Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:18 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike886 View Post
I spoke with Centurylink and they want 2 year contacts as well there are higher monthly costs.

Hot -We keep the phone on basic which is around 12.60/month when we are not there. I call them a couple of week prior to going down and tell them we would like the basic TV, High speed internet and premium phone service all install a couple of days before we get there and than a couple of weeks later when we have left I call can cancel it all and put the phone back to basic. They try to sell you on a seasonal hold but I just tell them I don't know when I'll be back. I have been doing it this way for the past 4 years
Ok thanks. I don't even have a phone in my place, I just use my cell phone.

With regards to TV I don't have a cox box, just tv through the ariel, I'm not sure what I'm getting but I seem to get a decent selection of stations. I know the previous owners used to get cable through the ariel, so maybe it just hasn't been switched off! I'm curious about what stations you get if you don't pay for anything, since I have no idea at all.

Apart from that freedompop, which is a new one for me, I've got, and have been using a Tmobile mifi hotspot. Works pretty well, and is a great little device. Data wasn't cheap, but its never long term use for me. In the last 10 months I've been to my house exactly zero times...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike886 View Post
I spoke with Centurylink and they want 2 year contacts as well there are higher monthly costs.
CenturyLink has 1 year agreements with 2 year guaranteed pricing. They are also good about finding you a new deal when your contract is up.

Old 05-22-2015, 12:29 PM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
CenturyLink has 1 year agreements with 2 year guaranteed pricing. They are also good about finding you a new deal when your contract is up.

their new commercial touts no price increase guarantee for 5 years with NO contract. deceptive? I didn't read the fine print

Old 05-22-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
their new commercial touts no price increase guarantee for 5 years with NO contract. deceptive? I didn't read the fine print

They (CenturyLink) has lots of different plans/deals right now. You'd have to call them to be 100% sure of what you can get.

Old 05-22-2015, 01:08 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvc8 View Post
I actually set up my internet yesterday and I went with Cox. As I went through the process of setting up Century Link, they just kept adding $20 here and $20 there. Plus, most of their plans were on a contract and to get a price that was competitive with Cox I would have had to sign a multi-year contract. There's no guarantee I'll be in Vegas next June so I couldn't do that. Their no-contract price was HUGE!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
I actually set up my internet yesterday and I went with Cox. As I went through the process of setting up Century Link, they just kept adding $20 here and $20 there. Plus, most of their plans were on a contract and to get a price that was competitive with Cox I would have had to sign a multi-year contract. There's no guarantee I'll be in Vegas next June so I couldn't do that. Their no-contract price was HUGE!
Wow.

I'm sitting at home with the CenturyLink guy here now as he is doing the installation. I was able to get internet and Prism TV together for less than Cox would charge me for internet alone. I am also getting a $100 Visa gift card and a $50 first bill credit, all fees waived. 1 year agreement, 2 year price guarantee.

I can't wait to tell Cox it is over!

Old 05-22-2015, 04:06 PM

256 posts, read 321,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Wow.

I'm sitting at home with the CenturyLink guy here now as he is doing the installation. I was able to get internet and Prism TV together for less than Cox would charge me for internet alone. I am also getting a $100 Visa gift card and a $50 first bill credit, all fees waived. 1 year agreement, 2 year price guarantee.

I can't wait to tell Cox it is over!
Yeah it probably didn't help that we weren't interested in any bundeling. We don't want cable or home phone. Plus, a lot of it is about cost. Cox is letting me use my own modem/router so the up-front costs were much lower. I'm sure if I had called and spoken to a real person the result would have been different, but I was satisfied with what Cox has to offer. As long as the service is better than Charter than I will be happy.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlloyd87 View Post
Yeah it probably didn't help that we weren't interested in any bundeling. We don't want cable or home phone. Plus, a lot of it is about cost. Cox is letting me use my own modem/router so the up-front costs were much lower. I'm sure if I had called and spoken to a real person the result would have been different, but I was satisfied with what Cox has to offer. As long as the service is better than Charter than I will be happy.
Yes, I almost did my service request online, but am glad I called in. They were able to get me better discounts and waived all fees.

I was going to not have any TV service, but this price was too good. I'm getting the TV for next to nothing with a better channel lineup than Cox. I had nothing but issues with Cox for the last 18 months. had to call at least once a month with one issue or another. (I am on my third settop box in less than 2 years with issues) I am actually paying the cancellation fee to get out of my contract So worth it!

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
While we use Cox for high-speed internet and local phone, we use Sling TV for cable channels. For $19.99 per month you get a good variety of cable channels which would cost significantly more with Cox. I also like the fact that I can access Sling TV on my smart phone or laptop. Here is the link to the Web site: https://www.sling.com/.
Thanks for the reminder on this! When I first looked at it, they didn't have AMC ( no Walking Dead, no deal) but now they do! Yay!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:35 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,336 times
Pure Talk uses AT&T towers, $18 a month for 1500 minutes. Data costs extra. I pay $50 a month for a T Mobile Hot spot (7 GB). Since I use an antenna for free TV, my monthly costs are reasonable. At some point I'll upgrade, but for now it's good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: