going to the range... do tell.

Last edited by logline; 08-28-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 08-28-2015, 01:20 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,026,153 times
Quote:
Someone really needs to get logline and scoop out to a range. It worked for me!
You make the common assumption that because I think that people who cannot be responsible with guns shouldn't have them that I don't know a thing about guns.

I don't pile on to the "which 1st gun should I buy for home security because I'm so scared" threads because it is irresponsible to do so. Most gun threads devolve into "boys with their toys." And unfortunately for society, firearms aren't toys.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I assume it a 9mm. That isn't so much the issue (although I prefer .40, there's nothing particularly wrong with 9mm.)

The Sigma was S&W's first attempt to compete with Glock. It wasn't all that great an attempt. I've heard really bad things about it's trigger pull.

If you feel like it, go to a gun store (or the upcoming gun show) and handle/dry fire a SIG P320 or HK VP9 (or VP40 interchangably.) They'll probably feel a lot better. And probably a bit better than a Glock also, but the Glock has other things that recommend it.
Yes, 9mm. I have no problem with the trigger pull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I've been to the range and shot guns when I was younger. My mom used to testify against mobsters and has a concealed carry permit. She wanted me to get used to guns, so she had an ex-cop train me. Believe me, I get it: there is a sense of power when you shoot a gun... I've felt it. I was actually pretty good at target shooting... then I grew up and did my research.

The unbiased facts are on my side here and they are undeniable. You and your family are safer without a gun in the house. Period.

I have no idea how your roommate got you to change your mind just by going to the range... do tell.
I have always hated guns. I did not want to go to the range but I relented. It is like you said the feeling of power. I love it. It took me two visits of a few hours to become proficient with a 9mm. Although I like the gun I have, I am still afraid of "big guns." I have no interest in shotguns, AR-15's, AK-47's, etc. Statistics aside, I differ that I feel safer with the gun than I did before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
You make the common assumption that because I think that people who cannot be responsible with guns shouldn't have them that I don't know a thing about guns.

I don't pile on to the "which 1st gun should I buy for home security because I'm so scared" threads because it is irresponsible to do so. Most gun threads devolve into "boys with their toys." And unfortunately for society, firearms aren't toys.
I do agree that anyone who owns a gun needs to be properly trained. I in no way support having a 9 year old girl shooting a sub machine gun. I am still wondering what that family was thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas