Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

That's a lot of verbage to say, "Yes, I'm being paid."

You have a stake in them coming here, whether they're prepared for the move or not. It directly benefits you if they drop everything, fly here, and rent a property.

Again, I haven't sent them any private messages offering my services (or available property for rent). You can't say the same. You already wrote upthread that you DM'ed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM

128 posts, read 152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But you've never lived here so you don't actually know this.

And let's not forget the 600-pound gorilla in the room -- her husband does not have a resident alien card. And presumably he doesn't speak Spanish, nor can he fit in with the undocumented Latino community. What then?
But I do and have lived hear much longer than you have.

I do know how to get them into a home and what it will take. No different than many other third party nationals that have moved here from other countries. I've helped a couple moving here from Brazil in the exact same situation. This is not uncommon nor impossible.

Just because you (personally) don't see a pathway to making it happen, doesn't mean it can't and wont happen. It happens everyday in this city.

Vegas is far beyond a Latino community where speaking Spanish is required, this is very narrow minded. Maybe your world is constrained by this, but the rest of us are not.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM

15,849 posts, read 14,479,382 times
He's married to a US citizen, so he's entitled to a green card. It's just a matter of how long it will take. She could and probably should start that process now, before they come over.

Quote:
But you've never lived here so you don't actually know this.

And let's not forget the 600-pound gorilla in the room -- her husband does not have a resident alien card. And presumably he doesn't speak Spanish, nor can he fit in with the undocumented Latino community. What then?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM

41 posts, read 36,573 times
How wrong you are Scoop. Please read my responses. Drivers licence - not difficult. Bank account - funded and used. Necessary funds - yes. Visa - no problem, husband is an Exemplary, experienced, intelligent, well educated and resourceful individual - in his 40's. He is also an optimist and that goes a long way! Who wouldn't want to employ him... Regular income - yes. Fallback plan - yes.

You can't be judgemental when you don't know someone on a personal basis. I hope it isn't the case that you are dissatisfied with your life and you don't want to see others fulfil their ambitions as that would be sad.

Do you seriously think 50 is old? I have visited Vegas every year for 3 weeks at a time for the past 14 years and have interacted with many older people in a variety of jobs. Jobs are not filled by young people only. If that was the case then companies would consistently be sued for age discrimination. Understandably, some employers do require young attractive employees and that's fine - it is Vegas but some employers also appreciate experience. I am sure we haven't got to a stage in the world where everyone over 50 who loses a job won't ever work again! Have you found it difficult finding employment? Are you of a certain age? There has to be a reason for your cynicism!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
He's married to a US citizen, so he's entitled to a green card. It's just a matter of how long it will take.
Again, have you personally done this recently? (Post 2001?)

Just to change my wife's legal name when we got married took several months and MANY visits to MANY government offices. And she had been a citizen for 10 years at that point.

OP has no idea what she's in for. And a bunch of perpetual rose-colored replies isn't doing her any favors.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I moved to Scotland when I was 24 without a job, bank account, driver's license, valid visa, support network, necessary funds and I made it work. Lived in a flat in Aberdour over looking the North Sea. Was a 20 minute rail ride from Edinburgh. I flew into England. Met my friend there from Norway. We spent a few nights in London. Then we drove to Scotland.

The OP mentioned they had a few friends here in Las Vegas so they're not entirely without a support network. They also must have some funds if they're traveling visiting here frequently and considering living here for a year looking for work. If anything their age and experience gives them more capability to handle what my come. Her husband can get a family based visa with work permit through her like my husband did. From what I can tell on the Strip loads of foreigners of all ages work here.

Anyways it's their dream so let them have it and give it a go while they still can. What's the worse that could happen? They fail or have a medical emergency and have to go back to the UK where they have all the things mentioned above to bring them back. That's been my experience when my foreign friends in the States their age have had troubles. Someone gets cancer and they have to go back to their home country where their friends and family are to help them.

After Scotland I moved to Norway and made it work. I didn't speak the language but I had friends there and I could have stayed living there longer or moved around Europe some more. Instead I'd had my dream experience and then I choose to come back.
Well said Merry, I am pleased you made it. I am sure us Scots would have welcomed you with open arms. I know Aberdour too - yes it's a small world! All the best with your future - it sounds like there is nothing you can't accomplish!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
He's married to a US citizen, so he's entitled to a green card. It's just a matter of how long it will take. She could and probably should start that process now, before they come over.
Actually that's a good point. Immigration will take some time. If they're married for longer than 2 years then he's eligible for an IR-1 visa. She'll want to come first and establish a domicile and work to show she can support him or she'll need a co-sponsor for the visa. Since he's UK he can visit her frequently but he will need to wait back home on the immigration interview at the designated US Embassy in the UK to formally come here.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Again, have you personally done this recently? (Post 2001?)

Just to change my wife's legal name when we got married took several months and MANY visits to MANY government offices. And she had been a citizen for 10 years at that point.

OP has no idea what she's in for. And a bunch of perpetual rose-colored replies isn't doing her any favors.
It's not a problem - we also have an immigration lawyer to deal with our paperwork so there won't be any pressure on us.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Actually that's a good point. Immigration will take some time. If they're married for longer than 2 years then he's eligible for an IR-1 visa. She'll want to come first and establish a domicile and work to show she can support him or she'll need a co-sponsor for the visa. Since he's UK he can visit her frequently but he will need to wait back home on the immigration interview at the designated US Embassy in the UK to formally come here.
Yes, that's our plan. We meet all the financial requirements and yes, we have been married for a lot longer than 2 years. Married in Las Vegas actually!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich111 View Post
It's not a problem - we also have an immigration lawyer to deal with our paperwork so there won't be any pressure on us.
Watch the first minute of this over and over until it starts to sink in:

I guarantee your immigration lawyer assures you that all will be well. Just keep paying your immigration lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: