Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:08 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I have experienced -36.... I grew up in PA.

After getting used to 110, 30 degrees is cold.
JFYI, Las Vegas had only 1 day this past summer of 110* or higher. On 1 July 2014, it hit 111*. This was one of the cooler summers on record for Las Vegas.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:10 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft_chief View Post
JFYI, Las Vegas had only 1 day this past summer of 110* or higher. On 1 July 2014, it hit 111*. This was one of the cooler summers on record for Las Vegas.
All depends on what part of the valley the temperature is read. The airport is the most common, but it can get 5-10 degrees warmer in other parts of the valley, just like you won't see 110 very often in Centennial Hills, as it's 5+ degrees cooler. Lots of little micro-ecosystems in the valley.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:11 AM

499 posts, read 1,059,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee33 View Post
Contrary to EA's previous post in this thread, it doesn't get 'cold' here.. I was born in upper Michigan, and grew up in Wisconsin.. What we get here isn't even close to cold.. I've been here 10 years and the heaviest coat I own is a windbreaker for Dec/January maybe..

After several months of hot, the cool feels good.. Sometimes its chilly, but until you've felt highs of minus -10 and wind chills of minus -40, you don't know what cold is..
True... I grew up in MN, it is only late fall weather here in Dec/Jan compared to MN.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCee33 View Post
Contrary to EA's previous post in this thread, it doesn't get 'cold' here.. I was born in upper Michigan, and grew up in Wisconsin.. What we get here isn't even close to cold.. I've been here 10 years and the heaviest coat I own is a windbreaker for Dec/January maybe..

After several months of hot, the cool feels good.. Sometimes its chilly, but until you've felt highs of minus -10 and wind chills of minus -40, you don't know what cold is..

Winter may not be "back east" cold, but it is still cold. I am Iowa born and raised and I KNOW cold. Vegas was colder than I wanted to experience in the winters going forward, it was one of the top 2 reasons I chose Phoenix over Vegas. (the other was lack of jobs which the OP needn't worry about as a reitree) One weekend in Vegas in December was all it took for me!

Just because it isn't as cold as many places, it may still be too cold for someone looking to move away from harsh winters (like myself).

Old 12-01-2014, 01:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,041,460 times
Glad to hear you drive. Not driving is a hardship for any of the cities you mentioned. Or anywhere in the west other than perhaps San Francisco.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Winter may not be "back east" cold, but it is still cold. I am Iowa born and raised and I KNOW cold. Vegas was colder than I wanted to experience in the winters going forward, it was one of the top 2 reasons I chose Phoenix over Vegas. (the other was lack of jobs which the OP needn't worry about as a reitree) One weekend in Vegas in December was all it took for me!

Just because it isn't as cold as many places, it may still be too cold for someone looking to move away from harsh winters (like myself).
As another ex-Iowan I cast silliness upon you.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:52 PM

654 posts, read 1,323,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Well, as I found out the hard way, it gets quite cold here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Oh, Puh-Lease!

You both make it sound like it's just south of Siberia here.

Sure, it can get cold in brief spurts, like that weekend in December. It was a weekend, a brief anomaly. It might drop below freezing a few times a year, if that. That kind of stuff can happen a lot of places, unless you're close to the equator or in a tropical climate.

That doesn't make it cold here. Maybe you'll find the odd thin-skinned local complaining, but overall it's quite mild. The coldest time of year (Dec/Jan) it generally gets down to 35-40 degrees overnight & about 55-60 & sunny during the day. I can go out to get the paper IN SHORTS during the day in December & January. I don't get the winter blahs from overcast & cold all the time (Minnesota & Chicago both like that); most days are sunshine here. Yes, please!

I just flew back to Minnesota & traveled with family to Milwaukee for an aunt's funeral. It was 7 degrees with a windchill well below zero when I landed, it snowed most of the trip & road conditions were not good. THAT is cold. (I've experienced much worse, but it's definitely enough to notice the cold.)

For the OP & anyone else curious: If you're from a cold weather climate, you'll love the weather here. It's quite mild in winter months, albeit with brief cold spurts. Overall it's far preferable to Chicago/Toronto/Minnesota (lived in all three) as well as compared to most cold weather climates. Even in the summer I don't have a problem; I don't go crazy outside when it's 110 degrees, but even that I find more tolerable than 90 degrees & humid in the midwest. The low humidity helps a lot in that respect.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
Not in my back yard... Anymore (Actually my previous front yard)

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 AM

775 posts, read 776,720 times
If you are retiring in Vegas and can drive, you are ok, and it is great for drivers compared to other cities. However, there is incredible public and political resistance to accommodating those who cannot. You just stay home unless you can walk around the corner to a community center or similar. You may not be able to get to your place of worship. No one cares, even if you want to go out and support the local community (gambling) or go to work or otherwise be productive outside your front door. None of the previous posters alluded to that. It is not just being car centric, there is a very strong public opposition to anything other than cars. No one wants to pay for alternatives to driving or cabs, even though many could. Retirement should include some "later in life" planning, which excludes driving for many. Live on the Strip if you think you can beat that with reliance on cabs. They don't care if you wait til Hell freezes over for a ride. Mobility is the most important thing, aside from health, for survival in later years, and should be a part of your decision. Don't disregard that, please! This is an "each man for himself" and an "I'm all right Jack" kind of place. Read our paper to see how well it works for pedestrians, too.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 AM

775 posts, read 776,720 times
By the way, I was born in Fargo ND and grew up in central MN. Iowa is tropical! . Vegas is fabulous! I keep a bad ass snow scraper in my car just because....and it reminds me from whence I came. If you think taking the bus here sucks, imagine up there! There have been a few times I have used the scraper when no one else could get one. I shared and made friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: