Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM

670 posts, read 1,107,004 times

Advertisements

I agree with all that has been said about driving in the left lane and will add one more:

Another major issue with the left lane snowflakes is emergency vehicles. I absolutely can't believe it when I see some asshat cruising in the left lane holding up several cars AND and ambulance or police cruiser. It's crazy! My favorite is when everyone has moved out of the way and the emergency vehicle FINALLY gets to the first car cruising along in his merry own world blocking the left lane and the guy just sits there for a few moments (or longer) then the inevitable sudden jerk of the wheel into the right lane when he finally notices the lights and sirens feet from their rear bumper.

Next time you see an emergency vehicle (especially an ambulance) on the interstate and he's not exiting note that he's usually in the left lane. Why? Because it should be reasonably clear of traffic and certainly clear of traffic moving at the speed of the general flow.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:08 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,578,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
to me speed is causing only 30% of all accidents.
Going way to slow, cutting in the front of other cars, braking without reason , using cellphones , failing to stop at a stop sign or traffic light is far more serious.

Me and my family were involved in 6 accidents here in NV in past 10 years, and NEVER speed was the factor. NEVER.

One time lady didn't stop at stop sign, second time lady didn't see me on her right side line because was making phone call (and was still on the phone after accident!) , third time lady hit my car while pulling out from her parking space, fourth time lady.....
You must be terrified every time you see a woman step into a vehicle by this point.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM

670 posts, read 1,107,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
At every drivers ed testing, they need to show a series of extremely graphic car and motorcycle accident clean up photos. Just completely mangled remains...
Then, have little phrases pop up like, "this person was drunk... This person was texting... This person was weaving through traffic with no helmet..."
They did this when I took Drivers Ed in Vermont in High School in the early 90's. There were several movies IIRC one was called "Red Asphalt".

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if schools can't show this these days.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,139,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I disagree. (Not with the people are stupid part. But with the real root of the problem part.)

I meant the root of the problem is a lack of education. People doing all sorts of things wrong because they don't know any better.

People who come to a stop, beside the turning lane, then get into the turning lane, cause accidents.
That should never happen. This is just one example of many.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,029,433 times
Then we digress on how to solve the problem. No biggie. I don't think showing people what they're doing wrong is going to fix anything. If we want the pleasant driving experience they enjoy in Germany, then we should emulate their system. (And anyone who has driven in both Germany and America can attest to how much better it is in Germany.)

Old 01-12-2015, 05:02 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,803,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
They did this when I took Drivers Ed in Vermont in High School in the early 90's. There were several movies IIRC one was called "Red Asphalt".

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if schools can't show this these days.
I graduated from HS in Massachusetts in the early 90s and watched the same film.. gruesome, but never forgot it.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,139,029 times
In Florida, you can't dismiss tickets. I lost my license twice from too many points. I ended up having to get SR22 insurance, which ran me 500 a month. Guess how many tickets I got after that?
Dozens. Why? Because I like to drive as though I were in a rally.
I don't wreck, or doing anything stupid like pulling out in front of cars moving at a good pace. I just went fast, and took corners aggressively. There was nothing the government could have done, short of locking me up, that would have kept me from continuing to drive as I did. What stopped me was getting a full size truck. Thing handled like crap. Slowed me down.
If I get another sports car, I'll probably go right back to driving like a race car driver. The wife has barred me from getting a sports car, lol.

For the record, it's been years since I last got pulled over, and my driving record is clean.

I am just one of a million people who these misguided penalties won't work on.
Look at how many people, despite drugs being illegal, are in jail for drugs. How has punishment helped them stop doing drugs? It hasn't. It won't.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,789,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
road adjacent my house has a posted speed limit of 35 mph. my best guess would be that the average speed of drivers is somewhere around 50 mph and i see many folks going as fast as 80 or higher

there are plenty of factors other than speed, but i feel it's really poorly enforced here

the jury is still out on whether fixed speed and red light cameras actually save lives, but given the current state of things, it's worth a shot

all 2-way stop signs should be abolished. too many times i see people not stopping or stopping when they shouldn't. if i had it my way, most 4-way stop signs would be gone too, replaced by either traffic lights or roundabouts/turning circles.

there are so many nations doing better than usa in terms of road safety and there is no reason why america should be so low on this list

List of countries by traffic-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Red light cameras have been removed in at least one location where we just moved from. The biggest result (aside from money from tickets) was a drop in revenue for the businesses in the area because drivers (Me for one) simply avoided any streets that had them. And considering the amount of money consistently collected over time it proved they did not excel at "educating" drivers about speeding or running red lights.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:09 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,789,613 times
We all need to realize that until everyone is in a self-driving car the problems will not be resolved. Those "in charge" in this country don't have the balls to create laws that will solve anything. This is not Germany, and can't ever hope to come close.

We're stuck with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:23 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,424,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We all need to realize that until everyone is in a self-driving car the problems will not be resolved. Those "in charge" in this country don't have the balls to create laws that will solve anything. This is not Germany, and can't ever hope to come close.

We're stuck with it.
We have laws already that would eliminate many of the traffic problems if people would obey them. I go out and I obey the speed limits and don't drink and drive and don't text while driving, I stop at stop signs and red lights, use my signal when I turn or change lanes etc ............

If everyone else would do the same than there would be essentially no accidents or traffic problems regardless of what lane you are in etc.

It is when jack-holes doing 30 MPH over the speed limit come flying up on me flashing their lights expecting me to alter my driving behavior for their self absorbed needs that problems begin to arise. These people don't care that I am in the process of overtaking another vehicle and therefore I can't move to the right so they instead think it is cool to ride a foot from my rear end flashing their lights and honking as if they are more important than anything else on the road. Those are the people that I love to drop my car into "Engine braking" mode on which slows my car substantially without lighting up my brake lights. The looks on their face is priceless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas