Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 06:57 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post

At some point people will realize how bad it is and how much worse it will get but by the time they realize it will be too late.
According to the employment/unemployment forum, most people have realized this since 2008. That is about seven years of everyone dealinh with the cards they were dealt. Either you could have buckled down/bootstrapped/get educated/invested/saved/whatever...or continue on a path and continue to blame the system.(yes, the system in place is skewed and f*cked up.) but what can we do? What can an individual do? Turn some lemons into lemonade I guess.

Upward mobility was easier back in the day, you are right. But there are some people that have RECENTLY experienced upward mobility within the last five years, yet someone will make an excuse of why they can't or won't do that. My North Dakota experience for example.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,431 times
Did you read the story of Raising Cane's, the chicken strip chain?

The founder did anything he can to raise money, including going to Alaska to work in dangerous fishing industry.

There are people who saved up tons working at McDonald and they pool together to form successful businesses.

Just saying. You can't change your environment, but you can find creative solutions. If not by yourself, together with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
According to the employment/unemployment forum, most people have realized this since 2008. That is about seven years of everyone dealinh with the cards they were dealt. Either you could have buckled down/bootstrapped/get educated/invested/saved/whatever...or continue on a path and continue to blame the system.(yes, the system in place is skewed and f*cked up.) but what can we do? What can an individual do? Turn some lemons into lemonade I guess.

Upward mobility was easier back in the day, you are right. But there are some people that have RECENTLY experienced upward mobility within the last five years, yet someone will make an excuse of why they can't or won't do that. My North Dakota experience for example.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Just raise the minimum wage. And then peg it to the CPI...
There are hundreds of serious economists who agree with you -- and hundreds who do not.

Personally, I think it would be better to raise the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) - a form of a "negative income tax." In fact, I think a combination of an EITC plus an elimination of the minimum wage would be best. That way, there is no barrier to entry into the workforce, and once in the workforce, an employee learns valuable things like showing up for work on time.

Then, the EITC ensures the employee has a minimum total income (wage plus EITC).

Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 AM

How about stop tipping to help servers?

Why You Should Stop Tipping - Reasons Not To Tip

Old 02-19-2015, 09:09 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV10101 View Post
I enjoy people telling their work history and believing everyone has those opportunities. Furthermore I enjoy when people tell those stories and stories are from many years ago with upward mobility was much easier to achieve...again failing to realize upward mobility isn't as easy to do today.

At some point people will realize how bad it is and how much worse it will get but by the time they realize it will be too late.
One of my aunt came here about 15 years ago. When she arrived here, she has nothing. Does not speak any English. Even now, her English is limited. She lived in her sister's (my other aunt) closest for next 3 years to save. Then she rent her own apartment with her parents. She was working as the cashier in a hardware store.

Then unfortunate hit her, she got really ill and had to quit her job. She was basically in and out of hospital/clinics for over a year. I know, I was translating for her.

She recovered and unemployed. She move on and found work in the restaurant as a wait staff. Shortly, a friend introduced her to work in the nail salon and she been working in there for many years. She now making a decent living. Last year, she bought her first home.

Of course, people who are lazy, simply don't want change or acquire a new skill will come up with any reason that "My aunt's story" is an exception, etc. Yes, working hard does not guarantee success. But opportunity only available to those who are prepared. I can tell that, my aunt does not has a plan to be a "career cashier" or a "career waitress" or a "career manicurist". When a better opportunity exist, for example: a nail salon is for sales at a reasonable price, she will buy it and be her own boss.

Don't give crap like it is harder now than before. I know back in the early 90s, when I was looking for a job, I have to buy a newspaper, write my cover letter, resume and then mail it. Now, you go online to a job board and see thousand of a job. You did a search and find what is match, you then forward your resume. Done in less than 5 minutes.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Have you not been to Europe?

Waiters are paid higher because there is little tipping or expectation.

Check out Rick Steves comments:

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...ping-in-europe

"At table-service restaurants, the tipping etiquette and procedure vary slightly from country to country. But in general, European servers are well paid, and tips are considered a small “bonus” — to reward great service or for simplicity in rounding the total bill to a convenient number."

Quote:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM

82 posts, read 88,393 times
Semantics.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Have you not been to Europe?

Waiters are paid higher because there is little tipping or expectation.

Ah. Since you don't agree with the way servers' wages are handled in this country, you (and only people like you) are going to stiff servers because of ideology. Why not give them an economics lesson as well as no tip? I'm sure they'll love that.

That will work just great.

If you want to change the system, open your own restaurant and handle compensation however you'd like. Show the rest of the country how you know better.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Someone has already beat me to it and they are doing well.

Tipless restaurants: The Linkery’s owner explains why abolishing tipping made service better.

Quote:
Ah. Since you don't agree with the way servers' wages are handled in this country, you (and only people like you) are going to stiff servers because of ideology. Why not give them an economics lesson as well as no tip? I'm sure they'll love that.

That will work just great.

If you want to change the system, open your own restaurant and handle compensation however you'd like. Show the rest of the country how you know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas