Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM

52 posts, read 99,547 times

Advertisements

Contrary to EA's previous post in this thread, it doesn't get 'cold' here.. I was born in upper Michigan, and grew up in Wisconsin.. What we get here isn't even close to cold.. I've been here 10 years and the heaviest coat I own is a windbreaker for Dec/January maybe..

After several months of hot, the cool feels good.. Sometimes its chilly, but until you've felt highs of minus -10 and wind chills of minus -40, you don't know what cold is..

Old 11-30-2014, 04:04 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,118,948 times
I have experienced -36.... I grew up in PA.

After getting used to 110, 30 degrees is cold.

Last edited by observer53; 12-01-2014 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: language

Old 11-30-2014, 04:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Some years are cold (subjective to people who do not come from cold states). Some years are very mild like this year. So far this November has been warm (78 degrees nov 29th). But it can get a bit chilly in stretches. I work outdoors and it can get chilly in the morning, but in the afternoon I usually down to my T-shirt after taking my jacket off. Its a really nice climate compared to most of the US other than California in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:20 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
I'm not sure about Las Vegas, how many snowbirds come here in winter/late Fall only, thus reducing the population the rest of the year. Anyone know the figures? But it's something to consider!

I do know both Phoenix and Tucson, and particularly Yuma, have a part time population issue. Years ago, when I was in Tucson, considering 55+ Tucson Estates, with its 1600 mobile homes, my agent told me: 50-60% of the residents are snowbirds and don't live here year round. So, if you live there year round, you'll have part-time neighbors, which explains why this community, built in the early 60's, still doesn't have a major grocery store for that community.

I think Yuma, or Lake Havasu, would be even worse, from that perspective!

For dry, you can't beat Las Vegas! 4 inches of precip. a year in Las Vegas, 7-8 inches in Phoenix, and 10-11 inches for Tucson.

And? Thank God, we don't have the termite problems of Arizona! Untreated, they can, literally, eat your house up down there! I had constant termite problems with my house in Phoenix, when I lived there, and my neighbor had to have his whole roof replaced due to termite damage! Ever hear of that happening here in Las Vegas?

Old 11-30-2014, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 60,115 times
Thank you everyone. I hate to sound stupid, but what are "the sun cities"? Can I assume that the Sun Cities are Tucson, Phoenix, and LV?

Yes to everyone who talked about cars. I have a car and I am used to driving. And, it is an old car - lower registration fees.

I will have to investigate what is involved in getting a teacher's license in NV. I have been teaching for 20 years, so there may be reciprocity. I'll investigate it. But, really, I was more interested in non-school teaching. In NY, the library system offers English classes to non-English speakers. Perhaps there are English classes for adults that are outside the school system.

I will also check out the Jewish Federation. Thank you for the link.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:09 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,683 times
There are two cities in central New Mexico you should consider: Rio Rancho especially, and the north side of Albuquerque (both include small but representative Jewish communities). And here in Texas, the Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio corridor (not Waco!) is considered one of the best areas for retirees (including the Jewish component). There is humidity, though. El Paso and Southwestern New Mexico should be on your list of areas to look at-- but, there is less of a Jewish community.

In five years I will be retiring at the age of 62 (doctor) to Santa Fe, NM (Episcopal ).

Old 12-01-2014, 12:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingWarmAndDry View Post
Thank you everyone. I hate to sound stupid, but what are "the sun cities"? Can I assume that the Sun Cities are Tucson, Phoenix, and LV?

Yes to everyone who talked about cars. I have a car and I am used to driving. And, it is an old car - lower registration fees.

I will have to investigate what is involved in getting a teacher's license in NV. I have been teaching for 20 years, so there may be reciprocity. I'll investigate it. But, really, I was more interested in non-school teaching. In NY, the library system offers English classes to non-English speakers. Perhaps there are English classes for adults that are outside the school system.

I will also check out the Jewish Federation. Thank you for the link.
No, the "Sun Cities" are master planned retirement communities. There are several in the Phoenix area, there are also Sun City communities in Tucson, and in Las Vegas. A Google search will give you lots of information.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
We moved to a Sun City. SC Summerlin. We also considered SC Anthem on the other end of town, but couldn't find a house we liked that was reasonably priced. Those were choices for us because they have woodworking shops and Bridge available.

We love it. Admittedly we have not been as active in the community as we had anticipated because we have spent a considerable amount of time working on the house and yard, but we have met some great people here.

One thing you can do is look for VRBO for rentals. We did that a few years back in July/August here to test the heat. We found it to be hot, but the lack of humidity really does make a difference. You treat the seasons the opposite of where you are now. Go out in Winter, stay in in summer.

Here's VBRO for Las Vegas.

VRBO - Las Vegas Vacation Rentals

And the magazine for Sun City Summerlin

http://www.suncitylink.com/

Old 12-01-2014, 09:24 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
No one answered this directly. "Sun City" is some developer's brand name for 55yo+ (ie Senior) communities. There's a Sun City Summerlin, Sun City Anthem, etc.. When you hear that name, think no kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingWarmAndDry View Post

Old 12-01-2014, 10:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Except in summer and at holidays. We see children all the time here. They just don't live here full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: