Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:12 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I disagree. (Not with the people are stupid part. But with the real root of the problem part.)

Look at Germany. That's the country with the best drivers, by far. They are no smarter (and no dumber) than Americans. I've lived there for long periods of time and have driven there. (It's an absolute joy to drive on the Autobahns. Especially if you're driving a car made in Stuttgart.)

Why is Germany so great and America so awful? Germans are freaking strict about their driving laws. They treat operating a motor vehicle as a privilege, while we treat it as a right. For instance, first offense DUI, Germany confiscates the drivers vehicle, auctions it off and uses the money to fund alcoholism programs. The DUI driver doesn't get their license back until a judge orders it. That's the first offense.

Speeding, passing on the right, running YELLOW lights and similar offenses are all dealt with swiftly and strictly (Big fines on the spot. Pay the traffic cop and then wait for the major insurance increase.) Ask any US Serviceman who was stationed in Germany. They'll be HAPPY to tell you how strict the Germans are about their traffic rules.

Meanwhile, we have Ticketbusters turning moving violations into parking violations. Don't get me wrong, if I had a traffic ticket I'd use them, too. But if we adopted Germany's model, we would enjoy driving like they do.
Right on about driving in Germany. Most pleasant driving experience of my life. I also like the fact that Germans respect the left lane and the flashing headlights system. (If you see flashing lights behind you in the left lane, get the f*ck out of the way).

I wish America could adopt this system along with a few others. Would make freeways a lot more safer. Mandatory vehicle safety inspections should be implemented also. Last time I was in a Home Depot's parking lot I counted three trucks with balding tires with cords showing. Almost made me want to hurry home before those trucks hit the street.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:15 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,796,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Right on about driving in Germany. Most pleasant driving experience of my life. I also like the fact they Germans respect the left lane and the flashing headlights system. (If you see flashing lights behind you in the left lane, get the f*ck out of the way).

I wish America could adopt this system along with a few others. Would make freeways a lot more safer. Mandatory vehicle safety inspections should be implemented also. Last time I was in a Home Depot's parking lot I counted three trucks with balding tires with cords showing. Almost made me want to hurry home before those trucks hit the street.
SO true! Here, if you try flashing lights to the person doing 62 in the left lane, they're more apt to slam on their brakes than to move over..

Old 01-12-2015, 11:18 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,172,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
SO true! Here, if you try flashing lights to the person doing 62 in the left lane, they're more apt to slam on their brakes than to move over..
Thus forcing everyone behind them to pass in the right lane.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:21 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,422,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
If I am in the left (#1) lane doing 65, over-taking someone in the #2 lane that is doing 62 and someone flashes their headlights at me before I am done over-taking and have enough clearance to move into the #2 lane myself, you bet your bottom dollar I am going to slam on my brakes.

Also, the express lane on I-15 is not meant to be a "fast lane". It is for those that don't need to exit on any of "The Strip" exits and therefore don't want to sit in the mess that those exits create in the 4 right hand lanes. Therefore, don't get all pissy at me when I am doing 65 in the express lane.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:31 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,014,915 times
They're pissy for good reason:

Most of the country agrees that the left lane is for people who are driving faster. Slower drivers MUST move. It's the law. Only special snowflakes think they have some sort of right to "enjoy the lack of merging that the left lane generally provides." Even the I-15 express section is two lanes, that way slower drivers have someplace to go so they are out of the way.

Proves my point that we are lax enforcing traffic rules.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:38 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,166,227 times
So we've gone from poor driving skills in the rain to get out of the way of people in a rush. I always like the people who pass me on the surface streets - actually accelerate, cut in front of me, then wear out their brakes because the light is red, as it always is.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM

244 posts, read 440,857 times
most people don't know about left line rule. And how they will know if they never been to Europe or heard about it while in driving school.

The worst thing is when I drive to work at 4 AM some people drive 55-60 mph on freeway in LEFT LINE !

One time I was pulled of by police because he "taught" I was speeding. I was going 70 mph in middle line while passing stupid people doing 55-60 mph in LEFT LINE. Because of them that made me look like I was speeding. And only way to pass them was using middle or right line.
I got only warning fortunately.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:54 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,796,779 times
It should be simple common sense. The left lane is for passing. If you see cars behind you, and you're still in the passing lane, just speed up a few miles per hour if you can't immediately pull to the right. It will result in fewer backups, and everyone can be on their way.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:55 AM

1,825 posts, read 5,318,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioni888 View Post
I was going 70 mph in middle line while passing stupid people doing 55-60 mph in LEFT LINE. Because of them that made me look like I was speeding. And only way to pass them was using middle or right line.
I got only warning fortunately.
By your own admission you WERE speeding. 5 over, book 'em danno.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:56 AM

244 posts, read 440,857 times
to me speed is causing only 30% of all accidents.
Going way to slow, cutting in the front of other cars, braking without reason , using cellphones , failing to stop at a stop sign or traffic light is far more serious.

Me and my family were involved in 6 accidents here in NV in past 10 years, and NEVER speed was the factor. NEVER.

One time lady didn't stop at stop sign, second time lady didn't see me on her right side line because was making phone call (and was still on the phone after accident!) , third time lady hit my car while pulling out from her parking space, fourth time lady.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas